Stay Alive

Started by w/o horse, March 27, 2006, 01:32:29 PM

w/o horse

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441796/
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/stayalive/

I saw this last night as part of extended birthday celebrations for a friend.  I went in drunk off my ass and still didn't enjoy a single second of the movie.  I don't think anyone else did either because towards the end I loudly said "This could happen to you" right after an 'intense' moment and the theater laughed.  Helping people through videogames and silly shit.

I felt kind of band for Malcolm in the Middle because this movie is basically him saying "I'm never going to be a distinguished actor" and "I'll always kind of look like I'm twelve."

So here's the topic and this is probably the end of the discussion.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Pozer

Drunk or nay, you should be ashamed of yourself.  You do realize that LTCGHI opened the same night, right?

Neil

The actual worst movie I've ever watched, ever was "House Of The Dead" by that Uwe Boll person...But this film looks like it could have some serious cometition

"Don't you get it? When you die in the game you die for real!"

I think that says it all
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2006, 02:13:47 PM"Don't you get it? When you die in the game you die for real!"

Whoa. Déjà vu.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil

Infinite "Ha's"

On a side note, fuck this movie...I don't usually hate a film without seeing it, but i think I'm justified...It's happened before, and I'm sure it will happen again...
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

pete

wow, losing horse, we are soulmates.  when I saw the trailer for this film right before blockparty and I shouted "man, that looks like shit" and everyone in the theater laughed too.  lets never fight again.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

Did they even advertise for this movie?  When I looked at the weekend box office numbers, I was shocked to see that some movie I've never heard of made $11 million.

polkablues

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on March 27, 2006, 01:32:29 PM
I saw this last night as part of extended birthday celebrations for a friend.  I went in drunk off my ass and still didn't enjoy a single second of the movie.  I don't think anyone else did either because towards the end I loudly said "This could happen to you" right after an 'intense' moment and the theater laughed.  Helping people through videogames and silly shit.

Quote from: pete on March 28, 2006, 12:27:53 PM
wow, losing horse, we are soulmates. when I saw the trailer for this film right before blockparty and I shouted "man, that looks like shit" and everyone in the theater laughed too. lets never fight again.

Guys... I don't care how bad the movie is.  If you're talking in the theater, I'm flicking pennies at the back of your head.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Quote from: hacksparrow on March 28, 2006, 12:53:23 PM
Did they even advertise for this movie?  When I looked at the weekend box office numbers, I was shocked to see that some movie I've never heard of made $11 million.
Lots of TV ads recently.

Quote from: polkablues on March 28, 2006, 01:00:22 PM

wow, losing horse, we are soulmates. when I saw the trailer for this film right before blockparty and I shouted "man, that looks like shit" and everyone in the theater laughed too. lets never fight again.

Guys... I don't care how bad the movie is.  If you're talking in the theater, I'm flicking pennies at the back of your head.

Amen.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: matt35mm on March 28, 2006, 01:11:42 PM
Quote from: hacksparrow on March 28, 2006, 12:53:23 PM
Lots of TV ads recently.

Thank God for DVR, then.

Amen.

Be fair, trailers are free game.  I defy any of you to not make a sound during that awful new Wayans Brothers movie trailer.

matt35mm

Quote from: hacksparrow on March 28, 2006, 03:02:24 PM

Amen.

Be fair, trailers are free game.  I defy any of you to not make a sound during that awful new Wayans Brothers movie trailer.
Hahaha... oh yeah.  I personally don't make noises, but I can accept them during the trailers.  The comments made are unfailingly stupid or useless.  Lots of people feel the need to tell all of us whether or not they plan to see the movie.  It's harmless, but meh.  I've yet to encounter an intelligent or funny comment.

As for the Wayans Brothers trailer, I just sat silently with my jaw agape.

w/o horse

If you see a campy horror movie and don't talk to the screen I hate you.  It's the best part of the experience.  When a good horror movie comes out, I go to the AMC theater on Pine in Long Beach because I know it's going to be a theater congested with all sorts of city dwellers, many screaming and yelling and making guesses at the screen.

To sit quietly is to revere, to take the movie seriously.  And I saw Stay Alive asshats.

And defintely trailers are another great time to speak to the screen.  Towards the credits, inbetween in the green, it's a five second stand-up opportunity.  I like all the jokes.   I like to hear what people are thinking about the movies and I like to hear what they like and don't like and how they react to that.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

matt35mm

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on March 28, 2006, 05:00:19 PM
To sit quietly is to revere, to take the movie seriously.
It's really more to do with respecting the other members of the audience.  I would assume that SOMEBODY actually bought a ticket to really watch that drivel--who am I or you to ruin their experience?  That just kind of makes it justifiable not to go to the movies.

Admittedly, I never go to a movie that I don't really want to watch, so I'm never in a situation where I'm cool with people talking to the screen--because I want to watch the movie.

