The Velvet Underground

Started by TenseAndSober, January 29, 2003, 10:58:47 PM

European Son

Quote from: Moniker Jonesmy favorite all-time band
I'm pretty sure that they're my favorite band too. Everyone always talks about Velvet Underground & Nico and Loaded, but the self-titled album has some drop dead gorgeous songs like "Candy Says," "Pale Blue Eyes," and "Jesus." Too bad that hardly anyone bought their records or attended their shows in the late 60's. Their loss. I would give anything to go back in time to a VU show.

NEON MERCURY

More of a Reed solo than VU fan:

1.Berlin is great
2.The Raven is great(but may be aquired tastes for some)
3.transformer is great
4.take no prisoners is great
5.anything that I heard live is Brilliant-man can he write

godardian

I adore, adore, adore The VU... I think I feel about them the way many seem to feel about The Beatles. I love the first album, but I actually like Velvet Underground ('69) and Nico's overwhelming John Cale-produced solo stuff from the '70s, which is of a rare quality.

I also have a John Cale Island Years compilation that's excellent. I saw him tour with The Creatures. He was technically the opener, but he played through with them, and believe me, you haven't lived until you've seen Siouxsie Sioux do "RoadRunner" (which Cale originally produced for Jonathan Richman, of course) with John Cale on keyboards. It was fucking magical.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: European Son
Quote from: Moniker Jonesmy favorite all-time band
I'm pretty sure that they're my favorite band too. Everyone always talks about Velvet Underground & Nico and Loaded, but the self-titled album has some drop dead gorgeous songs like "Candy Says," "Pale Blue Eyes," and "Jesus." Too bad that hardly anyone bought their records or attended their shows in the late 60's. Their loss. I would give anything to go back in time to a VU show.

All great songs, but I think my favorite is "I'm Set Free." My favorite album, too (as I mentioned).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.