Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

abuck1220

it's been brought to my attention that locke's "vision" leading him to the yellow plane in season one wasn't really a psychic vision, so much as it was a memory of what he "saw" when he time traveled.

whoa.

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 22, 2009, 02:25:31 PM
Quote from: Gamblour. on January 22, 2009, 07:56:28 AM
Why doesn't Desmond remember Faraday?

At that point in time, they didn't know each other. They were in the past when Desmond was still living in the hatch pushing the button. Faraday had to basically do what he did when Desmond freaked out on the helicopter ride to the freighter in Season 4; in his journal he had written, "If anything happens, Desmond Hume will be my constant."

I worded my question wrong, and I had a really long conversation with some friends which didn't sort out anything. I will try this again, apologies.

Desmond, in Season 4, meets Faraday at some point on the island, before the helicopter ride to the freighter and the electrical storm. Why at this point does he not remember meeting Faraday back when he was in the yellow suit and pressing the button in the hatch?

Is it because Desmond is special and he can have his past changed, and at that moment, Faraday did just that, prompting Desmond to wake up and 'remember' meeting Faraday? I think I just figured it out, but feel free to let me know.

WWPTAD?

Kal

Yeah what bothered me about the encounter is that Desmond comes out with the suit and all, but he sees Faraday is breathing and everything is fine outside. So how come he still did not know until later on (whenever its that he discovers the truth that we see on Season 2)?

bonanzataz

they did not go into this in the show (obviously), but here is my theory, based on some observations from some of you other guys.

it is repeatedly said that the future cannot be changed once one goes back in time. lots of you are saying "well what about that guy that was killed? doesn't that affect the future?" no, b/c in the linear timeline, the one that gets us to the present, events are not changed. desmond did NOT really meet faraday when he was back in the hatch and wearing the hazmat suit to go outside, otherwise he would have left the hatch much earlier than he did and the plane wouldn't have even crashed on the island in the first place. just like when he was in the army and met faraday at the university. that never REALLY happened otherwise desmond's whole life would have been different. instead, what faraday did when he went back in time and met desmond was create what in the back to the future universe is an alternate timeline. the present/future is unalterable, but you CAN go back into your past and do things differently. this, i believe, creates traces for the characters in their present. desmond for some reason wakes up with penny and remembers faraday meeting him at the hatch years earlier, but i don't think it's a clear memory of something that happened, more like a feeling, he can feel this alternate reality even though it never occurred in his present. just like how faraday has "desmond hume will be my constant" written in his journals but has no memory of desmond meeting him at the university because it never happened in this reality. abucks argument about locke being able to find the drug plane early on in the series would fit this theory. so you CAN change the future, but it's hazier than just going back in time to change things.

or i'm just totally nuts. what do you think?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ElPandaRoyal

I am with bonanzataz with this one. I think it was referred in The Constant that time travel is something more mental than physical. So you can't change the past, but what you can do is go back to the past and find a constant that works like a memory that can help you change the future. So that guy didn't really die, nor did Penny really have Desmond go to her house and tell her to call him. What Desmond did was implant some sort of a memory that made her call Desmond at the boat in the future. At least that's the way I'm looking at the whole thing.
Si

Pas

Quote from: abuck1220 on January 22, 2009, 04:04:24 PM
it's been brought to my attention that locke's "vision" leading him to the yellow plane in season one wasn't really a psychic vision, so much as it was a memory of what he "saw" when he time traveled.

whoa.

Holy shiiiiiiit that's nice

SiliasRuby

Quote from: bonanzataz on January 23, 2009, 03:36:17 AM
or i'm just totally nuts. what do you think?
Can it be both?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pas

they did not go into this in the show (obviously), but here is my theory, based on some observations from some of you other guys.

it is repeatedly said that the future cannot be changed once one goes back in time. lots of you are saying "well what about that guy that was killed? doesn't that affect the future?" no, b/c in the linear timeline, the one that gets us to the present, events are not changed

Are you referring to the guy that gets the fire arrows in the chest ? I was referring to the Others who were killed. Now when you say that in the linear timeline events are not changed, it is a ''Oceanic-centric'' point of view. Because for everyone that was in contact with the killed Others, events HAVE changed. Their son is dead or whatever. No ? Am I not getting your point ?

Fernando

Request for HELP!

I lost my damn sat signal on wednesday, so obviously I didn't see shit, so I started to dl the two eps. yesterday in the morning, Ep 2 is already dl'd but 1 isn't, so, do you guys know of a good fast torrent for S05E01???????

Please PM me if you find a good one, I won't be clicking to check if someone posts here so PLEASE send me a PM, help a xaxer out to catch up this weekend!!!

This is the useless torrent I've been trying to dl:
LOST.S05E01.HSTV.XviD-PusherCrew (yep, I've tried to dl others with no luck)
currently at fucking 29% for more than 24hrs.

Thanks!

OrHowILearnedTo

the first two episodes will air again saturday night (i think)

anyone else think Dr. Candle's (the host of the orientation videos) son is Miles? It seemed they emphasized the relationship with his baby in the short time we saw him. Plus Miles is psychic, and like his (theorized) dad, is a bit of an asshole.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Pas Rap on January 23, 2009, 09:05:42 AM

it is repeatedly said that the future cannot be changed once one goes back in time. lots of you are saying "well what about that guy that was killed? doesn't that affect the future?" no, b/c in the linear timeline, the one that gets us to the present, events are not changed

Are you referring to the guy that gets the fire arrows in the chest ? I was referring to the Others who were killed. Now when you say that in the linear timeline events are not changed, it is a ''Oceanic-centric'' point of view. Because for everyone that was in contact with the killed Others, events HAVE changed. Their son is dead or whatever. No ? Am I not getting your point ?

read el panda's post, i think he explains it better. the others that die in the altered past don't really die b/c the past cannot be altered. think about it like dickens' christmas carol. scrooge can go in the past, but he can't interact with it or change it. in lost, they can interact with it, but it's still more like just a memory and they still can't change it. even when they change something in their new memory of the past, the only lingering aftereffect in the present is a trace in which a constant (like desmond with faraday or penny) can somehow implant a sort of memory, like deja vu or something. it's not a real or tangible memory, it's more like a feeling.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Fernando

Thanks to mac and bonz for their help, I have a good torrent and a youtube link that is working fine now. :yabbse-smiley:

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on January 23, 2009, 03:35:37 PM
the first two episodes will air again saturday night (i think)

yep, I know they repeat the show on saturday, but I don't know if I'll have my sat signal back. still thanks for the heads up.

abuck1220

looks like ep 2 will run at 7 on wednesday.

it's really cool that we had to wait sooooo long for the premiere...then we get another one in just one week!

Kal

Quote from: abuck1220 on January 25, 2009, 12:45:11 PM
looks like ep 2 will run at 7 on wednesday.

it's really cool that we had to wait sooooo long for the premiere...then we get another one in just one week!

thats usually the way television works :) welcome to earth

bonanzataz