Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Tdog

Anybody else sometimes stop and think "Holy shit PTA is making his next movie RIGHT NOW!". It's exciting!

d

Yep. And it happens during all this madness, with many projects, not just movies, but whole businesses on hold. Of all the things, I would expect the next PTA film to be among the ones cancelled or indefinitely postponed. And still here we are...

Do we know when they are due to finish shooting? Has anyone here who knows more dared to speculate about when the thing can be finished, I mean ready to be released?

pynchonikon

Quote from: d on October 27, 2020, 11:58:12 AM
Yep. And it happens during all this madness, with many projects, not just movies, but whole businesses on hold. Of all the things, I would expect the next PTA film to be among the ones cancelled or indefinitely postponed. And still here we are...

Do we know when they are due to finish shooting? Has anyone here who knows more dared to speculate about when the thing can be finished, I mean ready to be released?

A 12-week filming schedule was mentioned back in late August, which means they"ll wrap in about 20 days providing they're still into that timeline.
In normal times this should be ready for a late Summer/early Autumn release, but now who knows. This will definitely be a 2021 release, though, I can't see this being postponed like the big blockbusters.

Tdog

MGM were looking to sell the new Bond to a streaming service so it's likely they'll look to do the same with their smaller projects.

nomorecoffee

I know that PTA usually loves to go the opposite way when a project ends and he embarks on a new one, but don't you guys feel like this time he's really pushing the concept? From Phantom Thread to Soggy Bottoms it could be his biggest gap so far. What do you guys think?

Rooty Poots

Quote from: nomorecoffee on October 29, 2020, 11:35:42 AM
I know that PTA usually loves to go the opposite way when a project ends and he embarks on a new one, but don't you guys feel like this time he's really pushing the concept? From Phantom Thread to Soggy Bottoms it could be his biggest gap so far. What do you guys think?

I guess I'm confused about what you mean by 'gap'
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

WorldForgot

They mean thematically + tonally, I think.

PDL -> TWBB for example.

Drenk

He's more or less solid and distinct now. So I wouldn't expect any big change.
Ascension.

kingfan011

Quote from: Drenk on October 29, 2020, 04:53:37 PM
He's more or less solid and distinct now. So I wouldn't expect any big change.

Agreed I think the change between PDL and TTBB is the last time that happens. I think he's pretty settled in to his style by now

nomorecoffee

Yes I agree with you guys but thematically I think that Phantom thread looks more like a movie you make at 50yo and this one looks more like something you make in your 20's (a lá boogie nights)? Again it's just assuming and speculation until we see the movie but does that make any sense for you? Also the comeback to anamorphic... It looks like taking a stab to the past to me in some ways, like a nostalgic look back even though I know how much he hates to look back. It feels like he and DDL got a little depressed about getting old at the end of PT production and this colorful and extravagant film it s his answer to that feeling. If that makes any sense for you guys.

EDIT: anyway not to say that I am not excited for this, actually the opposite.... It's been a while I'm not anticipating a project of his like this time. This looks great

Drill

Quote from: nomorecoffee on October 29, 2020, 06:04:27 PM
Yes I agree with you guys but thematically I think that Phantom thread looks more like a movie you make at 50yo and this one looks more like something you make in your 20's (a lá boogie nights)? Again it's just assuming and speculation until we see the movie but does that make any sense for you? Also the comeback to anamorphic... It looks like taking a stab to the past to me in some ways, like a nostalgic look back even though I know how much he hates to look back. It feels like he and DDL got a little depressed about getting old at the end of PT production and this colorful and extravagant film it s his answer to that feeling. If that makes any sense for you guys.

EDIT: anyway not to say that I am not excited for this, actually the opposite.... It's been a while I'm not anticipating a project of his like this time. This looks great

If Jonny Greenwood is doing the score again, which seems very likely, then probably not.

If he brought back Michael Penn or Jon Brion, only then would I start thinking this will be anything like Boogie Nights.

wilberfan

Drill

How soon till they're asked to delete that?

Drenk

They won't. It's just another movie set.
Ascension.

Drill

Quote from: Drenk on October 29, 2020, 07:50:06 PM
They won't. It's just another movie set.

Other people who posted filming notices and set photos were asked by production to delete them. Who knows what constitutes as too much information to them.