Will he ever win an Oscar?

Started by Disco Stu, April 25, 2004, 04:46:31 PM

ono

Quote from: P.T.A.And I thought I had fan support.
What a loser.  Posting on an Internet message board on New Year's Eve.  Don't you have a derivative movie to write, or a certain Ms. Apple's doorstep to cry on?  I realize the irony.  My middle name is Irony.  My maiden name is Ironical.

private witt

Today in my ADVANCED screenwriting class someone actually asked "what was up with the piano?"  I explained and tried as hard as I could not to roll my  eyes when I did.  Advanced screenwriting, mind you.  PTA will win an Oscar some day bue it will be for the worst movie he ever makes.  That's how the Academy works.  
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

MacGuffin

Quote from: private wittPTA will win an Oscar some day bue it will be for the worst movie he ever makes.  That's how the Academy works.

Spielberg didn't win for Hook.  :yabbse-undecided:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

don't you mean lost world?  i hold out for hook simply because of how much i liked it when i was a kid.

modage

my vote might be for Always.  although hook and lost world can be pointed to for spielbergs weaknesses/excesses easier.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

always is another one that i will never ever excuse, but i could never truly dislike it, either.  it will always have a special place in my heart simply because of how much my mom loved it when i was a kid and richard dreyfuss.

but anyway, back to pta.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewarddon't you mean lost world?

There's a lot more I enjoy in Lost World than I do in Hook: I think the trailer/cliff scene is a great exercise in suspense, especially the glass cracking; the waterfall turning blood red when the guys gets eaten; the amazing shot of the rapors cutting through the tall grass; the dog house dangling from the T-Rex's mouth...

Like Batman Returns, I like how the tone shifted darker (almost black-comedic) from the first film to the second one. I'd even put Lost World above 1941.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinI'd even put Lost World above 1941.
oh, thats right.  so bad i'd forgotten about it completely.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

private witt

1941 is in that sort of highschool theatre musucal category of film like grease and...god...shit, anybody here go to hishschool?  help me out.  what kind of fucked world do we live in where John is dead and Jim is still making 'According to Jim'?
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

cine

Quote from: private wittwhat kind of fucked world do we live in where John is dead and Jim is still making 'According to Jim'?
oh private witt.. Not Just A Clever Name, indeed.

fulty

Quote from: molly...Magnolia was close to winning but the year was spectacular...

Yeah, rats.

I got a new TV and had to give it a real test.
So I watched American Beauty & Magnolia back to back..!!
They are both great movies, but Magnolia should have won.

Just wondering how life would be different if PTA had been given...
Oh well, I'll just sit here alone in the dark.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Myxo

Who knows..

Maybe if they start giving awards to PTA, he'll jump the shark.

I prefer that he remains unheralded really.

Pubrick

that makes no sense.

the real question is.. will he ever make another movie?
under the paving stones.

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrickthat makes no sense.

I love PTA and his obscure un-award-winning movies. He deserves all the accolades in the world for his great films, but I actually like it that the mainstream shuns him.

mogwai

Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: Pubrickthat makes no sense.

I love PTA and his obscure un-award-winning movies. He deserves all the accolades in the world for his great films, but I actually like it that the mainstream shuns him.
great answer.