David Mamet's Spartan

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2004, 10:56:38 AM

MacGuffin

Trailers:

Release Date: March 12th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Val Kilmer (Scott), Derek Luke (Anton), William H. Macy (Stoddard), Kristen Bell, Alexandra Kerry, Johnny Messner (Agent Grace), Tia Texada.

Director: David Mamet (The Spanish Prisoner, State and Main, Heist, House of Games, The Winslow Boy)

Screenwriter: David Mamet (The Untouchables, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Spanish Prisoner, State and Main, Heist)

Premise: A "lone wolf" U.S. government secret agent, Scott (Kilmer), is assigned the task of rescuing the kidnapped daughter (Bell) of the president, only to discover along the way a larger, more sinister plot with origins within the White House itself... (Macy plays the right-hand man of Burch, the head of the Secret Service team investigating the disappearance of the daughter).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

well, at least his no-talent fucking hack wife isn't in this one... maybe it will be okay...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: MacGuffinphilePremise: A "lone wolf" U.S. government secret agent, Scott (Kilmer), is assigned the task of rescuing the kidnapped daughter (Bell) of the president, only to discover along the way a larger, more sinister plot with origins within the White House itself... (Macy plays the right-hand man of Burch, the head of the Secret Service team investigating the disappearance of the daughter).
Sounds like a rip-off of the clearly-superior "24."

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenwell, at least his no-talent fucking hack wife isn't in this one...
:shock: did she rape u or sumthin?  :shock:

without watching the trailer/tool-of-the-devil, i just know this will continue to prove KILMER SUCKS THE BIG ONE.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

I just find her to be the worst actress I think I've ever had the displeasure of seeing/hearing. She basically ruined Spanish Prisoner and State And Main for me (though, that's not completely true, because I thought the camerawork was so very limp, as well).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SoNowThenwell, at least his no-talent fucking hack wife isn't in this one... maybe it will be okay...

who 's his "ball 'n chain"....???

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwho 's his "ball 'n chain"....???

Rebecca Pidgeon:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

ugh

I'd rather look at the upper left banner...

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

aghh!!!! turning to stone...

mac, please stop!

godardian

Pidgeon, little-known as she is, is one of the most divisive forces in cinema today.  :)

I like 'er. She seems to me an authentically Mametian actor, which is of course another divisive thing... but her performances, odd as they are, are nothing different from Lindsay Crouse's in House of Games or any other actor who does "right" by Mamet. She's unfairly singled out because she's married to him- that's the only possible explanation for the bloodlust surrounding her. Just like Sofia Coppola was so unfairly singled out for being the daughter of the director.

SoNowThen, I place a curse on you: You are doomed to be haunted, like Scrooge, by the world's truly ugliest women for the rest of your life as punishment for overreacting negatively to women who will never be in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue but are completely fine and even above average-looking. This ain't the first time...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Her extreme ugliness could be overlooked if she had a shred of talent.

Her supporters always say this: she's the quinessential Mamet actor. What the fuck does that mean? Does nobody notice that she's the only actor in any of his movies to always sound fake and retarded, as if she's reading off cue cards? She BUTCHERS his words. Golden words. Beautiful, perfect words. I place a curse on her. May she develop tongue cancer, and so have to get it lopped off...

cowboykurtis

this trailer isnt looking too hot.
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenHer extreme ugliness .

Oh, pssshtt... when you display such a histrionic lack of perspective, nobody's going to trust your capacities for judgment... I submit that it's you and you alone finding her "extremely ugly."

Besides, who gives a shit? She's not playing beauty queens. I don't think she's a great actor, but I think her performances in his films are the ultimate, purest manifestation of Mamet's creative ideas. That's fairly overrated, too, though. I like Mamet, think he's interesting, but he's over-revered.

Mamet's words are hardly golden and beautiful... if you read his writing, you realize how very utilitarian he intends his words and his actors to be, very flat and artificial in a way that strikes people used to more dramatic readings as flat or strange or contrived. It doesn't strike me as a coincidence that he's calling a film Spartan. I'm surprised he doesn't follow Bresson in refusing to refer to them as "actors," but rather as "models."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.