NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

cinemanarchist

The avatar says it all. Anyone else playing Spore? It's far from being perfect but jeebus is it addictive.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

GodDamnImDaMan

Quote from: cinemanarchist on September 09, 2008, 02:17:33 PM
The avatar says it all. Anyone else playing Spore? It's far from being perfect but jeebus is it addictive.

This is my fantasy game.
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

cinemanarchist

I assume you guys are all playing Fallout 3 but right now LittleBigPlanet is blowing my mind! This is the most fun I've had playing a game since Mario Galaxy but this is so much more polished and the online shit still isn't even working yet so when they get their act together on that things are just going to get better and better. This is one of those games that reminds me why I play video games...because inside I'm still 12 years old.

Stefen

I'm actually thinking about getting a PS3 for LBP. Can't afford it now, though. Fucking economy.

I haven't even started Fallout 3 yet. That's a game that's going to take a couple months. Right now I'm working on Fable II. It started slow, but it's picked up alot.

Finished the Force Unleashed a week ago. Most frustrating game ever.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on October 29, 2008, 11:12:37 PM
I'm actually thinking about getting a PS3 for LBP. Can't afford it now, though. Fucking economy.

I haven't even started Fallout 3 yet. That's a game that's going to take a couple months. Right now I'm working on Fable II. It started slow, but it's picked up alot.

Finished the Force Unleashed a week ago. Most frustrating game ever.

I was going to pick up Fable II but got MGS4 instead. I don't even remember the last game I beat and that is the worst part of being in a relationship. Single-life and achievement points, Daddy's home.

Pas

Fallout 3 is ''da bomb'' (pun !)

Oblivion with guns is pretty true, but it's better than Oblivion.

Gameplay is perfect, the fighting system is fun and the mechanics are great. It's actually FUN to repair shit and hack computers.

On the down side...

Forget the dry humor of the two classics tho, we are in ''serious'' territory here. Super Mutants are actually monsters whereas in Fallout 1-2 they were kind of Shrek-looking. Dialogue is way way waaaay below Fallout 1-2 standard. Way.

I still think it's a great great game.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

last days of gerry the elephant

Little Big Planet people... the physics on that baby is unbeatable.

Kal

It too me way to long to discover and play ROCK BAND... fuck its awesome

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pas Rap on October 30, 2008, 04:18:07 PM

Gameplay is perfect, the fighting system is fun and the mechanics are great. It's actually FUN to repair shit and hack computers.

On the down side...

Forget the dry humor of the two classics tho, we are in ''serious'' territory here. Super Mutants are actually monsters whereas in Fallout 1-2 they were kind of Shrek-looking. Dialogue is way way waaaay below Fallout 1-2 standard. Way.

From what I gather from this review (and other reviews from die-hard Fallout fans), Fallout 3 is another one of the non-canon Fallout games.  Rather, Fallout and Fallout 2 were the only ones in the original vein (even then, Fallout 2 had a little more outside references than necessary, but not too distracting).

In every Fallout game since 2, the storyline and dialogue take second place and pick up the franchise that's set in a Mad Max nuclear apocalypse world.  If the fighting system is fun and fair and the dry humor and dialogue have tanked, then for my money, it's not even a Fallout sequel.  Maybe a Tactics sequel, or Brotherhood of Steel.

Still, I haven't even played F3, and soon I will.  Regardless of it continuing the Fallout tradition, I love Oblivion, and this falls into that vein.  There's no question that it looks badass.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

Quote from: Walrus on October 31, 2008, 04:01:54 PM
Quote from: Pas Rap on October 30, 2008, 04:18:07 PM

On the down side...

From what I gather from this review (and other reviews from die-hard Fallout fans), Fallout 3 is another one of the non-canon Fallout games.  Rather, Fallout and Fallout 2 were the only ones in the original vein (even then, Fallout 2 had a little more outside references than necessary, but not too distracting).

In every Fallout game since 2, the storyline and dialogue take second place and pick up the franchise that's set in a Mad Max nuclear apocalypse world.  If the fighting system is fun and fair and the dry humor and dialogue have tanked, then for my money, it's not even a Fallout sequel.  Maybe a Tactics sequel, or Brotherhood of Steel.

Still, I haven't even played F3, and soon I will.  Regardless of it continuing the Fallout tradition, I love Oblivion, and this falls into that vein.  There's no question that it looks badass.

With about 10 hours more of playtime...

I have played so far 20+ hours and still have not even looked at the main quest. There's a survival-horror vibe to the game since ammo is a rarity. You're always looking for the economic kill.

I've chosen to play a very smart and charismatic repairman. It's very fun to collect parts to create weapons and buy new schematics. Also is very fun to have something to do with the loot other than sell it : create and repair stuff with it. Hacking computers is fucking hard and tedious so I regret choosing science over lockpicking...

I'm a bit scared for one thing : I'm at level 7 now and max is 20. I hope I don't reach the level cap midgame...

As for dialogue, still very letdown. The worst is when the game tries to be funny ... it's just a mood breaker because at most times you're pretty scared for your life.

I've chosen the ''good'' way but playing an evil character looks possible and rewarding, you get to make that choice very early on when you are approached by a shady man to do something very evil. Your choice will probably dictate your game.

Anyway, good game !!! I haven't been to work in 3 days

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Oddly enough, your elaboration into game mechanics just revitalized my hope for this game.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Chest Rockwell

I'll probably never play Fallout 3 (at least, not for several more years), but what I've seen of it looks blah. Perhaps I'm just too close to the originals. Number 2 was my first computer game ever.

Anyone played any Super Mario Kart? This game is so much more difficult that any of the later games that I've played (which doesn't include the GBA version). Rainbow Road has no guard rails and whomps that shock you if you touch them.

Pas

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on November 04, 2008, 09:51:40 PM
I'll probably never play Fallout 3 (at least, not for several more years), but what I've seen of it looks blah. Perhaps I'm just too close to the originals. Number 2 was my first computer game ever.

Anyone played any Super Mario Kart? This game is so much more difficult that any of the later games that I've played (which doesn't include the GBA version). Rainbow Road has no guard rails and whomps that shock you if you touch them.

It's true that Fallout 3 has less karts than Super Mario Kart.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Pas Rap on November 05, 2008, 05:57:16 PM
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on November 04, 2008, 09:51:40 PM

It's true that Fallout 3 has less karts than Super Mario Kart.
Well I can't help it if I have no access to the sweet games coming out these days.

After you're done with FO3 you should really check out the first two. Best games ever. Combat's really slow and methodical, but roleplaying is almost untouched by any other game. What you mentioned about dialogue was something I noticed from the few gameplay vids I watched, and it's a shame, considering how great the writing is in the first two.