magnolia opening music

Started by Dendy, April 14, 2003, 11:03:29 PM

Dendy

Ever noticed all of the frickin' weird sounds that go on lightly in the background during the opening monologues, in particular the sydney barringer one.  At one point (when barringer is falling from the building with the x's and o's on the screen), it sounds like cheerleaders or sumpin.

parts of it remind me of the beatles' "revolution #9"

kind of neat.  sorry if this was mentioned prior.
"The Dude Abides"

sphinx

actually i did a complete audio deconstruction of the opening of magnolia on the old board which nobody fucking saw.  there's a lot of crazy shit in there, i think i still have some of the files

i actually found, isolated, and recognized
- phil and earl having a conversation backwards that isn't in the movie
- fiona apple harmonizing with an irritating beep
- pta chanting
- sounds from the boogie nights credits
- muffled dialogue from an movie ("it's my hometown, i know exactly where it is")
- machine guns

and more.  i'll try and finds those files later

Duck Sauce

Sphinx, that is the craziest/best news ive heard all day. Tell more

Ghostboy

How did you isolate those? Did you just save a clip from the DVD and then sort through the audio frequencies? That's crazy cool.

Tiff

Tell, tell, tell! You intelligent prick.
"Shut the fuck up!"

children with angels

I'm pretty sure one of the frickin weird sounds can be heard also on the opening track of When the Pawn.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

xerxes

wasn't a bit of revolution #9 in there somewhere too???

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: sphinxwhich nobody fucking saw

I saw it!  :yabbse-sad:  I probably lost the files, though... and I remember your deconstruction of a PDL song...

sphinx

when the movie was being tested, revolution #9 was used as a temp track, but then replaced with the crazy shit.

extracted directly from the 5.1 mix, various vocals and channels were removed/added to detect these subtle effects, and i'm sure many more were layered that i was unable to detect because they were so tiny.

i'll post it again once i can find all the files

blackman: deconstruction of a pdl song?  whaaa?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: sphinxblackman: deconstruction of a pdl song?  whaaa?

Oh.. it was probably something else... I'm trying to remember.... umm... no, yeah, it was definitely something from PDL. Definitely from PDL. I'm pretty sure it was a song from pdl.com ...

SoNowThen

At one point there is a clip from the hidden track on Aimee Mann's album "I'm With Stupid"...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pedro

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: sphinxblackman: deconstruction of a pdl song?  whaaa?

Oh.. it was probably something else... I'm trying to remember.... umm... no, yeah, it was definitely something from PDL. Definitely from PDL. I'm pretty sure it was a song from pdl.com ...

I think that sphinx posted an instrumental version of "He needs me".

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pedro the WombatI think that sphinx posted an instrumental version of "He needs me".

Yeah, I think that was it, but there was other weird stuff... yeah, that's it... maybe...

MacGuffin

sphinx put up Homer singing "Spanish Flea". Could that be what you're thinking of, JB?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sphinx

and in fact it's still there, but i don't think that's what he thinks of