The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

In Mexico is the same thing that you say about Portugal.   I was going to see 21 grams in Spain but hesitated because of the dubbing.
Weird thing is,  I asked a couple of Spaniards (sp?) what did they think about that and they told me they prefered watching them dubbed.  I guess if you get used to watch movies without subtitles, it takes time getting used to watching them with,  regardless of any artistic interference.
context, context, context.

SmellyBoobFungus

i believe this is a very serious topic, and i feel we as cinephiles need to come up wtih a univeral response to the people who label movies weird...

the response should be effective yet funny.
Guy with spoon: My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big.
Banana: I am a banana!

Rejected

cine

Quote from: SmellyBoobFungusi believe this is a very serious topic, and i feel we as cinephiles need to come up wtih a univeral response to the people who label movies weird...

"No, you know what's weird? That tumour in your brain that's impeding you from thinking up a better word!!!"

SoNowThen

Quote from: SmellyBoobFungusi believe this is a very serious topic, and i feel we as cinephiles need to come up wtih a univeral response to the people who label movies weird...

My favorite is to say "you're a fucking idiot, and I wish cancer on your whole family". A tad harsh, perhaps, but effective.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

Quote from: rustinglassI will never understand that problem with the subtitles. How lazy can you be? All I ever see are subtitled films and I shudder to think of watching them dubbed. They dub films in Spain, how do the spanish folk here handle that? I'm reallt glad I grew up in a country whose film distributers never opted through dubbing films instead of subtitling them. (except for the children films, which are released in both versions)

not that I'm for dubbing, but the thing I can't stand the most about dubbing is the acting.  in some countries, as I understand, they have like real good voice actors.  for example, monica belluci's husband (who was in brotherhood of the wolf and irreversible) started out as Hugh Grant's voice in all Hugh Grant's movies.  if they make the voice actors better actors, than people probably would have less of a problem with dubbing.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SmellyBoobFungus

'look bitch, what's weird is if newly weds was made into a movie, it would be #1 at the boxoffice cuz of people like you'

Rejected

SmellyBoobFungus

Quote from: SoNowThen

My favorite is to say "you're a fucking idiot, and I wish cancer on your whole family". A tad harsh, perhaps, but effective.

i think it's more funny, but that's just me

Rejected

grand theft sparrow

I think a good punch to the stomach in full view of a lot of people would work.  It would be effective for the offender (as they have been made aware that their behavior is improper) and funny for you and everyone watching you slug this philistine in the gut.

I should also mention that my therapist is on vacation this week.

puddnanners

when i was working as an usher during Magnolia, I was walking into the theater to clean it, and this one woman said, "oh, that was cute" and this was very sincere, not sarcastic or funny.  Yeah...cancer and abusive fathers is as cute as puppies and pie.  Dumb whore

Alethia

pete

"like that other weird movie...uh, what's it called...THE KARATE KID?"
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SHAFTR

"that's because you have no soul"

is normally what I say when someone doesn't like a movie I do.

and if someone likes a movie i hate..i. say

"that's too bad"
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Born Under Punches

After leaving Kill Bill, Volume 1

Woman:  I didn't like it.
Man: Why not?
Woman:  'Cause you don't see Bill.  And they don't kill him at the end.
Me: (chasing the woman, ready to strangle her)

cine

Quote from: Run Fay RunAfter leaving Kill Bill, Volume 1

Woman:  I didn't like it.
Man: Why not?
Woman:  'Cause you don't see Bill.  And they don't kill him at the end.
Me: (chasing the woman, ready to strangle her)
That could've went here: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3988

Dr. Gonzo

Oh damn, this is a great thread. I wish I had read it long ago. So many different topics covered.

Anyway, I had a somewhat stupid comment about a film earlier today through AIM. I told my friend about Russian Ark (I bought it today) and how it was shot in one take and I get this...
"lmao, it must be pretty sucky!"

Any time I want to read something really stupid about a movie I just go read the posts at imdb. Someone called Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas something like "just a guy sharing his great drug stories with people" and that "anyone who has not tried lsd, cocaine, and even pot has no right to watch this movie" That guy alone was almost enough to get me to register there but I couldn't bring myself to do it.