Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

samsong

mediocre don't even download it.
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: I Love a Magician on November 26, 2006, 06:25:25 PM
So how is that.

It's okay, but you slowly realize it's really nothing more than the soundtrack to the Cirque De Soleil show, meaning that it has songs that you could get from the regular Beatles albums or the Anthology series and would probably play better watching the show than on the stereo. While it does have some variations on the classic songs, I was hoping it would be more a blend of different songs, like Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing or Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows. Instead, overall it's just the straight songs with ambient differences, using the drums from The End leading into Get Back; the strings from Good Night over Octopus's Garden, etc.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i love it.  but as mac mentions i only wish there were MORE mashed up bits.  most of the songs just arent different enough but i think all of the mashed up bits are awesome.  and not one strikes me as being out of place, which is INCREDIBLE considering how many times i've/everyone's heard the original versions.  especially love the beginning ramp up on Get Back.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

yeah its really awesome and superbly done.  even on the ones that aren't mash-ups, they're remixed for maximum quality.  A DAY IN THE LIFE has never sounded so gorgeous. 

I Love a Magician

Summer Hymns have a new album called Backwards Masks. Pitchfork gave it a 4.4 or something like that, but I stole some of their demo CDs when I stayed at the singer's apartment over the summer and the songs are quite a bit better than the old albums. It seems like Pitchfork gave it such a low score just because it's not as "weird" or whatever as the other albums.

But I suggest giving it a listen. "Start Swimming" is really good as are "Bombay Brown India Ink" and "When the Bombs Fall".

gob

Quote from: JG on November 27, 2006, 06:02:04 PM
yeah its really awesome and superbly done.  even on the ones that aren't mash-ups, they're remixed for maximum quality.  A DAY IN THE LIFE has never sounded so gorgeous. 

I concur. It's splendid stuff. I think a few more mash-ups would've been nice though.

hedwig

squints

Quote from: I Love a Magician on November 27, 2006, 06:29:52 PM
Summer Hymns have a new album called Backwards Masks. Pitchfork gave it a 4.4 or something like that, but I've stole some of their demo CDs when I stayed at the singer's apartment over the summer and the songs are quite a bit better than the old albums. It seems like Pitchfork gave it such a low score just because it's not as "weird" or whatever as the other albums.

But I suggest giving it a listen. "Start Swimming" is really good as are "Bombay Brown India Ink" and "When the Bombs Fall".

I've been a fan of this band for a while now although i wasn't aware they had a new album. I'm gonna have to check it out. BTW Fuck pitchfork
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

last days of gerry the elephant

modage

ditto that. ^

also: 'tis the season

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: cronopio on August 31, 2006, 12:22:40 AM

beaaaaautiful music,  awful artwork.
A friend just let me borrow this yesterday. Lovin' it.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

context, context, context.

Sigur Rós

Mew - Live in Copenhagen (DVD)

Just came out. Really nice production. catch a clip here