Rivers and Tides

Started by Ravi, July 24, 2003, 10:02:18 PM

Ravi

I just saw the documentary Rivers and Tides:  Andy Goldsworthy Working With Time and was pleasantly surprised.  Goldsworthy makes sculptures out of things in nature, like leaves and stones and even icicles.  Much of his work is temporary, being melted away or washed away by the tide, but some, like the stone walls, are sturdy.  It is engrossing to watch the artist so absorbed in his work.  The sculptures are quite beautiful.

Here's some of his work.

pete

I loved it.  there was this one shot where the filmmaker had created some kind of looping track for the camera as it goes up and down this stream where his artwork is displayed--know what I'm talking about?  it was a remarkable shot because the camera was on a crane or something, going up and down and throught stuff. that was all I remember, couldn't remember the specific movements.  but I believe andy goldsworthy was definitely working very closely with the film camera in some instances.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

lamas

I thought this was just amazing.  What patience this guy must have to be able to do some of that shit.

Ravi

Quote from: lamasI thought this was just amazing.  What patience this guy must have to be able to do some of that shit.

Particularly what he was doing with the tree and the reeds.  One gust and the whole thing is over.

Pete, I think I know what shot you are talking about.  The cinematography in this film is beautiful.  I imagine that a motion picture camera can depict Goldsworthy's work better than still photographs can.  The camera can move along walls or follow the snake-like leaves in the water.