Rented Four Rooms last night...

Started by markums2k, July 21, 2003, 10:35:00 AM

markums2k

Had never seen it.  Could only find it on VHS.  It was great!  Brought back those old feelings like when I saw Pulp Fiction, From Dusk till Dawn, and Desperado for the first time.

Quentin's short was a little amateurish, mostly due to his acting, but still enjoyable.  Lots of long takes...

It's just fresh in my mind.  Anybody else enjoy Four Rooms?  Care to comment?

chainsmoking insomniac

Haven't seen it yet, but judging from your enthusiasm I think I'll pick it up tonight.  :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

markums2k

Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonHaven't seen it yet, but judging from your enthusiasm I think I'll pick it up tonight.  :-D

I'm flattered!  :shock:

This movie is definitely a GREAT way to break up all the summer blockbusters.

Cecil

i always thought it was fantastic. were probably the only ones though

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedwe're probably the only ones though

Yes.

The only good segment was Rodriguez's. I was disappointed by Tarantino's because it was just a rehash of an Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode.

And there's Madonna....automatically brings a movie down.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

i really liked it.  my friends and i always quote that movie.  i really like MISBEHAVIORS and THE MAN FROM HOLLYWOOD.  i really think it's the most clever dialouge tarantino ever wrote.

it's very sharp!  as sharp as the devil himself!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

markums2k

Quote from: rudieobas sharp as the devil himself!

Oh, that's so great.  That's a great line.

*HUGE SPOILER*

And how about the end of the Hollywood short?  I love how the lighter doesn't go up even once.  Just, *click* and *chop* and credits.  So fucking great.  He built the tension up soooo well with that 60 seconds gimmick.

*END HUGE SPOILER*

ElPandaRoyal

I'm a big fan of Rodriguez's and Tarantino's segments. I think they're just great... they build an interesting story which end (both of them) in the most hilarious of ways.

I also enjoyed the Alexandre Rockwell segment. The only one I really don't quite like is the first one, although avery single actress there was just "perfect casting".

Also enjoyed Tom Roth... very funny performance, especially between segments 3 and 4 when he calls Betty. Really great dialogue there..... "I'm Betty. Who the fuck are you?"  :lol:  by the way...... who do you guys think wrote this particular scene in the movie? My guess is it's Quentin's
Si

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

markums2k

Quote from: SHAFTRI really didn't like it.

Release the hounds.  :x

rustinglass

I really liked the second one too.

spoiler

When tim roth sticks his head out the window and yells HELP HELP; then an arrow fashes pointing at him "TED".
Thats very funny.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

Quotespoiler

When tim roth sticks his head out the window and yells HELP HELP; then an arrow fashes pointing at him "TED".
Thats very funny.

LOOOL I agree completely. And that scream for help is just so weird and pointless and....... funny as hell!!!!! Tim Roth gave a great performance right there.
Si

SoNowThen

I love Tarantino's. The rest I thought was shit. But I did enjoy bits of the second one (with that actress, what's her name?, who appears in Tarantino's as well).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

It's a great, fun movie. The only segment that's weak is the witches room. Everything else is well done and entertaining. I think most people get put off by its segmented style and the fact that different writers wrote different parts. Aside from PF, I consider the Hollywood segment Avary's best writing.

And Roth is perfect.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Cecil

i love the witch segment. hows the dialogue go again?

-youre not my mother
-yes i am
-then why are we sleeping together?
freeze frame. big interrogation point

or something like that. hahah