Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

jenkins

the interviewer is, as he says, mick garris. garris made the good version of the shining and produced masters of horror, which had everyone here but cronenberg, and somewhere in the masters of horror discs this video is available btw

Reel

I remember watching this on the Videodrome criterion. What a buncha creeps

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

are you confused right now

Mel

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 31, 2014, 02:45:20 PM
garris made the good version of the shining

Guess that was unintentional, but this is how I read it for the first time too (implication of those specific words): "the other version was bad" and that is like asking for lynching.

btw. One of the reasons why I find those interviews so interesting: "An American Werewolf in London", "The Thing", "Videodrome" are one of the finest examples, when it comes to conventional special effects. In 1982 "Tron" was also released, which showed a bit of what would come.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

jenkins

thought it was well-known that garris and king made their shining bc they thought kubrick fucked up, and the results were so obvious that it seems more incredible to me that anyone thought anyone preferred the garris version. guessing a lack of garris movies seen

polkablues

I've seen a crap-ton of Mick Garris. It just wasn't clear that you were being ironic, since Mick Garris' work is universally shitty. So I assumed you were either trolling for reactions, or horribly mistaken about the difference between good and shit.

jenkins

hi i'm jenkins, nice to meet you. this place seems depressing

polkablues

Meh, I've seen depressinger.

Mel

I'm in middle of watching another collection, but there is one film I want to bring right now.

Frailty

This film is interesting for few reasons. It is told in similar manner to "True Detective" - McConaughey is interrogated here to. Moreover it brings new perspective to his acceptance speech for Academy Award, mainly his relation with god.

Overall I liked film a lot, even though it relies on plot twists to great extend. It had guts to go full distance and didn't pull off from what it is: horror film. Those two young actors were great, without them film would collapse. There isn't too much gore, yet atmosphere is heavy and creepy all the time. I can recommend it without hesitation.

Reel

Such a fucking good movie and the only thing i gave mcconaughey credit for 4 YEARS

SailorOfTheSeas

Top whatever BEST and SCARIEST horror films that you've seen?

I really want to watch something proper good and scary tonight...what do you lot recommend?

My favourites and the most effective i've seen that i can think of off the top of my head are The Orphanage, The Shining, Blair Witch, The Ring, Alien. What do you recommend that is both great and scary?

Mel

Quote from: SailorOfTheSeas on June 13, 2014, 11:52:03 AM
I really want to watch something proper good and scary tonight...what do you lot recommend?

It is hard to not recommend something not obscure without knowing how familiar are you with genre. Still will try to counter-match some of your picks:

• The Orphanage - small people, so maybe "The Brood"? Haunted house - "The Changeling"?
  • The Shining - there is nothing similar on that level I guess. "Suspiria" has some interesting art design - architecture, weird interiors etc. Man going insane angle - "Jacob's Ladder"?
  • Blair Witch - found footage, "REC" then? "Videodrome" is quasi-found footage ;)
  • The Ring - things you shouldn't touch - "Hellraiser" or visit - "1408"?
  • Alien - sci-fi survival horror, "The Thing". Other apocalyptic films with aliens: "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1978 version).

jenkins

Quote from: Mel on June 13, 2014, 01:40:09 PM
Quote from: SailorOfTheSeas on June 13, 2014, 11:52:03 AM

It is hard to not recommend something not obscure without knowing how familiar are you with genre. Still will try to counter-match some of your picks:

• The Orphanage - small people, so maybe "The Brood"? Haunted house - "The Changeling"?
  • The Shining - there is nothing similar on that level I guess. "Suspiria" has some interesting art design - architecture, weird interiors etc. Man going insane angle - "Jacob's Ladder"?
  • Blair Witch - found footage, "REC" then? "Videodrome" is quasi-found footage ;)
  • The Ring - things you shouldn't touch - "Hellraiser" or visit - "1408"?
  • Alien - sci-fi survival horror, "The Thing". Other apocalyptic films with aliens: "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1978 version).
i think mel's list is great. i'd like to doubledown on jacon's ladder, and

videodrome is a gateway drug to the horror movies of cronenberg

you could go from there to dead ringers, then head back to his beginning to see his impressive spectrum of horror movies, then head forward from dead ringers to see how strangely elastic he's become

polkablues

Mel's list is great. You really can't go wrong there.

Some more, with a heavy emphasis on the unsettling:

Martyrs, Grave Encounters, Kill List, Lake Mungo, Triangle, Session 9, Inside