Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

wilberfan

In response to this article (and photos), someone on Reddit just made the following supposition/conclusion:

QuoteBased on the images provided, taken at night, and the camera monitors which can be seen, the image frame is a 2.39:1 aspect ratio—4-perf anamorphic, as there appears to be numbers and text, indicating the shutter and frame count, for example, just outside the framing lines, suggesting that there is no extra image outside of those lines; it won't be a 2.39:1 crop of a 4-perf or 3-perf, spherical lensed film.

It may be hard to judge exclusively from these images, but I'm very certain it's anamorphic.

mickeywolfman

Yes! are those 2.39:1 / 2.35:1 framing guides I see??
This is a stretch, but if you zoom very closely in the monitor frame are those lights flaring horizontally like anamorphic?

kingfan011

And remind is this the aspect ration he shot Magnolia in or is this his recent ratio?

nomorecoffee

going back to anamorphic after 3 spherical is SO exciting

Alma

Quote from: kingfan011 on October 14, 2020, 01:01:46 PM
And remind is this the aspect ration he shot Magnolia in or is this his recent ratio?

His old ratio/lens.

Edit: I know it's not that reliable but it also says on IMDB he's using anamorphic.

nomorecoffee

how you guys fell about it? the anamorphic comeback

Drenk

Hopefully, that means less Haim on the screen.
Ascension.

jviness02

It looks like DiCaprio turned this down to make a movie with Adam McKay  :doh:

kingfan011

Quote from: jviness02 on October 14, 2020, 04:17:15 PM

Turn down PTA and Del Toro. Don't Look Up must be an amazing script because Vice was TERRIBLE.

pynchonikon

Quote from: jviness02 on October 14, 2020, 04:17:15 PM

Invoking a vague April 2019 tweet is a bit of a stretch. We never learned what exactly happened.
The casting choices of "Soggy Bottom" make me doubt we was ever really considered for a role in this. Even if we assume Bradley Cooper replaced him in the Jon Peters-character (as many suggested when the news broke in August), Cooper looks a much better fit.

Tdog

Awesome. So PTA is moving into phase 3 of his career perhaps?

Hard Eight ---> Punch Drunk Love
There Will be Blood ---> Phantom thread
Soggy Bottom --->

kingfan011

Quote from: wilberfan on October 15, 2020, 03:33:37 AM
Quote from: wilberfan on October 14, 2020, 12:39:10 PM
In response to this article (and photos), someone on Reddit just made the following supposition/conclusion:

QuoteBased on the images provided, taken at night, and the camera monitors which can be seen, the image frame is a 2.39:1 aspect ratio—4-perf anamorphic, as there appears to be numbers and text, indicating the shutter and frame count, for example, just outside the framing lines, suggesting that there is no extra image outside of those lines; it won't be a 2.39:1 crop of a 4-perf or 3-perf, spherical lensed film.

It may be hard to judge exclusively from these images, but I'm very certain it's anamorphic.

I spoke with someone in the camera department tonight who confirmed they're shooting SOGGY BOTTOM anamorphic.

Sweet I'm all for that

PinkTeeth

Quote from: Tdog on October 15, 2020, 06:31:07 AM
Awesome. So PTA is moving into phase 3 of his career perhaps?

Hard Eight ---> Punch Drunk Love
There Will be Blood ---> Phantom thread
Soggy Bottom --->

Nah, bonus Phase 2 period piece.
PT Phase 3: Marvel Phase 5
New Name, Same Typos.

Tdog

Side note: but is anybody else disappointed that PTA isnt make Napoleon with Joaquin?

Imagine: PTA's Napoleon drafted from Kubrick's boxes. Joaquin as Napoleon.

wilberfan

I don't know.  Invading Russia has proven to be a disaster for everyone who's attempted it.