Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

RudyBlatnoyd

But then if it is pretty much a straight adaptation of Vineland... why not just come out and say it when they announced the movie? There wasn't any secrecy around Inherent Vice. It has to be more complicated than that. I'm guessing the Oil/TWBB comparison is closer to the truth ie some of the same characters and plot elements but reworked and reshaped quite drastically.

Lots of Bees

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on February 01, 2024, 01:46:19 AMBut then if it is pretty much a straight adaptation of Vineland... why not just come out and say it when they announced the movie? There wasn't any secrecy around Inherent Vice. It has to be more complicated than that. I'm guessing the Oil/TWBB comparison is closer to the truth ie some of the same characters and plot elements but reworked and reshaped quite drastically.

I mean you can hear Leo saying "you called me" on the payphone and in the book in like the first 10 pages there's a scene where he says the same thing outside a supermarket. Clearly the same scene.

I'd imagine they didn't come out with it directly because it will be called something else, as the town seems to be named Baktan Cross, not Vineland. I wouldn't be surprised if characters have different names. Also, the modern political elements will certainly make it different from the novel. In this way, I see the Oil/TWBB comparisons.

But as for the scenes we're seeing so far, especially the beginning of the book, it seems the exact same. And I don't recall any scenes from TWBB lifted directly from Oil (correct me if I'm wrong)

SaunchSmilax

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on February 01, 2024, 01:46:19 AMBut then if it is pretty much a straight adaptation of Vineland... why not just come out and say it when they announced the movie? There wasn't any secrecy around Inherent Vice. It has to be more complicated than that. I'm guessing the Oil/TWBB comparison is closer to the truth ie some of the same characters and plot elements but reworked and reshaped quite drastically.

So many reason man, but I'll leave you with a quote from Gary Valentine:

"I'm a showman. It's my calling. I don't know how to do anything else, it's what I'm meant to do. I mean every since I was a kid I've been a song and dance man."

Sorry but at this point y'all keep comparing adapting Pynchon to adapting Sinclair and that's outrageously silly. PTA is the ONLY filmmaker Pynchon has ever let adapt one of his books. The dude is quite frankly one of the greatest American novelists (if not the greatest). PTA has too much respect for him to do an "inspired by" adaptation. That coupled with the fact that he's talked several times over the years about trying to adapt Vineland...
"All I ever wanted was a cool '78 'Vette and a house in the country."

SaunchSmilax

Quote from: Lots of Bees on February 01, 2024, 02:00:22 AMBut as for the scenes we're seeing so far, especially the beginning of the book, it seems the exact same. And I don't recall any scenes from TWBB lifted directly from Oil (correct me if I'm wrong)

"And it is in the humble opinion of this narrator that this is not just "Something That Happened." This cannot be "One of Those Things." This, please, cannot be that."

PaulElroy35

Quote from: SaunchSmilax on February 01, 2024, 02:06:48 AM

So many reason man, but I'll leave you with a quote from Gary Valentine:

"I'm a showman. It's my calling. I don't know how to do anything else, it's what I'm meant to do. I mean every since I was a kid I've been a song and dance man."

Sorry but at this point y'all keep comparing adapting Pynchon to adapting Sinclair and that's outrageously silly. PTA is the ONLY filmmaker Pynchon has ever let adapt one of his books. The dude is quite frankly one of the greatest American novelists (if not the greatest). PTA has too much respect for him to do an "inspired by" adaptation. That coupled with the fact that he's talked several times over the years about trying to adapt Vineland...

Yes but he also said he couldnt find a way for it to work when trying to adapt it. Maybe he has found a way but in doing so its more a loose version set in modern day. For all we know that is the case and Pynchon signed off on it.

Heisenberg

Has there ever been a time when a novel was being adapted and the trades kept that a secret? That's what doesn't make sense to me. Both previous times he adapted a novel, it was known before they started shooting. Even if it's just inspired by Vineland, wouldn't Pynchon be getting an inspired by credit? Why would there be so much secrecy? That's why I keep thinking that this is different enough to not be considered an adaptation by the trades, otherwise they would've said this is based on Vineland.

Heisenberg

Quote from: Vicko99 on February 01, 2024, 05:47:49 AMLeo, Regina and Chase being directed by Paul

https://twitter.com/dailyleodicapri/status/1752979614224544233?t=CFyKvMI1-Lem5X-uRLIMIw&s=19

Very brave of that extra or crew member to take their phone out and start recording them at such close proximity, unless they were given permission to.

