Best cut in film history?

Started by Spike, September 21, 2003, 12:19:21 PM

Cecil

everytime someone says RoA is a bad movie, a little piece of me dies

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cecileverytime someone says RoA is a bad movie, a little piece of me dies

Cheer up, Cecil. I liked it. Think you and I are the only two though.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

I liked it, too, actually.  Sometimes I think people are too hard on Avary ... and Van Der Beek (great in Varsity Blues as well), and Jessica Biel and Shannon Sossamon and er, that chick who was on Young Americans, that short lived miniseries er, I mean "drama" ... ah, yes, Kate Bosworth.  But yes, RoA was very good, and what some people thought were "stupid camera tricks," I thought were used effectively to further the story ... or something ... yes.  And gah, that final scene in the snow was just great for me.  The ending was a trip, too.  And the credits that followed.

On topic, I just saw a little bit of Eisenstein's ¡Que Viva Mexico! this morning, and was blown away.  And it seems some critics say this is his lesser work, his only "non-masterpiece," so I hope that says a lot about the quality of his other works.  Soviet Montage Theory, or whatever it's called, is responsible, and is chock full of great examples of cuts.

cine

Yeah, Potemkin is one helluva great film.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Cecileverytime someone says RoA is a bad movie, a little piece of me dies

Cheer up, Cecil. I liked it. Think you and I are the only two though.

No! No! Me too!  :multi:

Pwaybloe

Really?  I always liked it too.  I was a huge fan of the book.

I remember when it came out and everyone here just destroyed it... so I kept my mouth shut.

SHAFTR

Quote from: PawbloeReally?  I always liked it too.  I was a huge fan of the book.

I remember when it came out and everyone here just destroyed it... so I kept my mouth shut.

I was very excited for it but was ultimately disappointed...it isn't bad but I wouldn't call it good either.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

rustinglass

I liked rules too,

I think festen has one hell of a good cut: When Christian taps with aspoon on three different glasses to get attention for the speech, and with a prgressivly higher pitch and the camera like jumps nearer to him as the pitch rises: tap-tap-CUT-tap-tap-CUT-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Cecil

yes. those little pieces of me that died have now resurrected

Leatherface

Ghostboy

I'm a fan of ROA who didn't actually like the movie. Sort of like I'm a fan of Unbreakable.

Weak2ndAct

- Yeah, the 2001 cut is the money shot, can't argue that one.
- For sheer volume, I vote for The Limey.  Too many great cuts to count in that one.
- I LOVE RoA!  Hopefully time will be kinder to it (as with Killing Zoe).
- Another Se7en one: The subliminal flash of Gwyneth's face during the climax.
- Taxi Driver: "Listen you fuckers, you screwheads--" jump cut back to DeNiro turning again.  That one gets me every time.

SHAFTR

Phillip Baker Hall's introduction in Boogie Nights.

The Jump Cuts in Breathless when he is telling her what parts of her body he loves (when they are in the car).
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Spike

Quote from: SHAFTRPhillip Baker Hall's introduction in Boogie Nights.

Yeah, that was as great as Robert Ridgeley's introduction in "Boogie Nights".
By the way: What was the music during the Hall-introduction-scene? It was so amazing!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

MacGuffin

Quote from: SpikeBy the way: What was the music during the Hall-introduction-scene? It was so amazing!

"Driver's Seat" - Sniff N The Tears
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks