The Neon Demon

Started by jenkins, April 14, 2016, 12:48:27 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Sure. No problem on disagreeing, and to tell you the truth, I'll be the first one to admit that as much as it rubbed me the wrong way and I did, in fact, hate it, it has been allowing for some interesting discussions lately. Most movies don't do that at all, so I'll give it that.
Si

Axolotl

This was really good. I totally get now why Only God Forgives had to kind of suck for Refn to get to this. You'd rarely see a movie so harmonious with and so monomaniacally obsessed with its stated and very obvious subject. Totally get why you'd hate it if you didn't want this. Refn is on a total ego trip (his is the only name in the credits that takes two rows to fit it in, he has this pretentious acronym going on in the opening, i get it, ok) but/and I love it.

JG

I'm with you. I was surprised by how much I loved it. I don't really care about Drive, its okay! I did not really like Only God Forgives but thought it made for a nice trailer. OGF does seem a logical stepping stone to a film like this...

I didn't mind the thin characterizations or dialogue in TND. I don't take it all very seriously. To me its a fun romp that's more about sound and color. The other night I watched Suspiria and I think if a movie like that came out today it would meet a similar response. The characters and story are definitely goofy, but the set design, color, and music etc. reach for something outside of what we ask from a traditional narrative. Its chasing a vibe.

The Neon Demon retells a familiar story about a young girl traveling to the big city to chase her dreams but dresses it up in modern skin. Its style feels more developed than Only God Forgives, which also threw out story in favor of vibe. Here the style is more organically interwoven with its subject matter - Refn makes the film feel like the commercials and photoshoots the film's main characters might appear in. Its very slick, I don't think many filmmakers could do it like this.

Also, I talked trash on the the characterizations, but I really like the performances here, especially by  Karl Glusman. He plays a very soft young man.

I think it would make a good double-feature with Under the Skin.

wilder

Quote from: Garam on September 10, 2016, 02:34:14 PM
Don't know while he's still going down this road when he already nailed it with Fear X.

Garam I can't tell if you loved or hated Fear X. If it's the former, I agree that that movie is the apex of this style Refn's been belaboring (with Neon Demon right behind it). I really, really dig that movie - its psychology and the visual style through which it's communicated completely makes sense to me. Everyone fucking hates it. I genuinely don't understand why. 

Edit - while we're talking about ND double features, I'm going to toss out Heathers as a movie that would pair well, too

Garam

Yep I love it too. Superb film.

wilder

John Turturro is great in Fear X, but the supporting cast really impresses. The actors are always playing something more intricate and layered interpersonally than what the scenes require on a base narrative level. This movie is about the journey not the end, which is maybe what frustrates people. Some clips for the uninitiated:

It's not streaming anywhere, but the DVD is available for less than a dollar on Amazon. Note that the German blu-ray is a muddy 1080i upscale from the DVD source and looks like garbage from what I've heard/seen.

Or torrent it. Whatever. Just watch it.

JG

Thank for recommending this. I watched it this morning and its definitely great. James Remar is really good.

wilder

So glad you liked it! One more Fear X fan. Mission accomplished.

cronopio2

wilder

QuoteReelist [25|May 07:38 AM]: Goddamnit if Fear x isn't my favorite Refn
Reelist [25|May 07:42 AM]: And I always looked at his filmography and thought it was the lamest fucking title. That couldn't have been his idea
Reelist [25|May 07:43 AM]: It should be called The Widower

Another member of La RĂ©sistance!