What Did You Think Of Matrix Revolutions?

Started by Cathartic Cleansing, October 15, 2003, 01:11:30 PM

picolas

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: picolas- how did he touch the source?

He touched The Source when he stopped the Sentinals.
yeah. i read that explanation earlier in the thread. but this only explains when he touched the source. not how. Neo chose not to return to the source in Reloaded by going through the Trinity door, so how could he have possibly had it both ways?

Quote from: picolas- why would the source give a One the power to disable machines? is there a purpose for this power? i mean... did the machines actually intend him to use it if he had touched the source the right way?

The Source is the machine mainframe. That's why programs are supposed to return there for deletion.
so what he really gets is the ability to return machines to the source?

Quote from: MacGuffinIt's believed Neo has some sort of "wireless connection" to The Source. The Oracle said "the One's powers continue outside of the Matrix, it happened when you touched the Source."
okay. so does this mean the matrix has imprinted something into his brain that gives him the wireless connection/vision? when did it do this? see: my first question.

Quote from: MacGuffinAnd after all that, my head is has just:

me tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo//!0100102@#!!@#$R.

©brad

um, no one has answered my question. what am i, a fucking mirage?  :(

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradis the architect that big black thing at the end? (the voice of which is extremely chilling) and when he's in the matrix he uses the shell of that old dude?

No.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

well then who, or what is it? the machine world leader? if so, is he the main boss of the machines or is the architect?

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradwell then who, or what is it? the machine world leader? if so, is he the main boss of the machines or is the architect?

Deus ex Machina - translated means "God of the Machines".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: ©bradwell then who, or what is it? the machine world leader? if so, is he the main boss of the machines or is the architect?

Deus ex Machina - translated means "God of the Machines".

oooooookay, so what relation does this deus ex machina have to the architect? that's what i'm asking.

picolas

another translation is "the god machine."

this is sort of funny because dues ex machina isn't just a name, it's a storytelling device typically used in greek tragedies. the set-up is that everybody dies and nothing can be done to save anything anymore, and then at the very end of the play Zeus comes down and magically solves everything.

RegularKarate

Right, which is funny because I don't think the Wachowski's have it all figured out and kind of rely on D.E.M.  Which is only a little sad and not very surprising.

I've seen the movie for a second time and while I figured I would like it more, I actually decided that not only am I not going to buy the third one on DVD, I'm going to forget about buying the second as well.

It's sad really...

SHAFTR

Quote from: RegularKarateRight, which is funny because I don't think the Wachowski's have it all figured out and kind of rely on D.E.M.  Which is only a little sad and not very surprising.

I've seen the movie for a second time and while I figured I would like it more, I actually decided that not only am I not going to buy the third one on DVD, I'm going to forget about buying the second as well.

It's sad really...

Anyone want my Reloaded disc?  I want to just imagine there was only The Matrix and the trilogy never existed.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

I haven't seen the film yet; I probably will with my brothers over Thanksgiving break.  I've been spoiled, though, a bit already, so I just wanted to interject about the whole Deus ex Machina thing because it strikes me just how much this is used and someone will always call it a stroke of genius.  If anyone's a video game player here, they may be familiar with Xenogears, where SPOILER Deus ex Machina is taken a bit too literally, and is the final boss of the game.  It's pretty comical, looking back on that one now.  Anyway, I think this is proof positive, just judging from what I have heard, that the Wachowski brothers wrote a check that their asses simply couldn't cash.  Like SHAFTR, I want to just remember the Matrix.  The original itself wasn't an amazing masterpiece of a movie, but it was brilliant enough to be remembered in the beginning for introducing ideas that hadn't necessarily been addressed in that way before.  However, thinking of great ideas isn't enough.  And while the original was a truly philosophical film with the right balance of action (though it did go a bit overboard for me, and kind of got dull in the end), the others are just too much action, and pseudophilosophy which doesn't mean anything, and amounts to just words.  Essentially, the Wachowskis don't know what they're talking about, and it shows.  I'm going from Reloaded here, but if that is any indication, it will probably be more of the same with Revolutions.  Of course, I reserve my final judgment until Thanksgiving.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI haven't seen the film yet
And you wrote this much about something you haven't seen?  Don't knock it till you try it.  
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaEssentially, the Wachowskis don't know what they're talking about, and it shows.
And you know this... how?  I scratch my head at how everyone can hold the first movie in such high regard and slam the sequels.

Since a lot of people seem to think the whole thing's a bust (and I see now, those who haven't seen it :roll: ), I pose this question:

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE WANTED INSTEAD?  And don't say 'no corny dialogue,' 'less philosophy,' and the typical complaints (which by the way, I must point out-- if those are your gripes, rewatch M1, they're all there too).  I'm talking story/scenes/themes etc.  If this whole series has gone so wrong, where could it have gone right?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE WANTED INSTEAD?

Nothing at all.  The last 2 movies had no reason to exist.  I didn't have any questions after the original...all Reloaded did was pose a bunch of questions that it tried to answer in Revolutions.  These 2 movies had no reason to exist except to make more money.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI haven't seen the film yet
And you wrote this much about something you haven't seen?  Don't knock it till you try it.
I said at the end that I was planning on it later, and that I was responding based on others responses, and the lackluster effort that was Reloaded.  I also said I was reserving my final judgment until them, and this was a preliminary impression.  Did you just happen to skim over that part?

Quote from: Weak2ndActAnd you know this... how?  I scratch my head at how everyone can hold the first movie in such high regard and slam the sequels.

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE WANTED INSTEAD?  And don't say 'no corny dialogue,' 'less philosophy,' and the typical complaints (which by the way, I must point out-- if those are your gripes, rewatch M1, they're all there too).  I'm talking story/scenes/themes etc.  If this whole series has gone so wrong, where could it have gone right?
It's amusing to me that your name is Weak2ndAct, and that's essentially what Reloaded was.  Revolutions aside, of course.  But I jest.  Seriously, I'll get back to you on what I want, considering that I haven't seen the third yet.  As for now, I'd like some new insights, some answers, some sound thought, some surprises, some compelling drama, and some good storytelling.  That was absent from Reloaded, which is why I'm so skeptical.  I think the biggest problem I have is this Superman syndrome Neo has undertaken, which pretty much negates all battles he participates in.  He can just fly away no matter how many Smiths are thrown his way.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaDid you just happen to skim over that part
No, I read this...
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI think this is proof positive, just judging from what I have heard, that the Wachowski brothers wrote a check that their asses simply couldn't cash.
Quote from: Onomatopoeia
As for now, I'd like some new insights, some answers, some sound thought, some surprises, some compelling drama, and some good storytelling.
I'd like that stuff in any movie I see.  This vague response is exactly what I'm talking about.
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaHe can just fly away no matter how many Smiths are thrown his way.
Well, that doesn't exactly happen in Revolutions...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SHAFTRAnyone want my Reloaded disc?  I want to just imagine there was only The Matrix and the trilogy never existed.

Wouldn't it be better to imagine the Matrix as two movies? The first one, and then Reloaded/Revolutions meshed into one movie? Two movies would be perfect, given the duality themes (Oracle/Architect, Neo/Smith, Zion/Matrix). Did the story need an extra movie just for profit?