Best Film

Started by MacGuffin, March 06, 2010, 02:14:36 AM

cine

cool so i didn't miss anything.

children with angels

Quote from: Captain of Industry on March 07, 2010, 01:02:48 PM
Actually I said, "Only fully serious films which will be remembered by all and for eternity deserve this award," and it was intended to be a sardonic jab at New Feeling's accusation of District 9 being a semi-serious film that will be forgotten in 20 years (as if that alone disqualifies it from bestness).

I thought "fully serious" and "by all and for eternity" were good enough joke indicators.

Ah... Yes indeed - I'm afraid I must admit to a drunk post there. Moderately shaming. Apologies!
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

picolas

Quote from: Sleepless on March 06, 2010, 05:23:35 PMD9's screenplay alone is an awesome lesson in structure and originality.
do you know where i can get a copy of that?

Pubrick

and you all thought my campaign was too late.

ha!

this was fucking brilliant and a rare case where Xixax really picked the most important, entertaining, original, and innovatve film of the year. the comparisons to Children of Men are bullshit, that movie was crap and we all knew it.. everyone will remember THIS movie cos Blomkamp has the special ability to make a lot of money AND a good film. cuaron got lucky with azkaban and will probably be remembered for just good films that only film buffs really care about..

if you aren't onboard with D9 you aren't onboard with the spirit of the future of film. it isn't avatar, it's not hundreds of millions of dollars behind a crap script, it's a single great idea followed by amazing execution. dude is one to watch forever and ever and ever. it's only his FIRST FEATURE! INCREDIBLE achievement.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polanski's illegitimate baby

every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

RegularKarate

Quote from: New Feeling on March 06, 2010, 02:41:09 PM
.... horribly overrated pseudo-serious sci-fi films that will be all but forgotten in 20 years?

definitely the worst of the nominees.  major xixax fail

That post was the only "major xixax fail".

People get so fucking over-snobbified sometimes and can't admit that sometimes a movie that the mainstream actually appreciates can be the best movie of the year. 

And while the 20 years comment was probably too pointless an argument to give any weight to, let's face it, this will probably be remembered by more people in 20 years than the other nominees:

Not to diss them  (because they're almost all good), but:

Inglourious Basterds - will be remembered as an "oh yeah, I forgot about that one" by most people because while it's one of his better movies, it won't hold up to the memory of Pulp or Res because QT will not continue to make memorable films for the next 20 years (if he lives that long) and this will get lost in the crap.

A Serious Man - while it's better than IB, it falls into the same category, won't stay alive amongst the other Coen gems.

Up- I love it, it's great, but it's already been forgotten by most of America.

Where the Wild Things Are - People are going to hate this even more in ten years when it doesn't seem like any kind of special visual accomplishment anymore.

D9 is going to be remembered for coming out of the blue and it's going to be remembered for making a splash this early in the director's career.

Anyway, my point is you're wrong.

john

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 08, 2010, 05:26:30 PM

A Serious Man - while it's better than IB, it falls into the same category, won't stay alive amongst the other Coen gems.

D9 is going to be remembered for coming out of the blue and it's going to be remembered for making a splash this early in the director's career.

Anyway, my point is you're wrong.

I know the entire argument about where a film while stand in twenty years is wholly speculative - my presumptions, just like yours, are mostly marred by personal opinion but I don't believe A Serious Man won't be regarded as one of their major accomplishments and featured on any shortlist summing up the achievements of their filmography. In every regard, it's a rich piece of work that only gets more rewarding upon repeat viewing.  It's box office gross, or lack of award reception will be irrelevant in twenty years.

I enjoyed D9, but it seems very plausible that it's style will seem a bit dated in twenty years. It will only be praised "for coming out of the blue" by people that remember it's release or are aware of it's box office or reception. For everyone else it will either succeed or fail on it's own merits and not it's context upon release.

This is all a tangential conversation, of course. Clearly, nobody is voting for "Best Film of 2009 Twenty Years From Now" The D9 fans have showed their appreciation and enthusiasm for the film. An enthusiasm I am surprised by, but can definitely appreciate... from a distance.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Alexandro

well.

I don't know if D9 will be remembered in 20 years. I think it will be but I don't know.

Inglorious I don't even doubt it. Good or bad, it's a Tarantino movie, and he's just too much of a big name with too large a following. All of his films will be remembered. Jesus, some people even remember Four Rooms and that is one horrid little movie. People remember Jackie Brown, a film which bombed in 97. You may argue i'm talking about film nerds remembering these things but film nerds are the only ones that remember movies. The rest of the world don't even give a shit. By the standard of popular culture, Titanic would be the best film of 97. It isn't.

Unless Disney and Pixar go broke or something, Up, like every other disney film in existence, will be popular in 20 years. If they can make something like Oliver and Company stand the taste of time, they can do anything.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

AT LEAST IT WASN'T HURT LOCKER AMIRITE???
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

Hurt Locker will not be remembered in twenty days so 20 years for D9 is a big order

pete

Quote from: Alexandro on March 09, 2010, 04:57:15 PM
well.

I don't know if D9 will be remembered in 20 years. I think it will be but I don't know.

Inglorious I don't even doubt it. Good or bad, it's a Tarantino movie, and he's just too much of a big name with too large a following. All of his films will be remembered. Jesus, some people even remember Four Rooms and that is one horrid little movie. People remember Jackie Brown, a film which bombed in 97. You may argue i'm talking about film nerds remembering these things but film nerds are the only ones that remember movies. The rest of the world don't even give a shit. By the standard of popular culture, Titanic would be the best film of 97. It isn't.

Unless Disney and Pixar go broke or something, Up, like every other disney film in existence, will be popular in 20 years. If they can make something like Oliver and Company stand the taste of time, they can do anything.

just because people remember something, ie. aren't amnesiac, doesn't mean it'll be "popular".  nobody saw four rooms.  your reasons are ridiculous and just because people know a title you talk about is a movie doesn't mean it'll still be "popular."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

I'm confused by the conversation. I never realized memorability was the first topic when discussing 'Best Film' or anything. It sounds like a good way to not talk about the film because I really don't know what anyone is saying here.

I voted for District 9. I calmed on my praise, but I still believe it deserved to win. I'm interested in why people really don't think it was that good.

Alexandro

Quote from: pete on March 09, 2010, 09:10:56 PM

just because people remember something, ie. aren't amnesiac, doesn't mean it'll be "popular".  nobody saw four rooms.  your reasons are ridiculous and just because people know a title you talk about is a movie doesn't mean it'll still be "popular."

i don't know what you're talking about. We were discussing district 9 as best picture. the conversation shifted towards if district 9 would be remembered in 20 years. then comparisons between that movie and the other nominees were mentioned. and then I said what I said. I never meant to talk about a film being popular or not. the only time I mentioned that world was within the term popular culture.

And I ain't gonna be the one to talk about why District 9 don't deserve to be named best picture because I think it's fantastic.

john

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 09, 2010, 09:17:13 PM
I'm confused by the conversation. I never realized memorability was the first topic when discussing 'Best Film' or anything. It sounds like a good way to not talk about the film because I really don't know what anyone is saying here.

I voted for District 9. I calmed on my praise, but I still believe it deserved to win. I'm interested in why people really don't think it was that good.

Curiously enough, I think your reassessment of the film in it's proper thread is the most succinct criticism of the film I've read so far. Now I'm not implying that you're dismissive of the film at all, obviously, just that you gave a fine evaluation of where the films strengths end and it's weaknesses begin.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.