Truthfully, I don't think that movies make for a great communal experience.  At least not for me.  That's what theatre--as in the stage--should be.  And yet, people are (perhaps too) polite and quiet while watching theatre, and too casual and loud at the movies.  It depends on the piece of theatre and the movie, but that's my general feeling regarding audience behavior.

But yeah, it's probably part of why people are more and more preferring to rent movies than to go to the movies.  The giant screen and sound is supposed to make it easier to get hypnotized by the movie, but in reality, there are more and more distractions at the movies.  I still go to the movies as much as I can, but I usually find the other people distracting on some level, even if just on the level that I mentioned in the sexual intercourse thread.

pete

I challenge you to not talk during the second Star Wars of xXx or in a good way, the third one.  there are instances when I'm in a theater and others have improved the experience by participating in the film, I'm just trying to do my part.  there are scenes that no one can stand and everyone is just waiting for the one person to say something that's been on everyone's mind.  there are also fun scenes that really pump you up and it's fun to chant "kick his ass" with an entire theater.  I don't do it 99% of the time, but there are films that are so bad or so fun that you just can't contain your disgust/ excitement and just have to say something, usually you'd know too, from the vibe of the audience.  trailers and also amongst friends (not the rob weiss craptacular) is where I practice and develop my sensitivity to the audience mojo (also working in a little indie theater helps you notice the collective reaction of the crowd).  if an theater can laugh or squirm out loud or scream in horror during parts of the film, then it's ripe for talking too, just appropriate talking, with appropriate sounds that go with the appropriate scenes.  I've talked in maybe ten instances in my whole life, and so far the theater has always been kind to me.  I've thrown ice to people with loud cellphone beeps, stood up to block the view of a guy who wouldn't stop making witless comments and then later farted in his face, I know the threshold.  and it matt or hack wanna flick pennies at my head, I'll laugh it off and later recount the times with my friends when some angry patron flicked a penny at my head for chanting "kick his ass" during the yoda and dokou showdown.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Quote from: pete on March 28, 2006, 05:40:37 PM
I challenge you to not talk during the second Star Wars of xXx or in a good way, the third one.  there are instances when I'm in a theater and others and improved the experience by participating in the film, I'm just trying to do my part.  there are scenes that no one can stand and everyone is just waiting for the one person to say something that's been on everyone's mind.  there are also fun scenes that really pump you up and it's fun to chant "kick his ass" with an entire theater.  I don't do it 99% of the time, but there are films that are so bad or so fun that you just can't contain your disgust/ excitement and just have to say something, usually you'd know too, from the vibe of the audience.  trailers and also amongst friends (not the rob weiss craptacular) is where I practice and develop my sensitivity to the audience mojo (also working in a little indie theater helps you notice the collective reaction of the crowd).  if an theater can laugh or squirm out loud or scream in horror during parts of the film, then it's ripe for talking too, just appropriate talking, with appropriate sounds that go with the appropriate scenes.  I've talked in maybe ten instances in my whole life, and so far the theater has always been kind to me.  I've thrown ice to people with loud cellphone beeps, stood up to block the view of a guy who wouldn't stop making witless comments and then later farted in his face, I know the threshold.  and it matt or hack wanna flick pennies at my head, I'll laugh it off and later recount the times with my friends when some angry patron flicked a penny at my head for chanting "kick his ass" during the yoda and dokou showdown.

I'm sure you're right.

Farting in the face of the guy who makes the stupid comments... see, I've only had experience with the stupid comments.

As long as you stick to your key word of "appropriate," then fine.  There are movies meant to be more crowd-pleasing or crowd-involving.  I don't really see talking as akin to laughing or screaming at the parts the audience is meant to, though.  You're supposed to laugh and scream.  My only beef is when people do it inappropriately.

Like, for example, when I watch a DVD with some people, and it's not a full blown theatrical experience, but we are sitting down to watch this movie, some people think they can talk all the way through.  Or in screenings for classes, people laugh at things that aren't even funny--not even to them, I'd bet.  They wouldn't laugh if they were seeing it alone, but they laugh at a mildly cheesy part at one of those somewhat more scaled back screenings because they think it's... I don't know... cool or something.  I'm not sure how to fully describe their motivations, but I do that know social pressure fits somewhere into it.  This is a tangent, by the way, and I'm not speaking about regular movie theaters.

Oh, when we saw Grizzly Man.  I'm sure that's something you can appreciate as being extremely annoying.  I saw it on DVD with maybe 25 people at a little screening we had in a lounge.  EVERY opportunity to laugh or comment at Tredwell, the crowd took, and amped it up even more because it seemed to be expected.  It's as if the expectation of a stupid comment created the need for one.  And these are people that might giggle to themselves a couple of times if they were watching it alone.

I do know that the few perfectly timed and executed comments can be great, though.  I'm only just now remembering a few of those that I've had with a friend of mine who was particularly skilled at that.  We had some good times.  It was usually when it was just he and I watching Pearl Harbor or something, but anyway... I'm sure your 10 or so comments were closer to the actually funny comments.

As for the people talking during Grizzly Man, I STILL want to throw pennies at their heads.