suicide scene: original ideas?

Started by subversiveproductions, August 01, 2003, 09:42:41 AM

subversiveproductions

definitely, it's the kind of thing that looks so peaceful, and yet is terribly disturbing.  very moving imagery i think.
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

neatahwanta

Jumping off a suspension bridge at night is always good...with the lights of the bridge, shawdows against the gorge walls, and darkness of the eh-bis.  The slow walk on the bridge until the victim reaches the middle.  Then a happy couple walks by, breaking the tension for a moment.  Then the victim thinks about the couple, that one last glimmer of hope, but decides its time to go.

Alternatively, a raccoon could break their fall.  Its been known to happen.

Cecil

Quote from: markums2kThe worst suicide I've ever seen, meaning: terrible, no emotional impact, laughable, etc. was from The Rules of Attraction.  Incidentally, they slit their wrists in a bath tub...  :roll:  But then, in the same movie, the hanging scene is wonderfully disturbing.  I feel the main difference is, we know a great deal about the one character (Van Der Beek), and nothing about the other.  

With the bathtub scene, all of a sudden, this character we've never met (only in 'letters') is presented through montage-style suicide.  Horribly NOT effective.  I just didn't give a shit.

you didnt give a shit? neither did most of the school, and nobody will ever know why she did it either. im sure avary is delighted that youre proving his point.

another way of killing yourself is locking yourself in the garage with the car running.

©brad

good job cecil dude.

i think ur (and by 'ur' i mean whoever started this topic) concentrating too hard on how this character of urs should kill himself instead of why, which trully, is more important.

Raikus

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Alethia

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

markums2k

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedim sure avary is delighted that youre proving his point.

And thus, he proves my point.  If his goal was to create a scene that totally removed from the movie and made me roll my eyes (like so,  :roll: ), then, bravo...

Whether he meant it to be like that is not relevant to this thread.  I think you and I agree that the scene in pretty ineffective, intentional or not.  Yes?

Anyways, I think the posts that suggest suicide isn't a great idea are probably the best ones.  After all, there's more drama in living than dying.

Cecil

i actually think it is very effective, and a gutsy move on his part.

markums2k

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedi actually think it is very effective, and a gutsy move on his part.

Okay.  So we don't agree.  :-D   I'd be interested to know why you think it's a gutsy move.  I didn't take it that way at all.  I don't want to debate it, I'm just genuinely interested.

Cecil

well the fact that there is no (or hardly any) investment with the character before she kills herself. basically everything you said before is true, but i felt it worked.