Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

Scrooby

Such a set-up recalls the prehistoric days when PTA edited his films from VCR to VCR; and recalls the production company of EWS : "Hobby Films".

PTA—shooting his "event film" as if it were a home movie!

Find Your Magali

$175M + PG-13 + major VFX indicates to me there must be some sci-fi and/or futuristic elements. Not sure why the cost would be so high otherwise. They are clearly aiming for a commercial bonanza.

Heisenberg

You can hear plenty of f bombs in the leaked set videos. This isn't pg 13

wilberfan

Quote from: Find Your Magali on March 28, 2024, 10:10:38 AM$175M + PG-13 + major VFX indicates to me there must be some sci-fi and/or futuristic elements. Not sure why the cost would be so high otherwise. They are clearly aiming for a commercial bonanza.

The notion of a blockbuster hit from PTA is rather mind-boggling, to be honest.

Scrooby

Quote from: Find Your Magali on March 28, 2024, 10:10:38 AMcommercial bonanza.

Why muse on possible grosses? An idle pastime; but also a hope. What if, say, PTA has a 2001 : A Space Odyssey–type movie waiting in the b.g., a production to ramp up only if the (previously unthinkable) opportunity arises—i.e., a colossal hit awarding him Nolanesque carte blanche?

With Leo in the picture :

2010 Inception $839 million
2012 Django Unchained $426 million
2013 The Great Gatsby $353.6 million
2013 The Wolf of Wall Street $406.9 million
2015 The Revenant $533 million
2019 Once Upon a Time in Hollywood $377.6 million
2023 Killers of the Flower Moon $157 million

Glinda the Good Witch believes Leo can absolutely still hit $500 mil and higher without breaking a sweat—with the right project;—and it helps that IMAX is in the Situation.

e.g.,

Top Gun: Maverick (2022) $1,495,696,292

The Upcoming PTA Event Film should be the smartest blockbuster of summer 2025. 

The current Situation may be the most crucial in PTA's career; possibly just-about equivalent in criticality to "getting his first break".

Find Your Magali

The most delicious irony of all would be if it becomes such a box office success that the Academy shuns it.

Scrooby

1:25:13–1:34:12

What if we receive the following images not from Licorice Pizza but as if from a serious hardcore action picture? Are the shots convincing in that alternate context?

In retrospect—the Truck scene may be absorbed as an "out-of-town" tryout for PTA's next?

Find Your Magali

I'm thinking you could absolutely have made a Cabin Fever/The Hitcher type horror film with Alana and Cooper being terrorized by Bradley.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Find Your Magali on April 02, 2024, 10:23:42 PMI'm thinking you could absolutely have made a Cabin Fever/The Hitcher type horror film with Alana and Cooper being terrorized by Bradley.

Ohh, I'd actually love to see PTA make that kind of a horror film.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Scrooby

Basso ostinato.

Gazing into fading light; aware of coming dusk and night. Tension—terror slithers in darkness. // Superimposition : Alana is the fading light. Do not go gentle into that good night!

Cooper. What's that? God, my heart is pounding.
Alana. Oh s**t. It's him.

Cooper watches in horror as his past and future catch up to him.

Heroic fanfare of synaesthetic lights : confidence, concentration, dominance. A behemoth taking baby steps—one minor blip and the whole game's up.

Alana. God, I feel your heart pounding.
Cooper. Pay attention.

Scrooby

Revolution

"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks."

"A Declaration of Independence", in Malcolm X Speaks (New York : Grove Press, 1990), 21.

RudyBlatnoyd

Anyone got any idea what's going on with this movie? Are they on a long hiatus? Have they wrapped? What's the dealio?

Scrooby

Treasure hunt to pass a moment in overwhelming fun

(1:53:04)

(20:20)

Fitzroy

Can't recall if this was actually confirmed or just assumed, but it's mentioned in this Guardian interview with Jonny that he's scoring the new movie.

"And he's already started work on the next Paul Thomas Anderson film (rumoured to be starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn and Alana Haim), which will be their sixth collaboration, as well as another film with a different director. "I'm incredibly lucky that Paul indulges me and gives me so much time to experiment and compose," he says. "That's not usually the case in Hollywood, where the soundtrack writers are often very far down the food chain, and are sometimes given only a couple of days to bash out a complete score."

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/article/2024/may/10/jonny-greenwood-im-still-arsing-around-on-instruments-like-when-i-was-a-kid