Two Brothers

Started by SoNowThen, April 03, 2004, 08:13:01 PM

SoNowThen

So, um, anybody hear anything about this? Normally this kind of movie, if it involved people, would make me puke. But for some reason, animals melt my coal black heart. Plus, in the wild kingdom, it's pretty hard to beat tigers for coolness.

Also, the guy who did this did The Bear, which I remember snippets of from when I was a kid. I don't think it sucked too badly...

Anyway, here's a trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/two_brothers/
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Duderino

i dunno about this one, even though i love Guy Pearce, it just doesnt really appeal to me.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ghostboy

Those tigers are adorable -- the movie only looks okay, but if I see it I know it'll make me want to go out and get another cat.

The Bear was quite good, if I remember correctly. The ending is indelible in my mind -- the bear standing on that cliff, facing down the hunter -- beautiful stuff. Although I haven't seen it since I was about ten.

I guess this is good thread to bring up the longstanding fact that animals dying in movies will always be more tragic than anything that could happen to a human.

SoNowThen

Yep. When I saw Turner And Hooch in the theatre, when Hooch died I fucking threw a fit. My parents had to spank me to get me to calm down. Needless to say, I can't really watch dogs dying in movies. Tigers would be bad also...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThenNeedless to say, I can't really watch dogs dying in movies. quote]

What about All Dogs go to Heaven?  That tore me up when I saw it a long, long time ago.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

El Duderino

Quote from: SHAFTR
What about All Dogs go to Heaven?  That tore me up when I saw it a long, long time ago.

i remember that, i wept like the small child i was. i remember the bad guy bulldog was named Carface. perfect.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

I'm (somewhat of) a humble man, I don't need much in this life. To be filthy rich isn't important to me. However, if I was able to get the money together for care/feeding/shelter/trainers, I would LOVE to have a pet tiger.

I saw this National Geographic article once, about this wealthy Russian guy, and he had raised this special tiger cub (very few left in the world, but I don't think it was the white tiger) sorta as his pet, sorta just to make sure it was saved. Anyway, he loved the thing like crazy, and it had a pretty strong bond with him, and they'd take some time every month to just goof around and play and wrestle. This guy had to get all suited up in body armour and stuff so the tiger wouldn't break his ribs, and then they'd have at it. The magazine had the greatest picture ever, of this guy with a huge grin on his face, and the tiger jumping in the air (just like Tigger) with its legs straight out, pounding into him!

godardian

Jean-Jacques Annaud also directed The Lover, which it would've been hard to make a bad film out of (I loooooove Marguerite Duras, who is a classically snippy French contrarian with every bone in her body)... I think he's considered a sort of second-rate and/or sellout French filmmaker (by the French, at least). I don't find his movies terrible, but they're not usually great, either. I very vaguely remember The Bear... based on Faulkner, wasn't it?

EDIT: Looked it up- based on a 1916 novel by someone named Curwood, not Faulkner. I think Faulkner wrote a story called "The Bear" or something, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

Quote from: godardianI think he's considered a sort of second-rate and/or sellout French filmmaker .

As proved in the year 1997, when 'Seven Years In Tibet' was bitch-slapped by 'Kundun' (quality-wise, at least).