An ideer

Started by Pedro, October 18, 2003, 05:56:04 PM

Pedro

I have a concept and I'm not really sure how original it is.  I'd like to know if it's been done before.  

CONCEPT:  Purgatory is like a school...you take personalized classes there.  In class you learn what you did wrong and what you did right...after whatever time you are given a test (if it's written or not im still trying to figure out).  Fail the test: stay in purgatory/  Pass the test: Go to heaven.  Fail more than once: hellbound...

it's really not too good of an idea...im working on making it more visual.  but im just curious if this has been done before

ono

I saw a short film that did something like this where this guy dies and goes to a waiting zone like purgatory I guess.  But it's a diner.  And this guy with a goatee waxes philsophical only in a hip way.  It's a much better film than I'm making it sound.  I think the metaphor you have is a good premise, but it takes something really original to break out of the mold of what is accepted as convention when you're dealing with something like that.

aclockworkjj

I am going to hell.

Cecil

Find Your Magali

Twisting the idea (which I like a lot)...

What if the main character DIDN'T KNOW he had died and gone to purgatory? He just suddenly find himself back in high school, around familiar people, and doesn't know why. (A dream? Time travel? Or maybe his memory is cloudy.) ... He could either be the age he was when he died, or he could be 18 again. ... And so it's gradually revealed where the main character is, and what his goal is (passing the most important test of his life, err... his existence.) ... An old favorite teacher could be serving as his guide/coach, etc. .... Maybe the only people that he's there with are folks who are also in purgatory from his high school graduation class. People who are already in heaven or hell either aren't there, or exist only as dim phantoms or spirits.

Lots of potential to mine here.

When does the audience find out the twist? Same time as the character? That could be spooky and fun ending, a la, Sixth Sense or The Others.

Have fun with it!

pookiethecat

Quote from: Find Your MagaliTwisting the idea (which I like a lot)...

What if the main character DIDN'T KNOW he had died and gone to purgatory? He just suddenly find himself back in high school, around familiar people, and doesn't know why. (A dream? Time travel? Or maybe his memory is cloudy.) ... He could either be the age he was when he died, or he could be 18 again. ... And so it's gradually revealed where the main character is, and what his goal is (passing the most important test of his life, err... his existence.) ... An old favorite teacher could be serving as his guide/coach, etc. .... Maybe the only people that he's there with are folks who are also in purgatory from his high school graduation class. People who are already in heaven or hell either aren't there, or exist only as dim phantoms or spirits.

cool idea, man.
i wanna lick 'em.