House of the Dragon

Started by Jeremy Blackman, October 05, 2021, 06:05:52 PM

polkablues

Yeah, she's definitely the best part of the show right now, and it's making me dread the impending time jump a little bit.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

This show's biggest visual hurdle for me continues to be the 'dragon' bits. Especially when there's an actor on the mount/saddle - it feels a bit Richard Donner esque, like there's an uncanniness between the sky and the actor always. Having read the book, the dragons will only become more plentiful and I wonder how much that may irk casual audiences.

Also, it's fucking hilarious that the running gag of Muppet-named characters in the books didn't get altered for the HBO series. Grover Tully begets Elmo Tully begets Kermit Tully.

polkablues

Yeah, lots more dragon material plus a noticeably smaller VFX budget has not proven itself to be a sustainable combination. Also, the dragons are boring and plot-breaking and I'm rooting for their swift extinction, but that's a separate point.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I'm also not thrilled with the dragon effects, but given the ratings this show is getting, I'm hoping for a higher budget for next season.

This episode was nonstop unease and tension for me, i.e. exactly what I wanted. I couldn't wait for it to end but never wanted it to end.

Daemon continues to elicit nothing but eyerolls from me. He's a thug and a manchild and I'm just not particularly interested in his inner life. But what they're doing with Alicent is great. I can dislike her but still be fascinated by how she got where she is.

Quote from: polkablues on September 26, 2022, 04:45:59 PMAlso, the dragons are boring and plot-breaking and I'm rooting for their swift extinction, but that's a separate point.

I think this story will avoid the "dragons are too powerful and make things one-sided" problem. (I haven't read F&B but am vaguely aware of what's coming.)