Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Stefen

Quote from: I Love a Magician on February 15, 2011, 04:32:03 PM
big fuckin babies can't sit through a 30 second commercial before a 2 hour movie

I wouldn't mind commercials on a free service. Makes sense. But a pay service? No way, man.

I doubt Criterion would allow Hulu to use commercials on their titles. It would severely hurt their integrity.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: Stefen on February 15, 2011, 04:34:04 PM
big fuckin babies can't sit through a 30 second commercial before a 2 hour movie
I wouldn't mind commercials on a free service. Makes sense. But a pay service? No way, man.

Exactly.  If I am going to pay, I'd rather pay MORE for a Hulu Plus Premium and not have to watch commercials.  Netflix doesn't have commercials, why should I have to watch them someplace else?

I doubt Criterion would allow Hulu to use commercials on their titles. It would severely hurt their integrity.

The commercials are all before the movie so there are no interruptions.  Still, that's not the case with Hulu's other selections.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

I get it.

Quote from: HuluFor Criterion, thanks to our advertising partners, Hulu Plus subscribers will be able to watch the Criterion Collection free of interruption. (Any ads will play up front.)

Quote from: NetflixWe don't play commercials.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

So can someone who pays the monthly Hulu Plus fee tell me what makes it better than Netflix?

I mean, if you had to pick one or the other. Is streaming Criterion the only benefit?

Right now with Netflix I can stream Enter the Void, Dogtooth and many other films that people like us care about, but I was also just sent the Criterion BD edition of Ride with the Devil.

I was always under the impression that Hulu was just a way to catch episodes of TMZ and How I Met Your Mother. It just seems like a stupid marriage.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

They're different.  Hulu is more TV focused and Netflix is more movie focused.  There's crossover in both and both are trying to make the crossover area wider.  Competition can only be a good thing.

Hulu plus is cheap... If my roomate didn't really want cable, I'd cut the cord now.

Stefen

Who would pay a subscription service to watch TV? Any TV show is easily accessible through torrents and downloads and easily streamable from your PC to your television via an Xbox, PS3 or Roku player. I get home from work late on Thursday nights and queue up my Thursday night television (Jersey Shore, Friday Night Lights and the NBC lineup) and it's all ready to go by the time I'm done showering and cooking something to eat.

Still, it's going to be really funny when some idiot gets finished watching the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory and see's a Criterion film for the first time. "Holy shit, that episode was really funny. What else does Hulu have? haha, look a that movie! FAT GIRL! HOLY SHIT THAT SOUNDS HILARIOUS! I heard it's like Big Mommas House but funnier than fuck! FUCK YEA PUT IT THE FUCK ON!"

I Love a Magician

have you ever been to a theater

Reel

Quote from: Stefen on February 15, 2011, 06:14:38 PM
"Holy shit, that episode was really funny. What else does Hulu have? haha, look a that movie! FAT GIRL! HOLY SHIT THAT SOUNDS HILARIOUS! I heard it's like Big Mommas House but funnier than fuck! FUCK YEA PUT IT THE FUCK ON!"

hahahahahahahaha!

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on February 15, 2011, 06:14:38 PM
Who would pay a subscription service to watch TV? Any TV show is easily accessible through torrents and downloads and easily streamable from your PC to your television

Torrents and hooking your PC up to your TV every time you want to watch TV are a pain in the ass compared to pushing two buttons.  Oh, and it's legal.

The Perineum Falcon

The point here is that after December of this year, to my understanding, Criterion will only stream thru Hulu, and will be unavailable to Netflix subscribers (tho I assume you can still get the physical discs). So, yeah, I'll probably pay for Hulu Plus.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

i don't get netflix or hulu plus in australia.

i'd pay for either.

so yeah..

big fuckin babies
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

Quote from: P on February 16, 2011, 06:59:25 PM
i don't get netflix or hulu plus in australia.

i'd pay for either.

so yeah..

big fuckin babies

ya netflix sucks in Canada due to licencing rights; we get fuck all for movies.
the one last hit that spent you...

modage

Ravi

Stefen

They're having a 50% off sale here soon today in honor of them reaching 50K facebook fans. It's only going to last 50,000 seconds.