PTA Interview - The Times

Started by Redlum, February 02, 2003, 07:34:14 AM

Victor

Punch Drunk Love is really  It’s like when you look at a kitten or a puppy and you think: I wanna kick the shit out of that little thing, it’s so damn cute!”  

does anyone else think that is the best of the deleted material from the script, when barry talks about that?
are you gonna eat with us too?

Jon

Quote from: fulty
Quote from: redlumPunch Drunk Love is really  It's like when you look at a kitten or a puppy and you think: I wanna kick the shit out of that little thing, it's so damn cute!"  quote]

:shock:

That's actually what it says in the original script, if you have it, during the "I wanna eat your eye balls" scene.

Tommy Both

Quote from: Lesterdoes anyone else think that is the best of the deleted material from the script, when barry talks about that?

my favorite line from the script - that didn't make it on screen -
"does Jack like to Jack-off?"

¡¡fucking Hilarious..!!  :twisted:

The Silver Bullet

QuoteI feel like sometimes it's false modesty.

False modesty is a beautiful thing.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

sickfins

molse fadesty;; only what people persee, not see
that's what's important.  punch punch punch

"he wears tan shoes with pink shoelaces (a polka dot vest)"

KingBlackDeath

That smashing the puppy thing is definitely the best thing that was deleted. When I saw the scene it didnt do much for me, but with the reference to the puppy I would have loved it. I always get that feeling too.
and I could have sworn that she did say does jack like to jack off.
I remember watching it and not liking that line.

also, he said Magnolia was from the gut too in the intro to the magnolia script. but I know what he means, in that PDL was more him just flowing and not keeping everything tight and not relying too much on influences (although he said Tati was a major influence)
Man, this guy is like the Bible!
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

KingBlackDeath

too, I've thought about the whole Altman and other older directors have made movies that were poorly received compared to PTA doing the same. and it seems like 30 years ago if you made a movie that didnt do well the studio would still support you and it would have a few years in the theatre, whereas today if it doesn't make half of it's budget back in the first week it's immediately considered a failure and you have to bow down to suits.
and what's with Limited releases or "build-up" releases? I still cant get over how stupid that shit is.

And how the HELL did PDL cost $25 million? Magnolia cost $37 million and it's got a million trillion things in it. PDL has what?; A warehouse, two car wrecks and a trip to Hawaii. I do like it alot though.
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

fulty

Quote from: BigBadDeathAnd how the HELL did PDL cost $25 million?
1- on phone sex line all night long.
2- 50 takes before getting "smash bathroom to bits" right.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

©brad

I remember reading an article on scorsese and he was making fun of other directors who do insane amounts of takes. Now I've never made a film before, but it seems to me that if a director has to do 50 takes of a certain part either the actors don't know their lines and are struggling/fucking up OR the director doesn't know what he/she wants. It's pretty fucking self-indulgent and a waste of money if you ask me.

fulty

Quote from: cbrad4dif a director has to do 50 takes.
Sorry Bradford, I was only joking.
That was just my lame attempt to be like David Letterman.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Cecil

Quote from: cbrad4dIt's pretty fucking self-indulgent and a waste of money if you ask me.

except if youre kubrick.

©brad

yeah, but ive read shit on kubrick and one reason he said he does a lot of takes is because the actors dont know their shit, and it takes them to like take 20 until they finally know the lines. then they're not struggling to remember them and can try out new stuff. that makes sense i guess.

bonanzataz

No. I watched to Kubrick DVD documentary where Sydney Pollack was talking about shooting his scenes in Eyes Wide Shut. How Kubrick wanted the actors to try out every possibility of the scene and get the most out of it. Kubrick I think did it for the actors. Look at how freaked out Shelley Duvall gets at Kubrick while filming the Shining in the documentary then look at the freaked out performance she gives. She looks so tired and crazed and it all works. A director should find a method that works for him/her and stick to it. Fuck whether you're being self-indulgent or not, if you can get away with it and you prefer working that way, go for it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

jmj

Quote from: bonanzatazA director should find a method that works for him/her and stick to it. Fuck whether you're being self-indulgent or not, if you can get away with it and you prefer working that way, go for it.

Ahhman brother bonanzataz.  I'm down for whatever makes the film work.  One take or 50 takes...fuck it, whatever makes the scene work.

BTW....
Quote from: cbrad4dKill them, kill all the LoTR hates on the board.
But they're our friends.
No, they're not. There endless inane comments are driving us mad.
Yes....yes, you're right.
Kill them in their sleep...
fookin' brilliant man
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cbrad4dKill them, kill all the LoTR hates haters on the board.
But they're our friends.
No, they're not. There Their endless inane comments are driving us mad.
Yes....yes, you're right.
Kill them in their sleep...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks