Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Tdog

Quote from: jzakko on October 17, 2020, 08:09:37 PM
I feel like Punch-Drunk Love is its own phase.

His biggest two shifts are from Magnolia to PDL, and then PDL to TWBB.

Magnolia->PDL is him loosening up and becoming improvisational, which is when his films became more distinctively his.

PDL->TWBB is him calming down, maturing, with his aesthetic becoming more distinctively formal, less 'fidgety' in his own words.

Right! PDL is the bridge movie; it's the the wind down/coda of Magnolia and the shift into slower "driftier" PTA.

Drill

Rooty Poots

Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

wilberfan

Someone on the crew told me the signs are all made from repurposed face masks and nasal swabs.

Tdog

I'm guessing all the signage doesnt necessarily mean more establishing shots in this one right?

nomorecoffee

knowing how much pta loves researching and making up things properly he would have everything set exactly as it was even if it's 100% out of frame

Rooty Poots

Quote from: nomorecoffee on October 19, 2020, 11:57:44 PM
knowing how much pta loves researching and making up things properly he would have everything set exactly as it was even if it's 100% out of frame

That's true, which makes the rare mistake in that regard stand out. Hopefully there's no Rent-A-Center situation here haha.

Alma

Mike Bauman's now credited as the DP on IMDB. Pretty cool if true.

kingfan011

polkablues

It's possible that this career gaffer whose only DP credit is for a short film from 2009 was chosen by Paul Thomas Anderson to be the cinematographer for his new movie, but it's even more possible that IMDb is an unreliable resource for projects in development that can be edited by anyone with no real oversight.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

My theory is that the studio wants an Oscar nomination, and PTA has showed that he doesn't care about being credited as the DP.
Ascension.

Rooty Poots

Well, with a name like Soggy Bottom, we all must've known a DP was involved.

pynchonikon

Since it's been filmed in the States, the Academy's regulations require to credit someone, but don't they let you anymore to credit more than one person for DP if you want? I searched in the past nominees and there were indeed such cases (the most recent being Ida in 2014).
We know for a fact that the process they're following is, similarly to Phantom Thread, collaborative and that PTA doesn't consider himself a DP, so it makes sense he wouldn't like to take that credit himself alone.

WorldForgot

Quote from: polkablues on October 22, 2020, 12:11:06 AM
It's possible that this career gaffer whose only DP credit is for a short film from 2009 was chosen by Paul Thomas Anderson to be the cinematographer for his new movie, but it's even more possible that IMDb is an unreliable resource for projects in development that can be edited by anyone with no real oversight.

lolll
Polka as the voice of sanity in two threads at once.

wilberfan

If I see OneWheel again, I'll ask him.