eternal sunshine de l'mind spotless..

Started by Satcho9, February 03, 2003, 10:15:53 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02well if that doesnt fit the definition of 'selling out' i dont know what does.  compromising your presentation to appeal to a larger audience.  it wouldnt be bad if they could find a way to appeal to the masses with something that actually looked good, but they cant seem to do that.
jesus, selling out?

gondry just doesn't hav the clout to change that i guess. it's not in his contract or whatever, he had the same problem with Human Nature and he has often said how much he hates that cover, hence my running gag comment.

sheesh, get mad at the marketing assholes u worship in ur avatars so much. not the director.
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

Well I'll buy it despite it's ugly cover. After all it's "a smart, sexy and seriously funny comedy"  :roll:

El Duderino

i saw it again last night, at the dollar theatre......this movie is too good.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

Quote from: Pubrickgondry just doesn't hav the clout to change that i guess. it's not in his contract or whatever, he had the same problem with Human Nature and he has often said how much he hates that cover, hence my running gag comment.
well he should try harder.  if not to have total control over all posters, video covers, promotional materials etc. like PTA, than atleast to have the right to veto this piece of shit.  making a movie doesnt end when you finish editing it, or it shouldnt.  the director should try to stay involved all the way through to the dvd release.  (maybe that would also help things like getting 4 different versions of the same movie.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

those are all good points but they would be better argued against QT and the horrible new cover of kb2. QT at least we know has the influence to change whatever he wants about his releases, gondry is a new director with no hit prior to this one, itself a modest one at that.

so yeah, i totally feel the argument, nice to see u ignored that the real blame lies with the marketing assholes u celebrate so much, and not the director who i assume has done everything in his power to make the best movie possible. pta's deal was a rare one, i wouldn't base anything on it, and i doubt he will hav as much freedom with his next few films as he has had in the last few.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

I saw this again, and happily, loved it. My criticisms of the romantic sub plot involving dunst is still there, but when I saw it a second time, I was emotionally in a much better situation to really allign myself with the characters whole. I believed in the relationship. The filmmaking, quality to me on my first viewing, expanded even more. Excellent film and I'd love to see it again.

modage

Quote from: Pubrickthose are all good points but they would be better argued against QT and the horrible new cover of kb2. QT at least we know has the influence to change whatever he wants about his releases, gondry is a new director with no hit prior to this one, itself a modest one at that.
agreed. he really has no excuse.
Quote from: Pubrickso yeah, i totally feel the argument, nice to see u ignored that the real blame lies with the marketing assholes u celebrate so much, and not the director who i assume has done all he can in his power to make the best movie possible. pta's deal was a rare one, i wouldn't base anything on it, and i doubt he will hav as much freedom with his next few films as he has had in the last few.
the marketing assholes i just figured were a given evil.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI saw this again, and happily, loved it. My criticisms of the romantic sub plot involving dunst is still there, but when I saw it a second time, I was emotionally in a much better situation to really allign myself with the characters whole. I believed in the relationship. The filmmaking, quality to me on my first viewing, expanded even more. Excellent film and I'd love to see it again.

:) Dunno why. Just really glad, GT!

I RRrreally can't wait to see this again. I think it really is a modern classic (whatever that means). Mark Ruffalo is the man!

Are packaging and extra material considered differently in terms of the influence the director has on them? Because I would have thought that Gondry would have been allowed to do some some good quality extras given his 'work of' DVD status. To be honest I think the cover is equally due to the 'Carrey Marketability' factor. I think that's a good thing anyway. People should be tricked into seeing it! As always though, that godamn quote is inappropriate, inexcusable, and that I don't forgive!
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cowboykurtis

many times a director is bound by contract -- many instances result in "you can make your movie, but we control how its marketed". now you have to guage whats important to you. would you rather have control over the production or marketing? id rather have a great film with shitty cover art, then a shitty film with a cover that i was able to draw to my specifications. now if the only thing that goes uncontrolled is the dvd cover, i think that said director has more control than most. its much better than having casting, and production personel dictated and screend by the studio. from the look of the original one sheets and trailer, id say gondry had a pretty large say in how it was marketed for theatrical exhibition. unfortunaely its a day when a director can not logistically control every outlet. not that i agree with the process, but it is how it is. and truthfully, if you create a war of the worlds with a studio over a dvd cover, you will most likely have a much harder time getting what you want when negotiations rear their head again. they key is to give them what they think they want, while really fullfilling your idea of what should be.
...your excuses are your own...

meatwad

cowboykurtis pretty much nailed it right there

ProgWRX

and what exactly is wrong about getting more people to rent the movie?

dont we want more people to experience truly good movies, in the hope that perhaps their collective tastes broaden, for the better?
-Carlos

cowboykurtis

on a complete side-note, unrelated to this thread -- ive gotta give pubrick props for his avatar -- the best around

modage

Quote from: ProgWRXand what exactly is wrong about getting more people to rent the movie?

dont we want more people to experience truly good movies, in the hope that perhaps their collective tastes broaden, for the better?
thats wishful thinking.  tricking people into renting this movie because they're expecting something more mainstream is only going to make them more angry when they get this weird non-linear un-jimcarrey film that they will proceed to say things like 'god, did you see that awful jim carrey film?' whenever it is mentioned.  plus, like i said, i dont have a problem with changing the poster art into something that might attract more people.  what i do have a problem with is them putting together some ugly piece of shit in 5 minutes without regard to how it actually looks.

cowboykurtis

jim carrey looks purrty on the cover