movies about movies

Started by gjg 4 REEL, September 23, 2003, 01:59:38 PM

gjg 4 REEL

you know how when your watching movies about filmmaking the movie that the character is making is never anything compared to the actual film . i had an idea to pull a flip flop on this , to have a purposely horrible first act , everything sucks, the writing, tha actind , lighting , directing , you know , uneccesary zoom ins , cliched lines , corny soundeffects. its about a guy trying to make a movie , he has great plans , his life is all fucked up , the only thing that keeps him organized and makes him happy is writing the script for this movie, which he also plans to direct. when he finishes the script we skip through most of the business oriented stuff, this movie is about film MAKING . and it turns out that the movie this guy makes is great , it has a clever plot great acting directing editing , you know the deal, this movie is actually better than the first act , instead of the other way around .  to put it all in perspective :

if you saw a preview for both movies youd say 'oscar' to the one he's making and 'turkey' to the actual movie.

whatcha think???

SoNowThen

Actually, that's a fucking great idea!! I say do it. Plus, it would be so much fun making the real movie super-cheesy (w/ the zooms and everything you said). What you need somewhere in the movie is characters discussing a scene beside a fire, then when it cuts to CU's, you have the horrible orange gel "fire" light blazing on their faces. That's gotta be the cheesiest shit...

Heheheh
good show
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

I second the notion! One of the things I've always hated about movies-within-movies is that those secondary films are always so godawful -- even when they're supposed to be bad, they're always too lame for me to suspend disbelief. Like in Bowfinger or American Sweethearts (granted, in that case the film itself was jut as bad as the self contained movie). So I think that flipping the cliche would be amusing and refreshing.

Ravi

Sounds interesting.  I say go for it.

Chubby Rain in Bowfinger was hilariously bad.

SoNowThen

Now that I think of it though, the movie they were shooting in The Stuntman looked pretty good...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Cecil

thats a great idea. please tell me if you ever abandon it, so i can steal it

gjg 4 REEL

Quote from: SoNowThenActually, that's a fucking great idea!! I say do it. Plus, it would be so much fun making the real movie super-cheesy (w/ the zooms and everything you said). What you need somewhere in the movie is characters discussing a scene beside a fire, then when it cuts to CU's, you have the horrible orange gel "fire" light blazing on their faces. That's gotta be the cheesiest shit...

Heheheh
good show

yeah man , theres countless things i can do , it would be fun doing research by studying the directing of cheesy flicks. i havent really thought of too many actual ideas yet .i want the plot in the movie to be so digustingly horrible, we really dont get any insight on the characters life, he just seems like a dull guy who wants to make this movie, and we dont really see the movie as he does, he spits out rough ideas in his journal (with cheezed out voiceover) in fatc his journal is the only TRUE  place in the movie up until he starts shooting, and after that , his life starts to change too, he starts talking differently , everything is prettier, perhaps the set design is a lot better, cinematography and directing are a must, its like 'flowers for algernon' we start out with this lead role that really doesnt have much to say and end up with a genius , it will be such a drastic change i cant even begin to think of all the possibilities.......

thanks for the enthusiasm, keep posting ideas!

SoNowThen

watch the first 15 minutes or so of Don Siegel's The Killers for perfectly bad zooms, and some of the worst effects you've ever seen.

Also, you HAVE TO have the boom drop in the shot. That's a must.

And lastly, you should have one of those forced perspective things, where you use midgets in the BG (like the end of Casablanca), but then the characters actually move into the background and it becomes obvious that they're just standing a couple feet away from midgets...
that could be funny...

Alethia

i'm jealous of you, gjg 4 REEL.  what a great idea!  jesus........

i'd pay lotsa money to see this

a good thing to put in -  have the voices be out of sync with the lips for like ten minutes straight.  thatd be funny.

gjg 4 REEL

a good thing to put in -  have the voices be out of sync with the lips for like ten minutes straight.  thatd be funny.[/quote]    

thats great , i was also thinking really obvious editing mistakes, like his clothes will change from like a brown coat to a yellow shirt from shot to shot. or he puts out a cigarette then has a new one lit the next shot, then doesnt have anything the next shot. or we see his journal full of ideas and the next shot the page is empty. i also want to mix up the scenes a bit, but not in a clever way , just plain stupidly, this will mostly be shown in the dialogue, like he goes on a date with a girl , and then the next day he's begging her to go on a date with him , shes says something highly offensive hinting that they never were friends in the past, totally contradicting the romantic date we saw the scene before!

Alethia

it's brilliant - BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Cecil

gig, its a good idea, but dont overdo it... this can easily turn into something gimmicky and wont be funny anymore after 10 minutes

The Silver Bullet

The film within Full Frontal was watchable.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Weak2ndAct

Hrmmm.  Depends what your plans on with what you want to do with the movie.  Most people frown upon the m-w/in-m idea, it's a newb-archetype script, as are heist-gone-wrong stories.

gjg 4 REEL

Quote from: Cecilgig, its a good idea, but dont overdo it... this can easily turn into something gimmicky and wont be funny anymore after 10 minutes

i definately know what your saying