Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

WorldForgot

Some service, peacock maybe, had Bride and Seed of Chucky under Queer Horror which, like, not wrong but lolerz. Nightmare on Elm St II front and center. That's cool to see on a streaming service, though Dream Warriors is my fav (only seen the first four so far).

Rewatched Knock Knock last night - more of a comedy rly, poking fun at home invasion thrillers, but it's always fun for me. Thinking I'll do a Hostel double tn or Aftershock since I've never seen that.

Hulu has some of the Species series too.
Gonna watch that to make Polka proud.

Alethia

Saw the 4K restoration of Possession at the newly re-opened Metrograph today, where I saw it for the first time a few years ago on a not great 35mm print. I'd forgotten how, um, hilarious much of it is. And electrifying, damn. Isabelle Adjani's miscarriage/full-bodied freak out at the metro station, eggs and milk splashed across the wall as she writhes in torment, culminating in blood and puss pouring from her ears, white liquid streaming from her mouth, had the audience squirming and groaning.

So fucking good to be back at Metrograph. Was the last place I saw a movie before the Pandemic.

WorldForgot

Hell yeah!! Haven't seen that in a theater yet. That's a delight to know that some may not know the film well enough to expect that scene, or that it's so visceral they're still squirming.

polkablues

Quote from: WorldForgot on October 02, 2021, 06:56:47 PM
Hulu has some of the Species series too.
Gonna watch that to make Polka proud.

I can't speak to the actual quality of Species. I haven't seen it since I was like 14, which I'm pretty sure is the correct demographic for it.

Aftershock is an interesting one. As a full-scale disaster flick on a low budget, it makes some interesting choices.  It's a pretty bad movie overall, but I kind of like it regardless.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

Really cool designs. It was better than its reputation had lead me to expect. Gave me Puppet Master vibes, although obviously it's got a much higher budget. Pulpy genre fun with heavy emphasis on the psychic flashes of sexual impulse.

WorldForgot

Hostel Part II iz exactly the film you'd imagine it to be - or want it to be. Improves on the first in every way. Better locations, the bros are the villains this time via emasculated boardroom types, more inventive horror scenarios, and swift in its execution.

(also, there's a direct ref to De Palma's Body Double lol)

polkablues

Hostel 2 is definitely underrated, at least compared to the first movie. Roth's best by a long shot.

Hostel 3 is garbage, by the way. If you had any intention of watching it, I would recommend not bothering.

WorldForgot

:yabbse-grin: Thanks for the warning, Polka. I'll put it off until I'm in dire straits. Not sure I want to die without at least trying it. Cuz you know, what if one day I get to ask ol' Eli to let me take a (lead pipe) crack at the franchise. Gotta know how bad the *checks notes* Vegas (???) installment went.

polkablues

Speaking of garbage, I finally watched the Chris Rock Saw movie last night, and YIKES. I can see why the premise got the project off the ground, but then you hand it off to two terrible writers and put a terrible director at the helm (Darren Lynn Bousman's ongoing career is the mystery that keeps me up at night), and you let Chris Rock give THAT performance at the center of it all... Yikes out of 10. Two yikes up.

WorldForgot

^I had fun with that flick - but I dig Bousman's hammy approach to SAW II/III and Repo, so I kinda knew what to expect from this film that's more Cop-Melodrama than torture-horror. Oh yeah, it's bad, and hardly even notable as a horror, but the cop stuff is like Riverdale cheese trying to pass off as grit. Marisol Nichols from that YA Soap iz Spiral'z police chief - lol.

^ Hosted by Clive Barker with guests John Carpenter, Roger Corman, Ramsey Campbell, Lisa Tuttle and Pete Atkins.
Aired 1990

^Clive Barker dominating 30min of airtime on ABC with the easiest rhetoric against Conservative homophobia.

polkablues

The new Candyman was all right. Doesn't hold a candle to the original, but it looks nice, has a good cast, and has a handful of great scenes. It has some issues with tone; there's an inherent jokiness to some of the dialogue and performances that feels out of place. And structurally, it feels like they knew where they wanted to start the story and where they wanted to end it, but never quite cracked the code of how to get from here to there. But I liked it. Magnitudes better than the 90s sequels.

WorldForgot

Tomorrow 'night' 7pm EST I'll be streaming NIGHT OF THE EAGLE (1962) in the Xixax Discord -- culled by Reelist and Axo and I out of the 50 films Scorsese shared with Edgar Wright

"While the film was accessible to an under-aged audience in the US., it was rated "X" (adults only) in the UK on its initial release. It was later re-rated 15, then 12 for UK home video releases.

Film prints for the US release were preceded by a narrated prologue in which the voice of Paul Frees was heard to intone a spell to protect the audience members from evil. For protection, American theatre audiences were given a special pack of salt and words to an ancient incantation."

Retitled in the United States as Burn, Witch, Burn:

If you have flicks you'd like to stream on the discord, feel free to hop on whenever, or make a post with suggestions and we can schedule another ^_^

WorldForgot