Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

wilberfan

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD Actor Confirms Potential 4-Hour Cut For Netflix

Just yesterday a not-so-wild rumor appeared, suggesting that Quentin Tarantino is in talks with Netflix to bring an extended cut of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to the streaming platform – similar to the extended version of The Hateful Eight that's currently available on the service. Turns out that story was more than just a rumor, as an actor from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has confirmed that Tarantino is very much in talks with Netflix to super-size the film for streaming. On a recent episode of The Mutuals podcast (via The Playlist), actor Nicholas Hammond (who plays Sam Wanamaker) said the filmmaker will likely deliver a 4-hour cut of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to Netflix:

The promise is that like his other film, The Hateful Eight, they just done a 4-hour Netflix version. And I think they're talking about doing the same. There are some actors like Tim Roth, wonderful actors, who never even made it into the film. I mean, their entire roles got cut.

Roth wasn't the only actor whose part was ultimately cut to make the 2 hour, 45 minute runtime. James Marsden, who played Burt Reynolds (a very cool meta-role), was also cut from the film. That a longer cut of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood exists is no secret, and the idea that we might get to see Tarantino's original version (or something like it) is extremely exciting – even if it is divided into four chapters like the extended cut of The Hateful Eight. Of course, it'll probably be a couple of years or so before that version comes to Netflix, giving you plenty of time to see the current iteration in theaters again (and again... and again).

Alethia

Jeremy Blackman

For whatever reason, I just can't stop thinking about this movie. And every criticism I hear or read just seems to deepen my appreciation. So I guess I really do love it.

Spoil:

Spoiler: ShowHide
I heard a surprising insight on the Bruce Lee scene. Cliff is an unreliable narrator there; we're seeing his memory in a potentially twisted and cartoonish way. Did he really make that big a dent in the car? Was Bruce Lee really that ridiculous and arrogant? Perhaps not. Maybe the events unfolded in a similar way, but things seem pitched at 150%.

WorldForgot

^ Yes and another detail there is apparently
Spoiler: ShowHide
an anachronistic Tora Tora Tora!! board, which introduces the memory

Quote from: A Life in Cinema, A Cinema In Life by Brad StevensPeter Burra's 1942 essay on A Passage to India is relevant here. Burra sees the arts as having "one common subject for discussion - the life that is lived and known by men: and since it is not at once apparent why men who are intimately involved in living that life should desire to contemplate so immediate an experience in any remoter way, another activity (criticism), as old as themselves, has attended upon the arts from their beginning, which has constantly and variedly, but never quite satisfactorily attempted to explain the reasons for their being."
[...]
For De Palma - who, in Burra's terms, is as much a critic as an artist - the relationship between reality and fiction is never unproblematic, never a question of simply representing, in a crude one-to-one manner, something which can be comprehended by paying close attention to surface details (the assumption made by advocates of the ''realist' school). On the contrary, reality can only enter a film via technical devices which are far from neutral. De Palma's obsession with reworking Alfred Hitchock's masterpieces - taking apart specific components of Rear Window (1954), Vertigo (1958), Psycho (1960) in order to grasp their function, to see what happens when they are stretched beyond a certain point - suggests that his primary project is to establish how cinema relates to the society which produced it, to ascertain whether Hitchcock's overt stylisation insulates his films within hermetically abstract realms, or constitutes a form of distanciation enabling stringent critiques of patriarchal culture.

Tarantino, as much a critic and cineaste empath as film has, employs the same sense of loving, introspective misdirection and post-modern moral play. Perception can keep you so removed as to take Orange's construction onto your White. These are the stories we tell about each other. A memory-play, using nostalgia against us.

impressions of impressions (yes spoilz): ShowHide
Cliff and Rick, Roman and Sharon, they speed across LA framed in Aldrich velocity. Aldritch,  endearing us in profane fantasies, rose out of apprenticeship and TV, too. The list of storied careers is probably long and outside my current noodle. And its the manipulation of persona across TV and Film both, across decadez of work and fatefulness between crew artisans, that QT adores - that end gag,  how endeared we are to toxic habit, personal historiez writ large in generative time jumps.

Moral and political crit so immediate, part of any social media environment, " Wokeness as a resentment of society’s unrealistic standards coupled with an intolerance of the existential terror of not conforming to any kind of standard", with mediums that are quite literally clipping parts of the national conversation, I imagine this resentment to have been a part of the across dichotomies of moral commitment. A hot-button in the 60's that only gets hotter the more hypernormalized we become. It's no wonder his script's third acts continue to wallop.

"That's an old trick played by the networks."

QTz

csage97

Quote from: wilberfan on August 02, 2019, 08:39:06 PM

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD Actor Confirms Potential 4-Hour Cut For Netflix

Just yesterday a not-so-wild rumor appeared, suggesting that Quentin Tarantino is in talks with Netflix to bring an extended cut of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to the streaming platform – similar to the extended version of The Hateful Eight that's currently available on the service. Turns out that story was more than just a rumor, as an actor from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has confirmed that Tarantino is very much in talks with Netflix to super-size the film for streaming. On a recent episode of The Mutuals podcast (via The Playlist), actor Nicholas Hammond (who plays Sam Wanamaker) said the filmmaker will likely deliver a 4-hour cut of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to Netflix:

The promise is that like his other film, The Hateful Eight, they just done a 4-hour Netflix version. And I think they're talking about doing the same. There are some actors like Tim Roth, wonderful actors, who never even made it into the film. I mean, their entire roles got cut.

Roth wasn't the only actor whose part was ultimately cut to make the 2 hour, 45 minute runtime. James Marsden, who played Burt Reynolds (a very cool meta-role), was also cut from the film. That a longer cut of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood exists is no secret, and the idea that we might get to see Tarantino's original version (or something like it) is extremely exciting – even if it is divided into four chapters like the extended cut of The Hateful Eight. Of course, it'll probably be a couple of years or so before that version comes to Netflix, giving you plenty of time to see the current iteration in theaters again (and again... and again).

Amazing! And just as I was thinking I wish the movie were actually longer.

Alethia

The man is living his best life.

Alethia

This is playing in IMAX at certain AMCs for a week! Getting to see this on all the formats. What a time to be alive.

Something Spanish

Thanks eward, don't think I would have known if you hadn't posted, it's playing in one AMC where I'm at that is unfortunately not my local one (damn you The Rock), but totally worth the drive. Seen it three times, drove out of my way to watch it in a Cinemark theater because I love their screens, so an IMAX viewing is a must.

I hear the New Bev print is pristine, real drag I can't see it on film. Sure I will eventually. I would be a New Bev regular were I an Angeleno

Robyn

He started his career with a heist movie and obviously wants to wrap it up with another one. He's just doing research.

wilberfan

jviness02

Anyone else realize the red-headed Manson chick in the climax is Doris from The Master?

Alethia

I realized that last viewing. Decidedly less sweet here lol considering she's playing a character who irl went on to become the longest-serving female inmate in California state history.