Kanye West

Started by MacGuffin, October 19, 2009, 04:32:04 PM

MacGuffin

Watch This: Spike Jonze and Kanye West Make a Short Film
by Jessica Barnes; Cinematical

Most people look at Kanye West as a bit of a joke these days, and to be fair he's responsible for most of the damage to his own reputation as an egomaniac and a bit of a blowhard. But I guess it takes the directorial genius of Spike Jonze to remind us that there's probably more going on underneath Kanye's surface than we give him credit for, and no matter what you may think of West he does have pretty good taste in his pop culture 'associations' -- and the latest is an 11-minute short film directed by Jonze that premiered at the Los Angeles Film Fest earlier this summer and is now available online.

Unfortunately I can't really tell you much about it, because frankly, you have to see it to believe it. But here is what I can tell you: the film is titled We Were Once a Fairytale and it starts out with Kanye being his usual drunken and obnoxious self (though luckily Taylor Swift is nowhere in sight). But keep in mind this is Jonze's short, and as to be expected, things take a very strange (and somewhat disturbing) turn.

Hopefully the success of Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are this weekend means we will be seeing more from the director this year, because this short reminds us that there's nobody that makes movies like Jonze -- not to mention that he does the impossible with this short: he makes Kanye West seem almost human.

Warning: Things get a little NSFW.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil

Sometimes I can't believe I used to be a guy that would stick up for someone like Kanye, and i don't really want to think Jonze would participate in this kind of self indulgence. However, it doesn't matter Spike Jonze fucking annihilates stylistically. Jonze is a genius, he may be one of the few who could pull this off.  I actually laughed out loud when Kanye threw up those paper hearts or whatever, roses. who knows.  Not sure if that was the intended reaction, but at least it a reaction, i guess.  Anyhow, it was neat, it's obvious Kanye is trying to artfully say something like "GUYS, I'M VULNERABLE AND WEAK TOO " and i don't think this makes him look human, i think it makes him look desperate.  "Everyone Like me!" is what this screams, "but, i got the hippest director around, they'll respect me now!" type of thing  I don't find this risque or going out on a limb, as far as Kanye's part goes. But, the film itself and spike's hand hold focus fiasco he's got going there is fucking neato.  It was interesting.

Kanye: "hey, I have a shit load of cash, and people who "know stuff" (puts up quotation marks with hands) about film said, you're the shit.

Spike: Oh, yeah, Jon Brion mentioned something about you. You pay in cash right?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

ono

Jonze stole that from Ghostboy... who may or may not have stolen it from someone else... but "...great artists steal" anyway.

As for Kanye's role in it, this was made before his assholish outburst, sometime in January.

Neil

Prior to January of this year, Kanye has been a media whore.

He has always had Some outburst, some year, several ignorant statements/actions before 2009.

But, yeah, obviously this isn't much of an acting stretch for him.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

The Perineum Falcon

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Kanye West."

Haha!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

john

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on October 26, 2009, 05:43:56 PM
"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Kanye West."

Haha!

It wasn't finished. What leaked wasn't necessarily complete. Should be on iTunes pretty soon.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Champion Souza

Since the youtube link is gone here is a decent quality version on vimeo

http://vimeo.com/7132913

picolas

Alexandro

kanye west bores me to death. I feel like Mugatu in Zoolander when it comes to Kanye West. Doesn't anyone realize what a fucking bore this guy is? I feel like I'm going crazy. His attitude is a monument to self delusion only comparable to the self delusion of the pitchfork morons who write long articles on this douchebag as if it was necessary.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I really liked it.

if I didn't know who kanye west or spike jonze was I would like it. sure, it reminds me of something I'd have wanted to make when I was 17, but that's a headspace where we think and jonze creates.

good short.

New Feeling

watched this a couple of days ago and it's excellent.  And y'all need to show Kanye more love.  Easily the best artist in pop music for the 00s.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

New Feeling

I'm talking about how this movie by Spike Jonze and the career of artist Kanye West are both of very high quality.

72teeth

Quote from: New Feeling on April 14, 2010, 03:01:55 PM
Easily the best artist in pop music for the 00s.

i was talking about this part... what the fuck does it mean
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.