David Letterman , the man of letters

Started by Jack Sparrow, June 21, 2003, 09:15:29 AM

Pubrick

scarlett has never looked better. my god she was glowing, if only she could keep her damn hands still. dave went from introducing her as a "woman" to referring to her as a "cute girl". the only times she seemed comfortable were when her jokes failed, and she said "forget it", that was her letting her guard down and not being so self-consciously adorable. well i'm not complaining, i was enthralled. i'm just waiting for someone to publically confront her about being too beautiful, or at least make comparisons to marilyn monroe.. i guess everyone's waiting to see where it goes.

and it would've been the best show of the year if they hadn't bumped imogen heap, that hide and seek song has really grown on me and deserves a spot among the top tracks of 2005.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

this just occured to me in the remake thread..

what's the last scandal that happened on the show? i remember when crazy stuff would happen all the time like with drew and richard simmons and all those classic moments. that's what he needs now. i guess now that he's older he's over all that agitation, see: courtney love not returning.

it'd do the show good to have something stupid happen again, if he intends to stay fresh for another 5 years.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

funny and great on havn't seen it in a while.
under the paving stones.

Bethie

Come on this hasn't been posted in since 2006? What is the matter with you people?

I have made the switch. The switch back to Dave. I miss his cold heart. Martha Stewart tonight "we're going to make hamburgers" and dave: "im not really in the mood to cook. "i'm not hungry" so difficult. if it were conan cooking he'd light something on fire or pour all the alcohol on the flames, where as dave would just drink it. haha
who likes movies anyway

RegularKarate

Anyone watch last night? 
I didn't, but I just read a blog about it.  He discussed being blackmailed and admitted that the things he was blackmailed for were true.  Seems like a really cool, funny, honest Letterman moment, but I wonder how ratings-driven the decision to discuss it on air was.

Transcript and part of the video here.  I'm sure it's other places too (and maybe the whole video), but that's where I read it.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

audiences in these shows are the worst imbeciles. this is just like the Seinfeld/Richards interview...

It's pretty great/weird TV moment.

Pozer

i'm sure if you were witnessing it youduv LOLd too. look at his face throughout, id have thought he was being sarcastic or something. albeit, a imbecile i is. 

Pas

yeah I would probably have laughed or say to my friend : Oh my god!!! But I wouldn't have clapped when he says it's true he had sex with the employes. Especially when the guy is married. What the fuck, you americans are so retarded when it comes to sex really. Watching american TV you'd think having sex is something that you deserve praise for. Something reserved for the most elite and awesome members of society. In Quebec it's basically treated like a fact of life, no one thinks it's extreme or whatever. That's another subject tho.

Pozer

You don't have any idea what you're talking about.

it's all for another subject. you're being too hard on the audience here. like with Seinfeld/Richards, it's mostly just WTF confusion. if they didnt clap or something, it would have been awkward. Americans dont like awkwardness. 

children with angels

You crazy cultural commentators! This is in no way an issue of American sensibility, etc. This is just a show with a particular kind of comic tone, he went outside of that tone, it resulted in laughter - that's entirely expected/understood. It's simply a matter of conventions.

P.S.: This was great TV.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

watch the part when he says something like : "the man accused me of sleeping with members of my staff (whatever I'm paraphrasing) and to that I reply : yes it's true.'' after that the audience cheers and laughs and he's like stfu. The way he looks down and smile after that tells me he must be thinking : ''what a bunch of brain dead idiots''

As for the cultural commentary it was not directly related to the event per se, but as a whole, and based on a TV perception (I've never been to the US)

it's funny because it's really unique etc. but it's more of a ''Omg tell me more'' laugh than what the audience seems to be doing which is : ''Oh David stop being a goof!!'' ANYWAYS I don't know  :yabbse-undecided: