Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: modageand in the most bizarre history i've ever seen he is made a werewolf because his mother is raped by a scuzzy homeless prisoner and he's born on christmas?
'Jesus was a werewolf and his father was a deadbeat' <--- future country classic.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

watched House tonite, not sure why.  i always had remembered the video box with the severed hand pushing the doorbell and the tagline "Ding Dong, You're Dead."  how to describe it?  it is a vietnam flashback haunted house comedy from the makers of Friday the 13th.  yep, it's as ridiculous as it sounds.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I remember drifting in and out of sleep while watching House a few years ago and being so confused.

I also remember seeing the video box when I was a kid. This one and The Ghoulies and Dead Alive and that Jennifer Connelly bug movie had some incredibly memorable poster art, at least from a five year old's point of view.

modage

yep, i remember those.  actually its funny now to go back and watch all these movies i remember seeing the boxes for when i was little. and in my mind they were the scariest things on the planet, (so scary i could barely even walk near the aisle in the video store!)  so now to find out most of them are pretty goofy and nowhere near as horrific as i had imagined them is strange.  and a little disappointing, but it leaves room for me to think that somebody out there someday will be able to capture on film what little kids carry around in their imaginations and it will scare the crap out of EVERYONE.

MacGuffin

The sequel has the best subtitle behind Breakin' 2 - Electric Boogaloo: House 2 - The Second Story.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Quote from: modageyep, i remember those.  actually its funny now to go back and watch all these movies i remember seeing the boxes for when i was little. and in my mind they were the scariest things on the planet, (so scary i could barely even walk near the aisle in the video store!)  so now to find out most of them are pretty goofy and nowhere near as horrific as i had imagined them is strange.  and a little disappointing, but it leaves room for me to think that somebody out there someday will be able to capture on film what little kids carry around in their imaginations and it will scare the crap out of EVERYONE.

What you just said, coincidentally, reminded me of what I wrote about Jeepers Creepers in the review I wrote back when it first came out:

Quote from: Ghostboy, circa 2001What I think I love about this film is that it is filled with all the imagery that will scare little kids to death; little kids believe in things that grown-ups dismiss, and those things run rampant in this film.

RegularKarate

I still really enjoy House and watch it every now and again.  

I've seen all of the house movies and almost all of the puppetmaster movies... I haven't gone back to watch the puppetmasters, but HOUSE... how can you not enjoy it?  It still even has a couple startling scares, but mostly, it's just funny.  BULL, From Night Court... HA!

72teeth

is it part 1 or 2 that has the dog-apillar...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

SPOILERS MAJOR>
i enjoyed it though the twist almost ruins it.  it would've been really great if this had ruled though.  man did the poster and those pictures from a year and a half ago seem like it could've ruled.  i was aware that 'a twist ruins the film' but didnt know what it was.  so from the beginning i was thinking please be ANYthing, ANYTHING but split personality.  even 'it was all a dream!' would be better than that!  but unfortunately, i didnt get my wish.  if i could erase that and make it just a crazy guy killing people for no explainable reason it would've been better.  but not the case.  when will it be officially over to use that?  if only the writer/director had realized that its so much more GUTSY to make this film WITHOUT the twist than with it.  why does everything need a clever twist?  it would've kicked more ass as a senseless relentless hardcore nightmare (like texas chainsaw original), though i did prefer this to the remake of that.  i liked the filmmaking for the most part though, so again, like several other filmmakers their scripts are getting in the way of their potential talent.  C+

modage

Quote from: cowboykurtisIf you like The Others I suggest watching the film in which it's derived - The Innocents - far better in my opinion (I guess they're technically both derived from the book, but...)

i watched The Innocents tonite.  it was good and i liked it about as well as The Others though they were quite different from each other overall.  though i do give credit to this film for being made in 1961 and still managing to have a few good scares and very creepy tone.  (favorite scene was when she is hiding behind the curtain.)  i had a good time trying to figure out SPOILERS MAJOR whether the kids were murdering everyone, or whether the 'ghosts' were dead or not, or whether the housekeepers had a conspiracy or whether she was going insane END SPOILERS the movie itself is GREAT LOOKING on dvd.  so let me further your recommendation to anyone who likes The Others or other spooky house movies of that ilk.

Ghostboy

Finally taking part in the Halloween viewing season, I watched Cronenberg's Scanners for the first time last night.

It's okay. I think it would have been really great had the lead actor actually been an actor. I'm trying to think of a performance that's actually worse, and at the moment, I really can't. It reduces many potentially great scenes to levels of unintentional comedy.

It's too bad, because the script is pretty smart, the concept is really damn intriguing. The exposition-free setup is terrific, and I love the revalation about the pregnant woman. And the special effects are awesome. The exploding head is flawless, of course, but the bulging vein effects at the end are fantastic, too, and do what special effects never do anymore: they make you wonder how did they do that? Cronenberg's direction is a little lax at times, but his touch is still quite recognizable (and the gunshot wounds predicate those in A History Of Violence quite nicely).

And Michael Ironside channels Jack Nicholson really well. It's a shame he had to act opposite a block of wood.

I give this six skulls out of ten.

modage

watched the Dead Zone, which despite being a David Cronenberg film of a Stephen King novel (and having the word "dead" in the title), is NOT a horror film.  doh!  i think my dad had told me that last year after netflixing it but not having time and i meant to update my list, oh well.  it was a decent movie overall though except for his martin sheen vision which was pretty cheesy.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modagei'm not saying theres a true top ten either.  i'm saying whats YOUR top ten?

I've arranged them in the order that they scared me.  This is off the top of my head...

10 - Nosferatu (I was mostly scared by the way he floated around when he walked, and the muisic that plays through it is very chilling to me)

9 - Eyes Without a Face (The idea of it was pretty creepy, but what topped it was the ending which was a bad idea to watch before going to sleep)

8 - Night of the Living Dead (The thing that stuck with me the most was the man walking in the beginning and now I'm pretty much afraid of strangers in graveyards)

7 - Exorcist (Do I have to explain this one? I wouldn't say it's the scariest movie of all time, but holy shit... they really crossed the line at some points)

6 - Jaws (I used to be scared of being stranded out in the middle of the ocean, now it's completely solidified.)

5 - Carnival of Souls - (It could've just been the time I was watching it, but the images in this movie really stayed imprinted in my brain... really creepy faces...)

4 - Freaks (The ending.  Oh, God... The ending.)

3 - Alien (I wanted to see it so bad when I was a kid, even though I had no idea what it was about.  Many, many nightmares followed.)

2 - Event Horizon (Contorted my brain, fucked it, and then scared it.)

1 - The Shining (Everything a scary movie should have.)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Quote from: walruS10 - Nosferatu
9 - Eyes Without a Face
8 - Night of the Living Dead
7 - Exorcist
6 - Jaws
5 - Carnival of Souls
4 - Freaks
3 - Alien
2 - Event Horizon
1 - The Shining
-2 points for letting Criterion tell you what good horror films are.
-1 point for not having a good famous monster film made after the silent era.  (dracula, frankenstein, werewolves, etc.)
-2 points for including freaks because its not a horror film.
-1 point for ranking event horizon so highly, because no matter how freaky it is there is no way it ranks above exorcist or alien or night of the living dead.
-3 points for not including an evil dead film.  c'mon, who are you?