Project Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, June 21, 2003, 09:22:56 AM

GoneSavage

I'm watching the marathon today to catch myself up.  They started the marathon a few episodes into it, basically after the script and director had been chosen (although maybe that was just one episode, no idea).  It's pretty good -- especially seeing the differences between the director and writers and their approaches.  The writers are going Hollywood while the director just wants to make a home movie (hate to beat that point to the ground).  He's a shit choice though, in my opinion.  You have to be the captain of the ship, or at least pretend like you can do so.  He's just a blubbering mouse, but a great heel for the show.  I can't see this going well but I'm loving it so far.

Gamblour.

Most recent episode was good, i think it's hilarious how much everyone makes fun of Krista Allen. I hope this flick is good.
WWPTAD?

Raikus

Another good episode, only one more to go. Well, we know Feast has been getting some test screenings. Do you think it will get a wide release though? I'm actually wanting to see this movie now--not because I think it will be great, but just to make fun of the actors and admire Gulager's direction.

I'm glad the casting director showed back up in this last episode. Every ep needs a villian.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gamblour.

I hope they release it just because I want to see how it all turned out, and see all the cool bits that they didn't show getting filmed. I wish on the dvd of this season that they would include one of the raw cuts of the film, that would be really interesting to see how a film can get really tightened up through editing. Just a wish, though.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Awesome final episode, it's exciting to see Gulager succeed and have everyone happy. I liked the sound of the coyote getting eaten by the monster in the cattle carcass. I really want to see this.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

HaHa. They used Requiem For A Dream as their temp score.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Yay! An upbeat ending for Greenlight--talk about changing the formula. So I guess we can expect "Feast" in time for Christmas?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gamblour.

They said Fall on the show, so I'd guess Halloween.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkThey said Fall on the show, so I'd guess Halloween.

They said December actually.

And I guess they finally realized that, if you're documenting the making of a film and the PRODUCERS don't even like the movie, why should the viewers go see it?  

I actually can't wait to see this.  The cinematography seems to be not only better than the previous Greenlight features but better than a lot of horror movies that get major budgets these days.

Gamblour.

I could've sworn they said Fall, but maybe they said that at first. Oh well.

And yeah, Gulager's got a good eye. They keep showing that one shot of the shotgun sliding across the floor, which looks awesome.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor Posts DrunkI could've sworn they said Fall, but maybe they said that at first. Oh well.

At the meeting the morning after the test screening, Fall is mentioned. At the wrap party in Vegas, the VP of Dimension The Weinstein Co. specifically says it would premiere at The Palms hotel in December.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i hope this is good. what if its good?  

greenlight was a good show.  i hope theres another season.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

It's not looking good for Greenlight the show. Chris Moore's final blog is basically a goodbye and thanks to all the people this season and in the past for making it this far. Even though this season got great reviews from critics, there were just no ratings.

Outlook: bleak.

MacGuffin

Pulling Plug on "Project Greenlight"?
Source: E! Online

Project Greenlight may have hit a red light.

Chris Moore, who masterminded the Bravo reality show with pals Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, said Friday that the movie-making documentary series has likely aired its final episode.

The synergistic Greenlight finds neophyte directors and screenwriters via an Internet contest and shoots them as they try to make a movie for a TV reality show. The film is then released theatrically once the season ends.

Damon and Affleck conceived Greenlight as a way to discover would-be Spielbergs and give them a chance to make a movie. They cited their own Oscar-winning success with Good Will Hunting as the prototype.

The first two seasons of Project Greenlight aired on HBO, but the premium cable net axed the series in 2003. Bravo quickly snapped up broadcast rights and expanded the show from a half-hour to an hour. The nine-part third season wrapped Thursday.

However, Greenlight's ratings dwindled over the course of the season, jeopardizing the future of the show.

"Last night was probably the last new episode of Project Greenlight ever," Moore writes in his blog at Bravotv.com.

"I am sorry to be reporting this here, but anyone reading this blog is a devoted and loyal Project Greenlight fan. You have been loyal and vocal and true fans of what we have tried to do, so I want you all to know the truth first."

Further, Moore has left Live Planet, the multimedia company that coproduced Project Greenlight, to form his own company.

Another factor hurting the series' long-term viability is the split between Disney and Miramax bosses Bob and Harvey Weinstein. Miramax released the first two Project Greenlight films and its horror subsidiary, Dimension, will release the third season flick, Feast, later this year. Without Disney's deep pockets at their disposal, the Weinsteins are presumably reluctant to gamble on unproven talents.

While the filmmaking contest series drew a rabid, if small, following, the first two releases--season one's Stolen Summer and 2003's The Battle of Shaker Heights--both bombed at the box office.

This past season, Greenlight eschewed the coming-of-age plots of its first two seasons' films in favor of a more commercial horror flick called Feast.

Feast has no official release date, although producers say it will likely be out during the holiday season.

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

They should do a show where they take the cost of the next ill-advised, 9-digit-budgeted sequel to a moderately successful film and divide it equally amongst everyone on xixax.