The Master - SPOILERS!

Started by polkablues, August 18, 2012, 01:41:45 AM

gaucho_marx

Quote from: HACKANUT on November 17, 2021, 04:00:54 PM

This strings nicely through both Freddie and Reynolds's psychology.

As long as we are talking similarities between Reynolds and Freddie they both have a thing for secrets. When asked what is in his potion Freddie says secrets. When asked what he would hide in the lining of his coats Reynolds says secrets.

Tdog

Does anybody remember the video essay (I think it was a video essay) from a few years ago that discussed PTA and "The id"?

The thesis was that Daniel, Freddie and Barry were essentially same character but differently evolved versions of the same character. Just wondering if Reynolds fits into that idea now.

If anybody knows the essay I'm referring to then please link.

HACKANUT

I know I've seen that video essay but I can't find it now.

The through line of that theory, for me, is this soul we're watching (Daniel, Freddie, Barry) needs to acquire love in their life. It takes like 100 years.

Now, Reynolds finds love quite a bit earlier than Barry does so I'm not sure the "same soul" theory fits here.

BUT If The Master is our middle act where the Soul learns possibilities of love (Freddie "changing partners" to find connection but ultimately being alone), then Phantom Thread could act as an alternative path there (learning to live with another when you still possess the same drive that drove Plainview to be alone his whole life).

HACKANUT

While I'm here...

So, the phone call in the movie theater. I always assume the call was a dream. But, in the shot when Freddie wakes up in the theater (the signal it was a dream) you can clearly see the phone cord draping around the half wall behind him. Almost like the phone is sitting on the floor next to Freddie. This could just be a continuity error, like the cigarettes in the ashtray after the processing scene, but I want it to be a clue of some kind.

Any guesses?

Tdog

Quote from: HACKANUT on November 21, 2021, 09:50:24 AM
While I'm here...

So, the phone call in the movie theater. I always assume the call was a dream. But, in the shot when Freddie wakes up in the theater (the signal it was a dream) you can clearly see the phone cord draping around the half wall behind him. Almost like the phone is sitting on the floor next to Freddie. This could just be a continuity error, like the cigarettes in the ashtray after the processing scene, but I want it to be a clue of some kind.

Any guesses?

I never noticed that. I'm due a rewatch so will keep a look out for it, I was always under the assumption that it was a dream and that it was just part and parcel of the slipperiness of The Master.

HACKANUT

It seems like 100% a dream considering Dobbs reaction to the Kools n England after this. He's like "...eh cool? Thanks?"  Freddie could have just heard Dobbs was in England now.
It's really that phone cord that gets me. I'm almost positive it's just continuity but I'm looking for meaning!

Alethia

FWIW, the script specifically says the scene is a dream...

Alma

Quote from: HACKANUT on November 21, 2021, 11:16:45 AM
It seems like 100% a dream considering Dobbs reaction to the Kools n England after this. He's like "...eh cool? Thanks?"  Freddie could have just heard Dobbs was in England now.
It's really that phone cord that gets me. I'm almost positive it's just continuity but I'm looking for meaning!

I almost feel like he leaves stuff like this in on purpose, like even though it's meant to be a dream there's enough there that you can read it in a slightly different way if you want.

ono

Given the speculation that this was PTA's most personal film and how disappointed he was with its reception, what if anything can we infer about his personal intentions?  How much of Freddie is him?  How much of PTA's relationship with PSH is reflected in Freddie's relationship with Lancaster?  Or maybe a better question: Why do you think it's so personal?  Maybe it's just because of the primal aspects of Freddie, and one of the reasons I like the film so much.  He seems to be able to tap into some feelings of masculism that are really hard to express otherwise.

Drill

Quote from: ono on January 10, 2022, 12:14:40 PM
how disappointed he was with its reception

When did he say that?

ono

pynchonikon

For me the real charm of this movie lies on the fact that nobody will ever be able to 100% unveil what it really means, or why it is so personal for PTA. Amongst many other sources/references, he was partly influenced by Pynchon when he wrote the script (he was finishing it at the same period when started working on IV), but he colored the characters primarily with humanity, and then with anything else. It can always mean anything and at the same time nothing. A mystery destined to remain unsolved forever.

wilberfan

Someone posted this over in r/PTA.  Some beach footage I've never seen before either...

https://www.bazidoine.com/features.html

Tdog

HACKANUT

Quote from: Tdog on January 17, 2022, 06:54:01 PM
Holy shit!

I'm trying to play it cool but... ya... this is some of the coolest shit I've ever seen.  :shock: