NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It was the first cover I found, that's not the American one.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

I can't recommend this game highly enough.  It's like a violence orgy, and you're the birthday girl.
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

http://spikedhumor.com/articles/22282/WoW_Funeral_Ambush_Video.html

So an avid player of WoW dies in real life and his guild decides to have a funeral for him and another guild decides to ambush the funeral.

The quality of that video is shit. Not being a player of WoW i can just imagine the horrendous lag that the event would cause my computer. But still, the questions that arise from an act like this concerning human deceny, morals, and ethics juxstaposed with the reality of the video game world are mind boggling.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah that is a very pixelated video. You can't read anything.

While it may seem shocking that someone would do this, this kind of thing is allowed, even encouraged, by the game mechanics. World PvP (as opposed to PvP in isolated "battlegrounds") is a huge part of any PvP server. That's what makes a "PvP" server different from a "Normal" server... world PvP. You have to expect it. If I participated in said e-funeral, I would have completely expected what happened. Several horde guilds on my server have what they call "gank days," where large groups will wreak havoc on players half their level (or, as happened to me, camp the hallway outside BWL). Honestly, Blizzard probably envisions an alliance guild coming to the rescue and a highly balanced PvP battle ensuing, but that kind of thing just doesn't happen very often. Also note that they certainly didn't have to have this funeral in Winterspring, a "contested" area. They could have safely conducted their business elsewhere.

That said, players of the opposite faction also happen to be human beings, and you don't always have to take advantage of what the game allows. I've noticed, for example, that WoW tends to exacerbate jingoistic or racist feelings in people if such feelings already exist. I helped out a horde lowbie in Tirisfal Glades once by taking care of the mess he had gotten himself into (he subsequently attacked me, got flagged for PvP, and was one-shotted, but that's beside the point) and one of my group members was perplexed by my generosity. "We are at war," he said.

EDIT: a larger, clearer (but less creative) video here.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

squints

GTA cited as car-chase motive
New York man gets two charges after car chase with cops; thought he could outrun police because he did it in Grand Theft Auto.

From the life-does-not-always-imitate-art department, an Albany, New York, resident was sentenced to jail for second-degree assault and attempted first-degree assault, reports the online branch of Capital 9 News.

Tyrone McMillan was taken into custody last year after leading police on a car chase when officers attempted to pull him over for a parole violation. After slamming into two cars, McMillan told police that he thought he could outrun them because he played games from Rockstar's controversial Grand Theft Auto franchise.

McMillan, in his 30s, apparently thought that his gaming skills translated to the real world. His experience navigating the fictional streets of San Andreas and Vice City with a PlayStation 2 controller led to a 55-minute real-life car chase, part of which had his girlfriend's 11-year-old daughter and her 10-year-old cousin in the backseat. The girls leapt from the moving car while it was turning onto a highway.

But not even hours of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney could help him today, as a court judge slapped him with two concurrent seven-year jail terms. After serving time, he will be on parole for 10 years.

This isn't the first time Rockstar's top-selling franchise has been part of a criminal case. Devin Moore stands trial for the slayings of three Alabama police officers, an act which prosecuting attorneys say was influenced by playing Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Fernando

Quote from: Walrus on May 10, 2006, 12:14:04 PM
Is anyone as excited about this Mario revamp as I am?

I am, although I'm not too crazy about their graphics but it'll be great to play this new version.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

So I guess there was some poster at E3 that caused some commotion...

E3 2005: Fallout 3 Confirmed, But Not at E3

What we do know...
by David Adams

May 19, 2005 - Just a few days ago we spotted a promising sign from the E3 show floor which suggested that old-school RPG players might see a dream realized: Fallout 3 is actually happening.

As these things usually go, the truth turns out to be good and bad news. The good, even great, news is that IGN confirmed with Bethesda that Fallout 3 is indeed in development. Sadly, however, the sign we saw didn't point to a demo or any showing of the game; it was meant to confirm the title's existence.

