Top of 2022 (Initial Lists)

Started by WorldForgot, December 02, 2022, 11:58:04 AM

WorldForgot

Now that the year is winding down we can start to reflect on 2022, and sing the praises of the films that mattered most to us this year. I haven't seen everything I want to see from this year so far, but to get my gears turnin'!
1. Terrifier 2
2. Tár
3. jeen -yuhs: a kanye trilogy
4. The Munsters
5. Crimes of the Future
6. Triangle of Sadness
7. Jackass Forever
8. We're All Going to the World's Fair
9. Nope
10. Banshees of Inisherin

Honorable mentions: Top Gun: Maverick, Moonage Daydream, Glass Onion, Scream, Three Thousand Years of Longing

Alethia

My unofficial 20 of '22, still much (!) to see, to be amended....

Also I love that Terrifier 2 is your top pick, gotta get myself Terrified asap

EDIT - WAIT We're All Going to the World's Fair counts for 22? Thought it was a 21er???

WorldForgot

I'm not sure if we ever settled on which year it should fall under. I think most people saw it early this year, despite it having a lot of festival screenings last year. I saw it for the first time this March/April.

polkablues

Its official US release date (not including festival screenings) was April 2022, so that's normally the metric we go by.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

Alethia

Still need to see: Decision to Leave, Aftersun, Master Gardener, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, All the Beauty and the Bloodshed, Glass Onion, Pinocchio (the del Toro not the Zemeckis, although sure why not), The Menu, She Said, Violent Night, Triangle of Sadness, NOT Amsterdam, The Whale, The Eternal Daughter, Elvis, Vengeance, Terrifier 2, Wambulance, Do Revenge, Smile, SHE HULK, Funny Pages, Confess, Fletch, Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me, EO, Empire of Light, The Munsters, Girl Picture, The Novelist's Film...

...okay, I'm calling it: there are simply too many movies. I reckon I'll manage 3-4 from the top of the above list before New Years, and likely move on and not see most of the rest of them. Ever. Probably.

Still in flux, and rankings are pretty arbitrary after #1, but as of today:

1. The Fabelmans - Steven Spielberg
2. Petite Maman - Céline Sciamma
3. Armageddon Time - James Gray
4. Top Gun: Maverick - Joseph Kosinski
5. Tár - Todd Field
6. The Kingdom: Exodus - Lars von Trier
7. The Banshees of Inisherin - Martin McDonagh
8. We're All Going to the World's Fair - Jane Schoenbrun
9. Nope - Jordan Peele
10. Pearl - Ti West
11. Barbarian - Zach Cregger
12. White Noise - Noah Baumbach
13. The Fire Within: Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft - Werner Herzog
14. Stars At Noon - Claire Denis
15. This Much I Know to Be True - Andrew Dominik
16. Both Sides of the Blade - Claire Denis
17. Women Talking - Sarah Polley
18. "Sr." - Chris Marker
19. Speak No Evil - Christian Tafdrup
20. Showing Up - Kelly Reichardt
21. Bones and All - Luca Guadagnino
22. Jackass Forever - Jeff Tremaine
23. Skinamarink - Kyle Edward Ball
24. Fire of Love - Sara Dosa
25. Corsage - Marie Kreutzer

WorldForgot

Quote from: eward on December 15, 2022, 09:43:33 AMStill need to see: Decision to Leave, Aftersun, Master Gardener, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, All the Beauty and the Bloodshed, Glass Onion, Pinocchio (the del Toro not the Zemeckis, although sure why not), The Menu, She Said, Violent Night, Triangle of Sadness, NOT Amsterdam, The Whale, The Eternal Daughter, Elvis, Vengeance, Terrifier 2, Wambulance, Do Revenge, Smile, SHE HULK, Funny Pages, Confess, Fletch, Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me, EO, Empire of Light, The Munsters, Girl Picture, The Novelist's Film...
 I reckon I'll manage 3-4 from the top of the above list before New Years, and likely move on and not see most of the rest of them. Ever. Probably.

Wait how come? I mean, Wambulance and Smile and Violent Night for example I get why you might not catch up on, but how come you say that about the rest?

Alethia

Just bc I have a thick backlog of must-sees from previous years that I've still yet to get around to. Perhaps 2023 I'll break this pattern? I'm still closing my gaps on the S&S list.

Yes

I'll refrain from posting until I see Avatar this weekend but I've caught everything I wanted. I saw Babylon, even. Only missed Living, Man Called Otto, Return to Seoul. I didn't watch Kingdom but the qualification is iffy (I consider Petite Maman 2021. Lux Aeterna I watched in like 2020)

WorldForgot

Dang yeah idk if I can count Lux, but i didn't have access to it until this year obvi. These threads also help remind me what I've missed! I'm going to watch Skinamarink tomorrow for sure.

Gotta catch up on:
The Fire Within: Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft, EO, Women Talking, "Sr.", Speak No Evil, Funny Pages, and Showing Up

Yes

1. The Fabelmans
2. The Batman
3. All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
4. White Noise
5. Aftersun
6. One Fine Morning
7. Saint Omer
8. TAR
9. Banshees of Inisherin
10. Ambulance

HONORABLE MENTION: The Novelist's Film. Elvis. X.

NOT 2022 BUT GOOD: Les Amandiers. Lux Aeterna.