Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Fernando

Quote from: squints on August 03, 2011, 05:43:49 AM
Gale wouldn't have put Jesse or Walt's name in the Lab Notes (or even a hint at their name that Hank could pick up on) would he? Naaaaa.....

no way, but Hank could call Walt to ask him if that looks like the real deal...and if that happens, oh man there are many possibilities...

Quote from: squints on August 03, 2011, 05:43:49 AM
What do you guys think THIS picture has to say about whats gonna go on with Jesse?

SPOILERS! damn you squints, you should know better! :P

I have no clue but it cant be good, and he looks beyond wasted.

and I just read this:

'Breaking Bad': Could Season 5 move off AMC?

The answer to the question in the headline is, probably not. But it's also not a certainty that a fifth season of the show will stay in its current home.

AMC, which airs "Breaking Bad," and Sony, which produces it, are negotiating terms for a fifth season of the Emmy-winning series, and talks have apparently become strained. So strained that according to the Los Angeles Times, Sony even approached three other cable networks about possibly airing Season 5 of the show if it should come to that. (The other channels weren't named.)

The big sticking point, the Times says, is AMC's interest in cutting the number of episodes in the fifth season, from 13 to "six to eight." That was a non-starter for the show, which has aired 13-episode seasons every year since its first.

AMC is not a stranger to prolonged negotiations over its original series. The multi-year deal that secured Seasons 5 and 6 of "Mad Men" came after months of talks that eventually pushed the show's premiere date from this summer to early 2012.

Despite the current hiccup, it's likely that "Breaking Bad" will remain on AMC for its fifth, and potentially last, season. Creator Vince Gilligan told Zap2it at the show's Season 4 premiere in late June that "If you ask me right this minute, I'd say [Season] 5 would be a good end point, but if you ask me a year from now maybe I'll change my tune."

©brad

I liked the episode but one thing I didn't get was the champagne scene. Slylar's freaking out because they're "broke" to the public eye and shouldn't be spending $300 on booze. How exactly does she justify spending $800k on a carwash? 

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©brad on August 04, 2011, 09:06:59 AM
I liked the episode but one thing I didn't get was the champagne scene. Slylar's freaking out because they're "broke" to the public eye and shouldn't be spending $300 on booze. How exactly does she justify spending $800k on a carwash?  

Uh oh... major plot hole...

I too would like an explanation...

Pozer

yeah that was dumb. Walt's gambling is apparently how they got the carwash, yet they're broke. i also dont understand how theyre going to hide all that $$ per year through a carwash business they just took over.

wasnt a very good episode all around. how terrible was the scene where Walt attempts to get Skylar to stop calling carwash guy? Cranston's acting was actually poor in this scene  :yabbse-huh:

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pozer on August 04, 2011, 11:02:46 AMhow terrible was the scene where Walt attempts to get Skylar to stop calling carwash guy? Cranston's acting was actually poor in this scene  :yabbse-huh:

Actually I have to agree with that. Also didn't quite fit his character. I was thinking, "wait, why does he suddenly not have patience?" The scene was supposed to show us how clever Skylar is and that Walt needs her cleverness, but there are much better ways to do that, and they've actually already been done.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 04, 2011, 10:34:23 AM
Quote from: ©brad on August 04, 2011, 09:06:59 AM

Uh oh... major plot hole...

I too would like an explanation...

you can add to that hank's treatment, even in this ep. marie said bills are getting bigger, btw before knowing she was back to stealing things I thought she was faking invoices or something...

so, how much is Walt earning anyway?

1st deal was 3mill for three months right? if that deal is still the same after he splits with Jesse that's 1.5m.

per day that's be 16.66g. no way the car wash produces a 3rd of that in a day.

©brad

I have to hope Gilligan and co. have thought about all this and we'll get some answers as we move forward. Another thing I was thinking was does Hank know about Walt's "gambling?" Surely he knows Walt is paying his medical bills? (Hank doesn't seem like the type of man who would let another man pay for his anything, but whatev). My half-baked prediction would be Hank learns of this gambling story and is naturally suspicious, and this in conjunction with whatever he learns about the meth lab through that lab book leads him to finding out the truth about Walt.

squints

I re-read this entire thread the other day. and so far we're all batting .000 on predicting what's going to happen in this show.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

Pretty sure Hank assumes that insurance is covering everything. Remember, he wasn't really conscious for those decisions. He could be distant enough from Marie now that he's just letting her handle it and doesn't care.

Jeremy Blackman

I found some discussion about the plot holes here:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=14093034#post14093034

Maybe the thing is that Skylar/Walt/Saul haven't thought things through properly, and not the writers. It just seems too significant right now to overlook.

©brad

Holy hell last night's episode was a doozy.

The scene with Skylar and Walt going through her script was excruciating. It's funny how this season is employing very long, dialogue-heavy scenes. I was watching Treme right before where in classic David Simon fashion every scene is 6 seconds, so maybe that's why this one felt so purposefully dragged out. It was good though. Walt's frustration and impatience was hysterical. In fact this was one of the funniest episodes they've done in a while.

Other noteworthy awesomeness:

- That cold open!
- "Where's the I slept with my boss bullet point?"
- Jesse's demise continues to be heart-breaking. That close-up on his eyes when Walt is asking him about Gale was chilling. Also, "who wants to make $100 bucks?"
- Skyler being a great accountant not translating into being a great writer. "It's a doozy, so hold on to your hats!"
- Gale's kareoke video. When was the last time you watched something so hysterical and sad at the same time.
- They seemed to clear up a lot of the questions we had last week - Hank doesn't know about Walt paying his bills (yet), and they are using the gambling story to explain where they got the $800k (duh). I'm still confused as to how that translates into being ultra-frugal and waiting on Walt's unemployment checks.
- That final scene was a great cliffhanger. We know this early in the season Jesse can't be killed, but where is Mike taking him?!

I cannot wait for next week.

Fernando

Quote from: ©brad on August 08, 2011, 07:07:27 AM
- That final scene was a great cliffhanger. We know this early in the season Jesse can't be killed, but where is Mike taking him?!

indeed, killing Jesse now seems too soon but his demise seems imminent, maybe he's the one that ends up buying the 'paddle' and disappears.

maybe mike is taking him to promises.  :yabbse-grin:

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

I assumed Mike is taking Jesse to Gus's desert office. You could see white buildings in the distance, right? I agree they're not going to kill him. My prediction: they're going to threaten his family. Jesse may not care if he lives or dies, but that would shake him up for sure, especially if they mention his little brother. If I were Gus, I would do this.

I think the plot holes are melting away. Like cbrad said, the now infamous champagne bit doesn't entirely add up, but it doesn't seem to matter, and there are ways out of it. Skylar could have been trying to maintain the facade on paper until they revealed the gambling thing. But really, that only adds an unecessary lie, because they planned to reveal the earnings anyway, right? There was presumably nothing illegal about what Walter did. Maybe this is Skylar's mistake, not the writers'.

I thought it was funny how complex the gambling story turned out to be. Seems like everyone was impressed with Walter, and it's not entirely clear that he should be feeling ashamed about it. In the balance, what harm did it cause? Isn't gambling addiction typically a problem when the gambler in question has destroyed his or her family's finances? Since when does an addicted gambler go into treatment following massive winnings that will secure his family's (and even his extended family's) future? Again, I'm sure this paradox was intended by the writers, and it's actually pretty clever.

My favorite moments from the episode:

- Gale's video. Exactly as cbrad said... what a potent combination of humor and sadness.
- The Jesse close-up.
- During the bullet-point conversation, when Walter says "I'm truly sorry for all I put this family through" (paraphrasing) with real emotion... There's the illusion that it's part of their planned theatre, but we know it's real.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 10, 2011, 02:12:42 PM
I assumed Mike is taking Jesse to Gus's desert office. You could see white buildings in the distance, right? I agree they're not going to kill him. My prediction: they're going to threaten his family. Jesse may not care if he lives or dies, but that would shake him up for sure, especially if they mention his little brother. If I were Gus, I would do this.

Good prediction. I read an interview with the guy who plays Mike and he said he spends a lot of time with Jesse this season. So wherever they're heading, they might be there for a while.

Does anyone know where to find scripts of any Breaking Bad episodes? I've been searching online and haven't had any luck. TV scripts seem to be tougher to find online than screenplays...