Vicko99

Quote from: Heisenberg on February 01, 2024, 08:34:21 AMHas there ever been a time when a novel was being adapted and the trades kept that a secret? That's what doesn't make sense to me. Both previous times he adapted a novel, it was known before they started shooting. Even if it's just inspired by Vineland, wouldn't Pynchon be getting an inspired by credit? Why would there be so much secrecy? That's why I keep thinking that this is different enough to not be considered an adaptation by the trades, otherwise they would've said this is based on Vineland.

where tf would pynchon get a credit if it just started shooting and not even the title has been revealed yet???

can some of y'all use your brains for a sec

Heisenberg

Quote from: Vicko99 on February 01, 2024, 09:30:56 AM
Quote from: Heisenberg on February 01, 2024, 08:34:21 AMHas there ever been a time when a novel was being adapted and the trades kept that a secret? That's what doesn't make sense to me. Both previous times he adapted a novel, it was known before they started shooting. Even if it's just inspired by Vineland, wouldn't Pynchon be getting an inspired by credit? Why would there be so much secrecy? That's why I keep thinking that this is different enough to not be considered an adaptation by the trades, otherwise they would've said this is based on Vineland.

where tf would pynchon get a credit if it just started shooting and not even the title has been revealed yet???

can some of y'all use your brains for a sec

My point is usually when a film goes into production that is based on a novel, the announcement of said film includes the fact that it is based on a novel. When TWBB was announced, it was said to be based on Oil. When IV was announced, it wasn't a secret as to what it was. This kind of secrecy surrounding a new film from an acclaimed filmmaker always has meant it's considered an original story. If it was Vineland, they would've said so. If it is Vineland, then this might be the first example of a novel adaptation not being announced for what it is by the trades.

RudyBlatnoyd

Cynical explanation: they're downplaying the Vineland aspect because so many people disliked PTA's previous Pynchon adaptation and they don't want a load of negative coverage online before they're even done shooting the thing...

Heisenberg

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on February 01, 2024, 10:08:15 AMCynical explanation: they're downplaying the Vineland aspect because so many people disliked PTA's previous Pynchon adaptation and they don't want a load of negative coverage online before they're even done shooting the thing...

I could see this being the case. I do wish it was set in the 80s if this really is Vineland. That's a decade I would like to see PTA return to.

Find Your Magali

While it's also more practical to set the story in 2024 than in 1984, I would suggest that PTA, in adapting the book, wants his movie to incorporate what he sees as some of the parallels between 1984 and 2024. In 1984, hippies and countercultural types had to come to terms with Reagan's reelection and the reality that it was his vision that would guide a conservative America moving forward. In 2024, liberals and progressives (PTA likely among them) are faced with the possibility of a second Trump presidency as the world around them fails to make progress on several existential issues that hold little interest for the far right (the ecological aspect, especially, perhaps). Even though this movie will come out after the upcoming election, I don't think the election result -- one way or the other -- will change the overall unease and sense of dislocation in the United States right now for certain demographics. DiCaprio is the surrogate for Pynchon's/PTA's writing in that regard. I trust that both of them have something to say about this moment.

SaunchSmilax

Alright some of y'all clearly know nothing about Pynchon so it's kinda useless debating whether it's Vineland or not with you.

Go ahead and google "pictures of Thomas Pynchon" and see how many come up. Then tell me why you think they're not blasting his name around this production...

SaunchSmilax

Quote from: Find Your Magali on February 01, 2024, 11:01:28 AMWhile it's also more practical to set the story in 2024 than in 1984, I would suggest that PTA, in adapting the book, wants his movie to incorporate what he sees as some of the parallels between 1984 and 2024. In 1984, hippies and countercultural types had to come to terms with Reagan's reelection and the reality that it was his vision that would guide a conservative America moving forward. In 2024, liberals and progressives (PTA likely among them) are faced with the possibility of a second Trump presidency as the world around them fails to make progress on several existential issues that hold little interest for the far right (the ecological aspect, especially, perhaps). Even though this movie will come out after the upcoming election, I don't think the election result -- one way or the other -- will change the overall unease and sense of dislocation in the United States right now for certain demographics. DiCaprio is the surrogate for Pynchon's/PTA's writing in that regard. I trust that both of them have something to say about this moment.

Listen to the man with deductive reasoning...well put Magali.