PTA vs Fincher

Started by meatball, October 18, 2003, 05:35:36 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickWoody should tell PT how the awards are all farces... two geniuses that may never be properly acknowledged by their peers until long after their career is over...

Three Oscars and the most nominations for writing (13; more than Billy Wilder) are not enough for Woody?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

but he doesn't go...

I think that was the connection trying to be made...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

i'm really surprised that this article or interview of PTA talking about Fight Club is not on the pta site or internet somewhere....i'm really interested now.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SHAFTR

Interesting how on his own message board, Kevin Smith insults Magnolia...and he gets criticized, very heavily.

At the Oscars, PTA shows a complete disregard for respect...yet he was just blowing off steam.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SHAFTRInteresting how on his own message board, Kevin Smith insults Magnolia...and he gets criticized, very heavily.

At the Oscars, PTA shows a complete disregard for respect...yet he was just blowing off steam.

I agree with you on what you say, but for me, a huge PT fan and also a big Kevin Smith fan, the best way to deal with this is just to let go and focus only on the movies, which is what those two guys (and also Fincher) are really good at.
Si

Finn

I think that PTA has become like QT in the sense that they can both be snobs. They're fame and success has gone to their heads and sometimes they can be snobbish and self-absorbed. As if they're saying, "Whatever I say is right and everyone else is wrong".
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

meatball

Quote from: SydneyI think that PTA has become like QT in the sense that they can both be snobs. They're fame and success has gone to their heads and sometimes they can be snobbish and self-absorbed. As if they're saying, "Whatever I say is right and everyone else is wrong".

I totally agree. Both are very inspiring though.

Sleuth

Quote from: meatball
Quote from: SydneyI think that PTA has become like QT in the sense that they can both be snobs. They're fame and success has gone to their heads and sometimes they can be snobbish and self-absorbed. As if they're saying, "Whatever I say is right and everyone else is wrong".

I totally agree. Both are very inspiring though.

Agreed with both posts.  I was going to say something like that earlier but I was afraid I would be crucified
I like to hug dogs

Banky

Yeah Kevin Smith is sucha fucking snob check this
shit out

SHAFTR

Quote from: BankyYeah Kevin Smith is sucha fucking snob check this
shit out

is that sarcasm?

Banky

what does the link tell you?

tpfkabi

well, since i'll never get to read PTA's comments on Fight Club in the PTA Comments about Fight Club thread......i did read the Rolling Stone, QT article and apparently he liked Fight Club quite a bit.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Bankywhat does the link tell you?

that kevin smith is very cool to do something like that.

Banky

molly

I think Fight Club is a great film. We like to think that people when become sick are pure angels, and that's just not true. Finding out that you have cancer only means that your days are maybe numbered. Cancer kills slowly and silently, and people are faced with the fact that they have been living for some time, and it will soon be over. What have they achieved? What could they be proud of? What are they leaving behind? How soon people are going to forget about them, and live their life? Fear: is there anything on "the other side", or just darkness, nothing,...?
In support groups people are just continuing their roles they have played all their life. After few meetings you can recognize who's The Boss, The Scapegoat, The Baby of the group...
If you don't believe me, watch "Lorenzo's Oil".