Sofia Coppola

Started by Rudie Obias, April 18, 2003, 08:27:21 PM

UncleJoey

Good point, but the American protagonists in this film have absolutely nothing in common with the "Bush doctrine" that Doyle is referring to. There's a big difference between being uncomfortable amidst another culture, and mocking it. I don't see anything in the film that mocks Japanese culture, but I certainly see things in the film that mock aspects of American culture.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

pete

hmm, maybe the Bush doctrine is a metaphor too?  I mean I'm sure Christopher Doyle doesn't really mean that the movie supports the idea of no nuclear weapons in any country other than the US.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: petehmm, maybe the Bush doctrine is a metaphor too?  I mean I'm sure Christopher Doyle doesn't really mean that the movie supports the idea of no nuclear weapons in any country other than the US.
yeah i think he was just talking about how the film creates an aura of asian culture being impenetrable, which inadvertently (or not) complies with the bush doctrine of america being the only thing worth caring about. doyle resents that cos he's way asian.
under the paving stones.

soixante

Sofia Coppola is not the first woman to be nominated for a Best Director Oscar.  Lina Wertmuller and Jane Campion were both nominated previously.
Music is your best entertainment value.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

She was not the first American to be nominated either.

kotte

Quote from: RaviShe was not the first American to be nominated either.

I assume you're not talking about modage not mentioning 'woman' in his post. I know wou're not that stupid and unfunny.

So who was the first american woman to be nominated?

Pozer

Quote from: kotteI know wou're not that stupid...

kotte

Quote from: POZER!
Quote from: kotteI know wou're not that stupid...

ouch!

mutinyco

This is a pretty freakin' adorable site: http://www.sofiamini.com
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

i wish kubrick had his soda.  :yabbse-sad:
context, context, context.

squints

Downsized champagne is all the rage.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

Both The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation made me cry. Such well done beautiful films. Makes me extremely excited this upcoming year for her new one.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

The Coppolas Dream     
Source: Joblo

While we regular people have yet to see MARIE-ANTOINETTE (and despite that film's apparent less-than-overwhelming reception at Cannes), Sofia Coppola has already signed on to her next directorial project. The movie is called THE AMERICAN DREAM and it stars Colin Hanks and Bryce Dallas Howard as a young couple who immigrate to the United States from Poland in the late 1800s to persue their dreams of success. Coincidently, the movie is to be produced by a Tom, a Ron, and a Francis Ford, a powerhouse trio that doubles as the fathers of the stars and director. I surely am not accusing anyone of nepotism because I'm a fan of everyone involved and I don't doubt their talent and appropriateness for the project, but it's kind of funny that Hanks and Howard are playing a couple who have a hard time making a living because of Tammany Hall's corrupt system, which rewards friends and relatives of those with power with the most lucrative jobs. The movie is to be distributed by Universal which, on a related note (pun intended), has also signed a deal with Francis Ford Coppola to direct, Ron Howard to produce, and Tom Hanks to star in NOAH'S ARK, a film to be released in the summer of 2008. Francis also has YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH on his directing plate and is set to produce THE GOOD SHEPARD and an adaptation of Jack Kerouac's ON THE ROAD. MARIE-ANTOINETTE hits theaters October 13th.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Report: Sofia Coppola Expecting

Sofia Coppola has a new project in the works -- a baby, due this winter, People magazine reported Wednesday on its Web site.

The father is Coppola's boyfriend, Thomas Mars, a singer for the French band Phoenix, the magazine said. The 35-year-old filmmaker won a best screenplay Oscar for 2003's "Lost in Translation," which she also directed.

A call by The Associated Press to Coppola's representative, Robert Garlock, was not immediately returned.

Coppola is the daughter of Oscar-winning director Francis Ford Coppola. She played Mary Corleone in his 1990 movie, "The Godfather: Part III."

Her upcoming film, "Marie Antoinette," stars Kirsten Dunst as the 18th-century French queen. Coppola wrote and directed the movie, which drew wildly mixed reactions at its first press screening at the Cannes Film Festival.

Coppola was married to director Spike Jonze for four years; she filed for divorce in 2003.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks