Alien Vs. Predator

Started by MacGuffin, June 16, 2003, 04:09:39 PM

bonanzataz

that wasn't funny, ya poof!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

this was just sort of blah.  i guess i shouldnt have been expecting much, and i wasnt but hoped it could be fun in a freddy vs. jason way.  it wasnt.  the problem was that freddy has a personality, (jason doesnt.)  here there are two creatures, neither of which you know/care anything about, so really who gives a shit?  it was really dark.  seemed a little censored cutting away from anything violent quickly.  could've been a lot worse, but it could've been a lot better.  it just sort of layed there.  :?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Ya know..

I'm thinking this movie is going to be a live reinactment of a first person shooter.

;)

Wow.. You know this movie has to suck ass when you see www.metacritic.com listing this.

Bad movie alert!
Alien vs. Predator
was not screened in advance for critics.

It's scored a 26/100 so far.

The Perineum Falcon

*SPOILERS*.... I guess, but there's no reason you should see this anyway.

----------------------------------------------

Jesus Christ, I didn't realize I paid to watch a Buddy Movie.
Going in, I wasn't expecting much, or anything at all from this. But I got much less than that. This was horrible and yet it received quite a bit of fan fare during certain moments of action, as if the audience were saying, "hey! this is pretty good!" That was later confirmed when a number of people came out of the theater exclaiming, and now I'm quoting, "You think this could be officially declared AWESOME?!"
Quite a few awkward moments of sexual tension between the two "leads" made me giggle. As did the bad Charlie's Angel shot of people running away from fire. I also noticed a Jurassic Park rip-off towards the end.

All in all, I've come to know just how much I hate the people in my town.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

bonanzataz

i was a little miffed when it took over an hour for the predators to start fighting the aliens. also, warning to alien fans: this is really a predator movie with guest starring aliens. being a bigger alien fan, that disappointed me. but i guess it can't really be an alien movie without ripley. i had a fun time, but only because i had a fun audience who clapped at the dumb shit and whatnot. i really didn't think it was as awesome as resident evil or even mortal kombat, but it was better than staying at home and doing nothing.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

bonanzataz

I'LL JUST SPOIL THE MOVIE FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO SEE IT BUT WANT TO KNOW THE END, so SPOILER! (swipe to read):

it turns out that the predators came to earth thousands of years ago and brought alien specimens with them b/c the predators are hunters and they like a challenge. so they built this pyramid/obstacle course type thing and had all these aliens in it and would hunt them. then they just kind of blew up the place and left earth, b/c, fuck it man, the aliens were getting too strong. thousands of years later (present day), the predators were like, hey, let's go hunting again, and prepared the site for landing and awoke the queen who was frozen inside. in doing this, they sent off a satellite signal, which was recepted by some organization. so, when the excavation team comes to explore the pyramid, they all end up getting alien implants, except for one chick who allies with the predators so that the aliens won't escape the pyramid and she can destroy the aliens with the predator hunters. they do and the movie is over. OR SO WE THINK! turns out, one of the predators got an alien implant and when he's on his little spaceship on the way back to wherever he comes from, a little alien/predator hybrid pops out of his stomach. then the movie ends. my friend said to me, why would it be a predator/alien hybrid if when the aliens are in our systems, it's not an alien/human hybrid. but i just told him, in all the alien movies, the only aliens we've ever seen have been aliens that came from humans. so there.

rustinglass

and the dog hybrid, the coolest alien ever. (correcting taz' last statement)
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

bonanzataz

Quote from: rustinglassand the dog hybrid, the coolest alien ever. (correcting taz' last statement)

oh, shit! i forgot about that one. good call. i feel like watching the alien movies. and going out and buying the new predator dvd. DAMMIT! AVP was just a marketing ploy for fans to get nostalgic and buy more shit...

Henry Hill

:o   did anyone like it??   i am going to see it anyway.

bonanzataz

Quote from: filmboy70:o   did anyone like it??   i am going to see it anyway.

i guess if you're a fan of either series, you kind of have to see it. it's a movie based on marketing. i paid for manchurian candidate though, b/c the theater i went to was all sold out. i had to sit in the aisles. it was degrading. and i couldn't walk straight for an hour.

Myxo

This is the kinda stuff that drives me nuts. I was discussing AvP with a guy in another forum that I post in. I was trying to explain why I have no intention of seeing it and he says,

"Lol. Think what you want man. It wasn't half-bad, IMO.  Maybe you should write them and ask them to hire Steven Spielberg to direct the next one, and cast Tom Cruise in the lead, and use Lucas studios to do the special effects, and have Francis Copella write the screen play, and then maybe you will be satisfied that it is a good enough movie to grace your eyes. :P

Me, I love all kinds of movies. Sometimes I just want to be entertained. That is what movies like this are for, and it pulled it off well. I don't go into every movie looking for Lord of the Rings. I'm not that nieve. I think people, in general, over-analyze movies way too much, especially movie critics. It's one thing to not like a movie because the story didn't capture you, or it's not your thing, or whatever.

But some people don't like Spider-Man movies because of things like "In the comic book, his webshooters are not part of his powers. Oh, and his spidey symbol on his chest is slighty skewed to the right, when it is suppose to be skewed to the left. What is with this stupid movie? Total crap! Ruins it all! I'll never watch another movie again and I'm going off to join a convent! Cruel world, how could you do this to me!"

pete

I think the "it's just a movie" argument is one of the worst in the world.  if it's "just a movie", then why are they spending like 80 million on it, with a staff of lawyers, market researchers, and why do the tickets coast 10 bucks and the popcorns cost 5?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Unfortunately too many people regard the movies as nothing more than a way to kill 2 hours.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MyxomatosisThis is the kinda stuff that drives me nuts. I was discussing AvP with a guy in another forum that I post in. I was trying to explain why I have no intention of seeing it and he says,

"Lol. Think what you want man. It wasn't half-bad, IMO.  Maybe you should write them and ask them to hire Steven Spielberg to direct the next one, and cast Tom Cruise in the lead, and use Lucas studios to do the special effects, and have Francis Copella write the screen play, and then maybe you will be satisfied that it is a good enough movie to grace your eyes. :P

Me, I love all kinds of movies. Sometimes I just want to be entertained. That is what movies like this are for, and it pulled it off well. I don't go into every movie looking for Lord of the Rings. I'm not that nieve. I think people, in general, over-analyze movies way too much, especially movie critics. It's one thing to not like a movie because the story didn't capture you, or it's not your thing, or whatever.

But some people don't like Spider-Man movies because of things like "In the comic book, his webshooters are not part of his powers. Oh, and his spidey symbol on his chest is slighty skewed to the right, when it is suppose to be skewed to the left. What is with this stupid movie? Total crap! Ruins it all! I'll never watch another movie again and I'm going off to join a convent! Cruel world, how could you do this to me!"

I agree with that guy. Can you have him join xixax?

Quote from: peteI think the "it's just a movie" argument is one of the worst in the world.  if it's "just a movie", then why are they spending like 80 million on it, with a staff of lawyers, market researchers, and why do the tickets coast 10 bucks and the popcorns cost 5?

I don't think it's the studios who are using that argument. It's show 'business'.

Also, while the studios do get a bulk of the admission price, the theater chains up the cost so they get a hefty cut too. And the studios have nothing to do with the concession stands.

Quote from: RaviUnfortunately too many people regard the movies as nothing more than a way to kill 2 hours.

Unfortunate for who? Not everyone is or wants to be a cinephile. Sometimes some people just want to escape.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks