NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Stefen

Quote from: cinemanarchist on December 08, 2008, 10:39:39 AM
Quote from: Stefen on December 08, 2008, 10:14:36 AM
Fallout 3 is pretty much the greatest game I have ever played in my life. I'm 30 hours in, just got to the Underworld and it feels like I haven't even scratched the surface.

The leveling is absolutely amazing and unlike anything I've ever done. I made some mistakes early on and was going for across the board type leveling when I should have just been focusing on a few key skills. I picked some dumb perks that I wish I hadn't, but now I'm on the right track.

It's the greatest game of all-time.

I've been tempted to get this game for a while now but I haven't played any of the other Fallout's and truth be told I tend to get bored with RPGs after a few hours. Is there any chance I'll dig this game?

I'd never played any of the Fallout games either and I love it. I'm a pretty big RPG'er, but it's not really like an RPG. It's more of a shooter with RPG elements. The leveling up is like an RPG, but the combat is like a shooter. It's hard to explain. It's really open ended. There is no set path. It's like GTA in that sense. You can do whatever you want.

I highly recommend it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

i rented it a week ago and got obsessed after a couple hours of play. i've tracked down a used copy/am picking up tomorrow even though i'm really supposed to be doing other, end of semester things.. i'd say it's more an rpg than a shooter. but you can use your gun to make rpg decisions.. it's a character builder. and the way you build your character (and there are a LOT of decisions to be made) changes the way the immense world reacts to you. i love being able to kill ANYONE just for being a little annoying. but the first time through i'm trying to stay as good as possible. next time i'm going pure evil.

RegularKarate

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 25, 2007, 05:26:57 PM
Now I have to wait a few months until I can get a DS, but I plan on it eventually.

24 months to be exact.

After just having the DS too low on my electronics-to-buy list to ever think about getting it, the wife surprised me this Christmas.  Bang... have a DS now.

loving it so far (though the crummy wi-fi issues are annoying), but only have 2 games.  Brain Age and Professor Layton and The Curious Village.  I'm going through the last 20 pages to see what people like, but what would you all recomend? 

What do you think about the following?:

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (bejeweled meets RPG)
Super Mario 64 DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Lunar Knights Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Sonic Rush
Contra 4
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Kirby: Canvas Curse
WarioWare: Touched!
Elite Beat Agents The World Ends with You
Final Fantasy IV Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
New Super Mario Bros.Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

picolas

i think elite beat agents is essential. i've heard chrono trigger is great so i'm getting that next but i've never played the original.

Stefen

The original Chrono Trigger is awesome. One of the first games that made me hole up in my room grinding and leveling up. Good times. I hear the remake is even better. I'm actually thinking about getting a DS just for that.

I'm still playing Fallout 3. I've put in close to 100 hours and I still haven't gotten tired of it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

These fuckers at GameStop really know how to make money. I just took 6 games and they offered me a total of $18.50 for ALL OF THEM COMBINED. On the other hand, one USED Madden 09 costs $54.99 four months after its release.

Stefen

Sell that shit on Craigslist for $10-$15 a piece. More depending on the games.

I thought you were a business man or something?

Kal

Quote from: Stefen on December 29, 2008, 05:56:24 PM
Sell that shit on Craigslist for $10-$15 a piece. More depending on the games.

I thought you were a business man or something?

I know dude, but I'm in the middle of moving. My entire house is on sale already and I'm focusing my attention a bit more on big stuff. I was hoping to get rid of these quickly when I went to get Madden.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Kal

HOLY SHIT. I started playing GTA 4 again and its so much fun. I had it shelved for months. And I just went to the comedy club and saw Ricky Gervais? Fuck. These guys really did an impressive and amazing game here.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 29, 2008, 02:10:10 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on January 25, 2007, 05:26:57 PM
Now I have to wait a few months until I can get a DS, but I plan on it eventually.

24 months to be exact.

After just having the DS too low on my electronics-to-buy list to ever think about getting it, the wife surprised me this Christmas.  Bang... have a DS now.

loving it so far (though the crummy wi-fi issues are annoying), but only have 2 games.  Brain Age and Professor Layton and The Curious Village.  I'm going through the last 20 pages to see what people like, but what would you all recomend? 

What do you think about the following?:

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (bejeweled meets RPG)
Super Mario 64 DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Lunar Knights Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Sonic Rush
Contra 4
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Kirby: Canvas Curse
WarioWare: Touched!
Elite Beat Agents The World Ends with You
Final Fantasy IV Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
New Super Mario Bros.Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
I would say these are essential. But you should seriously also consider getting the Advance Wars games if you like strategy. They're mega-addictive. And the Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice games if you like reading. But since you were considering Hotel Dusk, which plays almost exactly the same except with a little more interaction, I figured you'd be cool with it. They have some of the best writing I've seen in games. Have fun with it.

RegularKarate

Thanks for the recs... I bought Elite Beat Agents and The World Ends with You.

I have to admit, I don't love Elite Beat Agents.  It has elements I like, but unless I just haven't given it long enough, it's just a little boring for me.  The songs almost all stink and there isn't that much to do.

I have only played a little of The World Ends w/ you, but I think maybe it's a little too young for me.  The story is really soft and there's a little too much dialog and I don't really like the control.

I'll probably get New Super Mario next since I'm itching for some button-action.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I've managed to not play a PS3 for a while.  I knew I couldn't afford one, so why bother tempting myself with one, right? 

Then Reinhold came over to visit, brings his PS3 and after playing a lot of MGS4 I'm still able to keep it at a distance in my mind and wait till it's cheaper.  I just visited a friend tonight where I played a couple hours of Fallout 3.  I really wish it would've been a disappointment so I could've lived with that.

Where it is not necessarily worthy of being Fallout 3, in terms that it is nothing like 1 or 2, that in no way falters the quality of this game.  Fallout 3 is the second to last straw on the camel's back.  Resident Evil 5 will be an anvil on the camel's back.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

picolas

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 20, 2009, 02:29:28 PM
I have to admit, I don't love Elite Beat Agents.  It has elements I like, but unless I just haven't given it long enough, it's just a little boring for me.  The songs almost all stink and there isn't that much to do.
try playing on medium difficulty to start. i never played on easy. the songs are incredibly junky but that's part of the charm to me. they fit into that whole footloose-esque cheesy song montage logic/mentality. only songs like that combined with dance montages could solve such problems.

Fernando

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 20, 2009, 02:29:28 PM
I'll probably get New Super Mario next since I'm itching for some button-action.

If you like Mario that's a no brainer, also get Mario 64, if you play first NSM then 64 will feel a little different because you can move in all directions there, but both are worth it.

Mario Cart is great too, btw, I can't unlocked 7th and 8th tracks (in 150cc), even thou I have finished #1 which is the way to unlock the next track, the game even pop up a 'congrats now you have a seventh track', but when I tried to play in it, the damn thing still was locked, anyone knows why that happened? could it be unlockable?? FWIW in 50cc all tracks are unlocked, but that is way too slow...