The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

bluejaytwist

well, we are sort of past the awkward stage of me initially being the "webguy" (and how things ended with the old site)
so its tough to know when im getting information conversationally or confidentially. i feel a bit sickkk but im sure all is fine...
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

modage

Awesome!  That means lots of casting soon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

awesome news. can't wait to see who will be the next vincent froio.

all in all a good day for the cinephiles, along with the starting date of this there's the trailer of the social network and the criterion treatment of paths of glory.

polkablues

BUT WILL IT BE SCORELESS???
My house, my rules, my coffee

theyarelegion

Emma Stone dispels rumors about her involvement in The Master to Collider.com

"The Master? Oh no, I'm not involved with that. That's just one of the IMDb rumors."

Stefen

Fivehead is out? Good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Convael

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/09/paul-thomas-andersons-untitled.html

Paul Thomas Anderson's Untitled Religious Drama Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman & Jeremy Renner "Postponed Indefinitely"

With a planned August start date having come and gone with no news, things weren't exactly looking upbeat for Paul Thomas Anderson's 50s-set religious drama tentatively titled "The Master." Now, however, comes confirmation of the film's temporary demise with potential star Jeremy Renner unfortunately revealing to Total Film's latest print edition that it has been "postponed indefinitely at this point."

"I was really bummed about that," Renner revealed. "It really kind of stalled because when we were rehearsing — Phil, Paul and myself — we kept coming up against a wall that we couldn't overcome. Or at least Paul couldn't overcome."

And confirming the project's stalemate, Hoffman revealed in an interview with The Playlist during press rounds for "Jack Goes Boating" that "I don't have any new information ['The Master']. I really mean that, I'm not being obtuse. I don't quite know what that is at the moment, but hopefully I will and hopefully I'll be part of something soon. It would be great to work with him again."

It's a tragic turn for the highly promising project but is it merely a hurdle for the production or will the project end up in purgatory and be one for cinematic trivia in years to come? At this stage, things certainly don't sound too optimistic with what sounds like repeated obstacles hindering the project's development, but we'll keep our fingers crossed.

The film was set to follow the rise of a particular religion, The Cause — bearing striking resemblance to Scientology — through the story of a charismatic intellectual leader (highly reminiscent of L. Ron Hubbard) and his apprentice Freddie Sutton; roles which were filled by Anderson regular Philip Seymour Hoffman and Renner. On top of that, Reese Witherspoon was reportedly offered the role of the Master's wife Mary Sue while the likes of Amanda Seyfried, Emma Stone and Deborah Ann Woll were apparently considered for the role of his daughter Elizabeth.

Our review of an early, early script was certainly impressed with PTA's writing and described the story as "the battle for Freddie's soul which has been seduced by the dark charms of the master, but even that is far too simple a description of this layered, mysterious and at times very ambiguous tale." That said, we did predict potential hurdles in getting this made noting that "if intelligent dramas are being threatened with extinction of late (or at least at a certain budget), surely this could become a problem for PTA." Hopefully, our words can be proven wrong at some stage.

River Road were backing the production -— after Universal passed — though it remains to be seen if the project will remain under the shingle. Here's hoping things pick up at some stage in the future.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

time to dust off that old script.pdf in my "in case of emergency" folder.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

Move on the movie, or and the pig gets it.  No?  It doesn't work like that.  Oh... :(

Stefen

It's going to be 5 years before we get another PTA film. We'll all have moved on and xixax prob won't even exist anymore.

EDIT: this prediction better come true or this dead project thread better keep moving.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Either a solution will come in the next 6 months or this project will gestate for many years and become PTA's equivalent to The Fountain. All in all, very bad news. The latter is more likely right now.

modage

The question (thats not really made clear in the quote/article) is whether the thing he can't get over is a creative issue (with himself, perfectionist) or a studio issue (financial, practical).