The Matrix: Resurrections

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 21, 2019, 12:50:11 PM

Fuzzy Dunlop

Any chance this will work? Where is the other Wachowski?

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-lana-wachowski-1203307955/

'Matrix 4' Officially a Go With Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski

Get ready to re-enter the Matrix.

Lana Wachowski is set to write and direct a fourth film set in the world of "The Matrix," with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity, respectively.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film. Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich made the announcement on Tuesday.

"We could not be more excited to be re-entering 'The Matrix' with Lana," said Emmerich. "Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in 'The Matrix' universe."

In addition to Wachowski, the script was also written by Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Wachowski is also producing with Grant Hill. Sources say the film is eyed to begin production at the top of 2020.

Warner Bros. has been trying for the last of couple years to find a way to get back into "The Matrix" universe, but a hold-up over producing rights slowed the project down. Over the past couple of months, the studio saw an opportunity to ramp up development, with Reeves boasting a strong summer that included box office hits "John Wick 3" and "Toy Story 4" and a script from Wachowski that drummed up excitement.

Plot details are currently unknown, as is how the role of Morpheus will be handled, originally played by Laurence Fishburne. Some sources say the role may be recast for a younger take.

The three previous films —"The Matrix," "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Matrix Revolutions" — have collectively earned more than $1.6 billion at the global box office. All three were written and directed by Lana and her sister, Lilly, and starred Reeves and Moss.

"Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now. I'm very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends," Wachowski said.

The first "Matrix" had its 20th anniversary this year, marked by special screenings at select AMC locations starting on Aug. 30.

Wachowski is represented by WME, Circle of Confusion and attorney Peter Grossman. Reeves is represented by WME and Ziffren Brittenham. Moss is represented by WME, longtime manager Elizabeth Hodgson and attorney Bob Lange.

Drenk

The other W. is producing a Showtime or FX show about a queer comedian.

Will it work? Don't know. Will it be fun? I'm sure! It will be more Fury Road than Terminator 4.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

The Choice Is Yours

And so it begins -- with Teaser Clips rollout via browser.
Full teaser trailer in 2 days.

PRESENT DAY
PRESENT TIME
Turn On, Tune In
dotHack // connect
reach out
within // without

Robyn

Oh shit, why am I so excited for this?

That shot of Neo walking over the street.... yeah, I want this in my life right now.

edit: I just realized it's showing different footage each time you click. Cool, cool

Drenk

I must admit that I'm a little bit worried of how basic it seems to be as a "The Matrix characters remember the Matrix in another world" narrative: the pills feel like one of the many MCU Easter eggs that I hate. Every symbol of the franchise becoming a symbol in the movie. If you think about it: the pills are seen in one scene of the movie, then are gone, their iconic value is...just for us...and seeing it becoming a part of the movies: it doesn't feel great. Well. I'm mostly worried, I understand why it would "awaken" things for the characters.

But the summary of the trailer has a lot of..."hey...that's The Matrix, remember?" moments.

That said? I love The Matrix. I love Lana Wachowski. Jupiter Ascending made me cry. Let's goooooooo.

EDIT:

And:

https://twitter.com/GemOfAmara/status/1435392913626779652
Ascension.

Robyn

Having the pills on the front page of the website doesn't have the same effect as the original campaign when we know what it's all about. But still, it's just a marketing campaign, and is just there to build hype.

Let's wait for the actually trailer to drop. I am still weirdly optimistic about this despite the sequels and Wachowski being hit-or-miss (and mostly miss lately)

Drenk

https://youtu.be/9ix7TUGVYIo

The pills. The rabbit. Blue and red everywhere to signify what's keeping you in the Matrix or what can help you to get out. I'm not a fan of all that. Reloaded avoided that kind of thing, it was all about expanding the world, so I hope this one will achieve something similar despite all these « « reminders ».
Ascension.

pynchonikon

I almost screamed at the use of White Rabbit. It's been far too long since I saw the first one (never cared about the 2&3, and never really cared about the cinema of the Wachowskis), time to finally do a retrospective I guess.

Just Withnail

I'm pretty excited. They seem to be Eternal Sunshining Neo and and Trinity's love story and bringing some of the even more baroque visuals they've played around with since Revolutions to this, both of which I'm all up for. Simple pleasures! Eternal return of having to "break out" and see things as they are, constant cultural deja vu, the eeire feeling of irreality of our times + good action? Oh definitely.

Jeremy Blackman

Looks great. I honestly like the trend of remixing pop songs for trailers.

0:33 was a pretty fun moment, having just rewatched Lost Season 6.

©brad

Okay admit it this looks amazing.

Robyn

HACKANUT

The look of this is super off in my opinion.
I guess it just doesn't feel like the matrix unless everything is green?

Pretty meh on the trailer overall. Too many "remember this?!" moments, as people have pointed out. Just feels like fan fiction to me.

I miss when a single movie could exist and there was never a sequel. Like if there was only 1 matrix movie and The Siblings just mic-dropped after that. That would be better than this.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: HACKANUT on September 16, 2021, 09:07:53 PM
The look of this is super off in my opinion.
I guess it just doesn't feel like the matrix unless everything is green?

The Matrix was green-ified for the 2008 remaster, apparently. The more recent remaster is far less green and more accurate to the original theatrical version.