Stand By Me? Suck on this

Started by Ernie, June 11, 2003, 09:03:24 PM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

godardian

I think the art vs. commercialization categories are too simplistic. ALL narrative feature filmmaking, however loosely or rigidly you want to define that, is "commercial" by nature. And a lot of the public's perceptions have much more to do with marketing than with the film itself. To me, there's nothing special or particularly enjoyable about Stand by Me. It felt like a TV show. I found it very bland and full of moments that seemed calculated in a very pandering, content-based way.

I'll refer once again to Andrew Sarris's "It's not WHAT, but HOW." Based on that very sage yardstick, I prefer Rushmore far and away over Stand by Me.

I agree that putting things into categories like "teen movie" is fairly useless.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: children with angels
If you include all those influences it will be the best fucking teen movie ever...! Have you started writing?

No, I haven't started writing it yet....I haven't really experienced all of teen life yet. See, this film that I talk of making will be about teens of different ages, it won't just be about a 1-2 year age range like American Pie is. It'll be about everything, 13-19..even 20-21 and 10-12 too. I wanna wait till I've graduated high school to start writing this thing. I want to make sure I have all my ideas and have met a lot of different kinds of kids and seen some more fights and breaks ups and stuff...then I'll take ALL those lists that I have (I have tons even now) and absolutely start writing.

BY THE WAY - I can't fucking believe I forgot to list Days of Heaven, Badlands, and Fast Times and Breakfest Club on my influences list! I know I probably look like a poser fan of them now but I seriously forgot! I can't fucking believe it, seriously...they are practically blueprints for some scenes I have in mind.

SoNowThen

Get on it, man. We're waiting.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: children with angels
If you include all those influences it will be the best fucking teen movie ever...! Have you started writing?

No, I haven't started writing it yet..

You have a whole summer to do it, right...? Take advantage of that! Some of us have to do our serious writing on weekends and after days of drudging work. Now is the time, kid!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

EL__SCORCHO

I love Stand By Me. This was the first movie I truly loved as a kid when I saw it on TV, I didn't even know what it was called back then. Years later, I was so happy to find it at a video that i shed a tear. This movie is great. Fuck GW.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOI love Stand By Me. This was the first movie I truly loved as a kid when I saw it on TV, I didn't even know what it was called back then. Years later, I was so happy to find it at a video that i shed a tear. This movie is great. Fuck GW.

i think the negative remarks about it so far have been really dumb

Ernie

The one comment that sort of made me realized what a dick I was being was the one talked about the two different kinds of teen movies...the honest, serious ones...and the ones actually marketed at teens...and how they shouldn't be compared. That shut me up pretty fast w/ my Stand By Me bashing. That was a really good point. I still feel I am right in saying that we deserve more of the serious ones though, there's still very few. I don't think I'm being a dick in saying that, it's almost inarguable. Sure, the sex fucking pie ones are great once or twice for a good laugh in the summer...but I could live without them easily.

Quote from: ebeamanThe one comment that sort of made me realized what a dick I was being was the one talked about the two different kinds of teen movies...the honest, serious ones...and the ones actually marketed at teens...and how they shouldn't be compared. That shut me up pretty fast w/ my Stand By Me bashing. That was a really good point. I still feel I am right in saying that we deserve more of the serious ones though, there's still very few. I don't think I'm being a dick in saying that, it's almost inarguable. Sure, the sex fucking pie ones are great once or twice for a good laugh in the summer...but I could live without them easily.

balance

you watch a film like magnolia, and then watch a fun film like sugar and spice

all the greats do, and the rest well they write scripts that nobody will ever want to look at

modage

good point.  nobody wouldve guessed paul loves adam sandler movies.  but ODB is right.  if you dont have balance, youll probably write some ultrapersonal arty crap that nobody will ever see (if it even got made in the first place).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02good point.  nobody wouldve guessed paul loves adam sandler movies.  but ODB is right.  if you dont have balance, youll probably write some ultrapersonal arty crap that nobody will ever see (if it even got made in the first place).

Oh fuck yeah...you guys are both right...balance is great. I'm going to make all kinds of movies. I'm going to make low budget, quiet little movies...then big budget freaking Tom Cruise...freaking George Clooney movies....all kinds man. I always want to be able to have that freedom.

I'm going to make possibly very bad films too...ones that may go horribly wrong I mean...I'm not saying intentionally bad of course. But I wanna take chances. Like, I have this idea for a film called Electric Lemonade, about a guy who resurrects a childhood lemonade stand and turns it into a national success of a restaurant after he loses his job. That's going to be either fucking awesome or HORRIBLE...I love not knowing what it's going to be like. I'm going to wait a long time to make it. That'll be one of the big budget ones with George Clooney and a backing ensemble cast and explosions and tv spots and all that awesome stuff...but it'll still be honest and real. It's going to be like a sexy, fun 80's movie but with some poignancy and some sadness and darkness too...Boogie Nights is the biggest inspiration for Electric Lemonade.

Anyway, yeah...I'm not looking to be artsy and indy for my whole career. I want to make all kinds of stuff and discover new, weird things and travel around and work with BIG HUGE EXPERIENCED actors as well as people who have never seen a camera in their life...that is heaven right there. It's pure balance. I have balance in my taste too just so you guys know. I like some non-honest, films that I watch just cause they are so fun. Adventures in Babysitting and The Craft will never be without my love.

Quote from: themodernage02good point.  nobody wouldve guessed paul loves adam sandler movies.  but ODB is right.  if you dont have balance, youll probably write some ultrapersonal arty crap that nobody will ever see (if it even got made in the first place).

yes i like being called Odb, it helps since i change my name  every few hours

modage

im just gonna stick with the picture to be safe.  :wink:

i just realized something: Old Dirty Bastard, Big Baby Jesus, Dirt McGirt.  you're not the only one who changes  his name every few hours!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Quote from: themodernage02im just gonna stick with the picture to be safe.  :wink:

i just realized something: Old Dirty Bastard, Big Baby Jesus, Dirt McGirt.  you're not the only one who changes  his name every few hours!

lets not forget about our shared love of drugs and pussy

Thecowgoooesmooo

Ebeaman, you talk about making the perfect teen movie. You also talk about how some of the teen movies nowadays and in the past are not real enough.

But heres the thing, how do you know that? What experiences are you realling drawing from? Your own personal high school experiences?

Take a movie like Kids or Boyz in the Hood. Do you think they portray teen life correctly? They most certainly do.

Your problem is, your trying to interpret something that is always different. And when its a wide spectrum that is impossible to cover or even know of, unless you have studied every high school in America. The way teens acted, dressed, talked, and what they did on the weekends, was probly much different from yours. And if you travel about 30 mins from my school into the hoods of Atlanta, it will be much different from my school. You see, its all so different. Whats to say those movies that draw from those experiences are not realistic or real enough?

You can't say, they were wrong. Your trying to make an HONEST movie. A movie that is the ultimate teen movie. I don't think 1 exists, because obviously teens are all different...

chris