While we aren't going to check out Fallout 3 this week as we'd hoped, it's reassuring to know the apocalyptic RPG franchise -- rescued from the fading embers of Interplay -- is alive and wriggling. Given Bethesda's impressive RPG track record (The Elder Scrolls, anyone?), Fallout is in good hands. We'll just have to wait a little longer to see what magic those hands are working.

Reinhold

i'm looking into buying WoW. i've got some friends here who are WoW addicts; somehow they made it sound like fun to play with them over the summer instead of exercising/working/dating.

i'm completely new to it except for playing WC1 and 2bne

is there action that you can't get from playing an offline RPG in the non-PvP servers? the blizzard site makes it sound like these are lame while the PvP ones are suicide.

also, is it worth trying as a beginner or am i just gonna get creamed repeatedly? i understand that I can't go around attacking level 60 characters or NPC's that are way out of my league, but i'll want to see some action relatively soon. how long does it take before you can start having fun?

what servers are you on? my friend Ryn recommended something that sounded like "Kadgar" but i have no idea if that's the actual spelling. my friend Phil plays on something else.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Fomaphone on May 14, 2006, 11:47:46 PM
is there action that you can't get from playing an offline RPG in the non-PvP servers? the blizzard site makes it sound like these are lame while the PvP ones are suicide.

also, is it worth trying as a beginner or am i just gonna get creamed repeatedly? i understand that I can't go around attacking level 60 characters or NPC's that are way out of my league, but i'll want to see some action relatively soon. how long does it take before you can start having fun?

what servers are you on? my friend Ryn recommended something that sounded like "Kadgar" but i have no idea if that's the actual spelling. my friend Phil plays on something else.

Which friend would you rather play with? I think realm type considerations should be secondary. Unless it's an RP server... which you should avoid at all costs.

Khadgar is a "normal" server, which means that players can't fight each other out in the world unless they flag themselves for PvP. On a PvP server, battle is open in any contested area. And if you go into an opposing faction's area (which will be a low level area), they can initiate battle with you, but you can't initiate battle with them unless they've flagged themselves for PvP. You are automatically flagged for PvP when you enter a non-friendly zone.

Remember that world PvP is really secondary to battlegrounds on any server type. And battlegrounds exist on every server. Also, you might find that world PvP is more of an annoyance than a source of quality PvP. Once you get into the 30s, you have to go to places where the opposing faction (no matter their level) can openly beat you into the ground, sometimes repeatedly. This can make soloing in some spots difficult or impractical. I usually stick to the instances anyway, so it doesn't much matter if you can regularly find groups. WoW is really about the instances.

The first battleground is Warsong Gulch in the 10-19 bracket. Then you have WSG and Arathi Basin in 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, and 60. And finally, Alterac Valley in 50-60. Battlegrounds are extremely popular, and that's basically where the PvP is.

That said, Blizzard has plans to revitalize world PvP, and it can be very fun with certain classes (rogues, for example).

Anyway, just a word of advice. Have your friend loan you 10 gold so you can get an easy start. Get mining, mine copper, sell it on the Auction House. Get enchanting (don't try to level it) and disenchant greens after you've used them. Sell that stuff on the AH. Once you get into the 20s, I'd recommend starting at least one other character to exploit the rest system. Abandon a character immediately if you don't enjoy playing that class.

Reinhold

got it on ebay used (with a valid cd key) today for $23.50 shipped. got a 60-day card for $25 shipped free.  i should be able to set it up some time next week when i get home.

what servers are you guys on?

can i make both human and orc characters?  i prefer alliance, but i might make an orc to play with Ryn. 
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Jeremy Blackman

If you're on a PvP server, you can only choose one faction. On a Normal server, you can have both alliance and horde, and you can send money between them using the cross-faction auction house.

I'm on Sargeras. Raikus is on Firetree. That's all I remember.

pete

looking for an old SNES game.
I played this game when I was in 4th grade, a wee boy in Taiwan, it was quite similar to other side scroller beat them ups like finalfight and streets of rage 2.  you could choose between I think four or five characters, and at one point you fight on the wing of an airplane.  it's a bit more difficult than streets of rage 2.  but it works the same way--you can punch, kick, jump, and do the special move.
does anyone know what I'm talking about?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton