Paul Thomas Anderson - Masterworks by Adam Nayman

Started by kingfan011, October 20, 2020, 12:53:16 PM

kingfan011

Just got my copy beautiful book. I went straight to the interviews and will go to the essays next. Very interesting to hear Elswit mentioning blue screen on Inherent Vice. Never occurred to me that would have to be used.

Also would be fascinated to one day here what exactly it was that happened on Vice to sever their relationship. I have a feeling it will never come out but just curious.

Tdog

Quote from: kingfan011 on October 24, 2020, 06:39:25 PM
Just got my copy beautiful book. I went straight to the interviews and will go to the essays next. Very interesting to hear Elswit mentioning blue screen on Inherent Vice. Never occurred to me that would have to be used.

It was definitely used in the shot outside the Golden fang headquarters anyway.

kingfan011

Quote from: Tdog on October 25, 2020, 03:22:27 AM

Interesting never thought of that. I mean I certainly assumed the reason for the many tight establishing shots is because something modern was just out of frame.

wilberfan

As an L.A. locations enthusiast, I remember going, "Whoah! Where the hell is THAT building?!" during my first viewing. Didn't occur to me that it could have been CGI at the time, as I guess I consider Paul kind of a "purist" when it comes to visuals.

Tdog

Quote from: kingfan011 on October 25, 2020, 11:43:08 AM
Quote from: Tdog on October 25, 2020, 03:22:27 AM

I mean I certainly assumed the reason for the many tight establishing shots is because something modern was just out of frame.

That's probably how you do a 70's set L.A movie with big time actors for 20 million. Having said that it kind of felt like the the lack of establishing shots was more of a choice.

Alethia

Been ripping through this and while Nayman's writing is quite good, this really could have used another round of line editing - numerous typos throughout, as well as some unforgivable-from-this-nerd's-perspective mistakes (i.e. misquoting "Tame the Cunt" as "Tame the Pussy".) Nayman was just on Increment Vice last week (the final ep, btw, goes up this Friday) and had a lot of very insightful things to say, would recommend.

wilberfan

Wonder if he's self-censoring?  Is "pussy" less volatile than "cunt" these days?

wilberfan

Just read the Safdie Boys introduction.  Goosebumps.  Needless to say, I completely share their reaction to Boogie Nights.   I didn't share their passion for early Sandler, but certainly do their regard for P-DL.   Hope the rest of the book is as exciting and rewarding.

d

My copy finally arrived yesterday. (There seems to be an issue with availability, at least on Amazon) Only had time to browse through it. Looks nice but I am a bit disappointed with the design and the choice of stills and photos. It looks really strange when a few very small stills are randomly placed on a page, while one big still might look great full page or at least half page. At the same time set photos (like the one of Anderson sitting next to the wall on the set of Phantom Thread) get two full pages. I am really excited to have it on my bookshelf and hope it will make a good read but the man and his films deserve much better. No disrespect to anyone involved but would love to see it published for example by Taschen.

wilberfan

I am embarrassed to admit that I never picked up on this, despite multiple viewings.  (From the Nayman book)

Quote"...in the film's final moments, [Plainview] will repeat his earlier hammering, with the pickaxe swapped out for a bowling pin."

csage97

Saw this in the bookstore today. I was very tempted to get it. It's beautiful with some really nice artwork. It was $50 CAD though, and I wasn't ready to plunk down the cash. It would make a nice display book on the coffee table or bookshelf, nice to have at-hand for some inspiration. I'll probably get it eventually!

Alma

I've seen Booker nominees that get less promotion than this book.

nomorecoffee

yeah it's a LOT of press. anyway I thought the book is pretty good, wished for more interviews as always, but my main complain is that probably due of limited budget the book features only BTS pictures that are famous and renowned. I hoped to see the man at work from new angles but that's what we got!

wilberfan

I'm not that far into it yet, but does anyone else find the writing a bit....chewy?  I'm not complaining, exactly, it just doesn't flow smoothly for me.  Kinda feels like big mouthfuls of words.  :|