Drive Ins

Started by BonBon85, April 18, 2003, 11:41:16 AM

BonBon85

I've never been to a drive in, and this saddens me. Is there anyplace where they're still prevalent? Are they fun?

mindfuck

I went to one up in Sacramento a couple times when I still lived up there and I know there are a couple down here in San Diego, but I haven't checked them out. They are pretty fun unless you plan to actually concentrate on the movie you are watching. Maximum fun can be had by going with a bunch of friends to a crappy movie and just fucking around.

MacGuffin

I only know of a couple still going and one is not too far from me:

My sister used to work at a drive-in years ago when they were still popular, and she would get my parents and myself in for free. It is there where I first saw Star Wars, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, among others when they first came out. That drive-in has since been torn down, but I still remember those experiences.

But with the advancement in modern theaters, drive-ins now are really only a fun experience if you have a group of friends and don't really care about the movie, kinda like your own Mystery Science Theater. Or if you and a significant other want to be romantic.

But it also could be a nice nostalgia trip since you have an interest in the era when drive-in thrived, Bon. Experience it while there are still a few around.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

all the drive-ins in my neck of the woods only show the same mainstream movies playing in theatres

sphinx

been to a few movies via drive in....it is quite a lot of fun, but it doesn't beat a theatre.  it's just a sort of...different experience.  that's how i'd describe it