I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

jenkins

i restrained myself by not ordering

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

putneyswipe

Couldn't resist picking up a few more kinos

Also found these for cheap recently

jenkins

WorldForgot

excuse the shoddy Android photo ~

jenkins

is the other movie avenges endgame?

WorldForgot

Hahaha  ;p
Nah, I can stream that and feel all right.

jenkins

oh okay. is it swordsman iii: the east is red?

WorldForgot

It's a neat Arrow promo card (what are these called? lobby cards?) for The Ballad of Narayama (1983)

jenkins

ahh, the Imamura. excellent. that's classic folk stuff out on criterion in the 58 Kinoshita version, but I am itching for the Imamura version indeed, just because of Imamura

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on May 20, 2020, 03:36:30 PM

If you want something exponentially darker (and hardcore), Roger Watkins' Corruption (1983)

This is a story about a businessman that "sells his soul" for power. However, he is betrayed by courier/associate and finds himself answering to his former employee. The businessman must then call upon his sleazy half-brother to help him set things right - or so he thinks.

There are a few good articles about it with screencaps, here:

-Three Rooms: The Art of Roger Watkins' Corruption (Part 1)

-Outside the Three Rooms: The Art of Roger Watkins' Corruption (Part 2)

-Descent into the Inferno: Roger Watkins' CORRUPTION

and some history on the filmmaker himself

-The strange and tragic career of director Roger Watkins - The Brag

the VS people who like "regular movies" are so, so into the Last House On Dead End Street easter egg here. they far prefer Last House On Dead End Street to Corruption. have you watched it?

an entire other movie is an easter egg on another movie's release

how to do it:

On the main menu screen. Scroll all the way down until the search bar disappears. Keep clickng down until the t on the title of corruption on the menu screen stands out. You will notice it when you see it. Click on the t and it will take you to the film

wilder

I've heard it's on there but never watched it - thanks for the how-to. Recently heard someone on a podcast say that there are lots of people who buy Corruption just for Last House on Dead End, and are embarrassed that they have to have the x-rated Corruption alongside it in their collection. They're excited about owning what some describe as the most depraved film they've ever seen but don't want to be associated with the other one. lol

I recently learned about Peter Watkins' later film, American Babylon (1985):

Quote from: Rupert PupkinWhen most cult film fans hear the name Roger Watkins, they instantly think of his primal scream horror film "Last House on Dead End Street." However, when I see Roger's name, I think of his real masterwork, 1987's "American Babylon." A tone poem of small town melancholy disguised as an adult film, "American Babylon" stars Michael Gaunt as Thomas, a middle-aged man whose life-in-auto-pilot is shaken up by his friendship with Robert (Bobby Astyr), a neighbor who spends much of his free time procuring and watching grimy stag reels. As Thomas' wife grows more and more unstable, at one point blowing up the TV in their bedroom with a shotgun, he begins a passion-less affair with Robert's neglected wife, Joan (Tish Ambrose). What unfolds is that nothing is what it seems. Robert initially reads as mentally unstable, at one point walking in on Joan having sex with a friend while Thomas watches, all the while wearing a trash bag and acting completely non-plussed by the lurid action going on. Yet, the more he speaks, the more it becomes apparent that he has more on the ball than anyone else. "American Babylon" is a film that will eternally appear on any "best films" list I do. The pall of Americana and the little death of the self that happens when you realize that you have spent over half of your life going through the motions all inhabit this film. The performances, especially Gaunt's and Bobby Astyr, two of the most underrated actors from the last thirty years, are pitch-perfect. Ambrose is also good as the sad eyed Joan, not to mention Chelsea Blake as the cheese-sliding-off-the-cracker wife of Thomas. Unfortunately, like a lot of Watkins' work, it lies in out-of-print, bootleg/torrent limbo.

I know horror has become the real bread and butter of Vinegar Syndrome, and I'm thankful for all the great work they do, but it does feel as if they're straying from the original mission, as of late. That's a title I hope they rescue from obscurity.

jenkins

want it, totally

you know I fucking love that VS stans tend to shun adult movies. it's genuinely hard to find people to have decent conversations with about adult movies. so it's catnip to me

Find Your Magali