Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

jviness02

Now that it's confirmed, I think this is heartwarming, but I guess it could be considered creepy

Drill

Quote from: jviness02 on September 02, 2020, 07:13:55 PM
Now that it's confirmed, I think this is heartwarming, but I guess it could be considered creepy

Why?

Yes

It's remarkable that PTA can still receive funding and theatrical release for a movie like this. Also Haim is not Streisand after all lol. Definitely someone associated with Hoffman. And I'm beginning to suspect Cooper is actually a cameo ala Martin Short in Inherent Vice. Someone they encounter along the way for a subplot 

jviness02

Quote from: Drill on September 02, 2020, 07:26:00 PM

Why?

Someone here called it creepy a few pages back. I should have put an emphasis on the "guess" in writing. I was joking about that one post

ThereWillBeOreos

Quote from: BigSock on September 02, 2020, 07:26:42 PM
It's remarkable that PTA can still receive funding and theatrical release for a movie like this. Also Haim is not Streisand after all lol. Definitely someone associated with Hoffman. And I'm beginning to suspect Cooper is actually a cameo ala Martin Short in Inherent Vice. Someone they encounter along the way for a subplot

Maybe she could be playing his sister?

Alethia

Too many Coops in the kitchen...

pynchonikon

Quote from: jviness02 on September 02, 2020, 07:33:47 PM

Why?

Someone here called it creepy a few pages back. I should have put an emphasis on the "guess" in writing. I was joking about that one post

To clear things up I didn't say I find CAH starring PTA's new to be creepy (actually I do think that's touching), I was talking about him potentially replacing his father as PTA's muse from now on by making several appearances into his movies.

And I'm still not buying that Bradley Cooper has a Martin Short-type of an appearance in this, there was no need to cast him in the first place then, he could just wait to return to the Nightmare Alley set.

Find Your Magali

There is going to be so much intense rooting for Cooper Hoffman to pull off an incredible performance, but we have to remember how unlikely that it. He's never acted on film before; the odds are against this being some great debut by a young actor.

But here's the thing: (1) Trust PTA, he's not going to set the kid up to fail. (2) We have no idea what the tone/approach of this is going to be. We know he's not working with Daniel Day-Lewis, Joaquin Phoenix, etc. Maybe he's going for a more natural/gonzo approach, like Robert Downey Sr. did with the casting in some of his films.

I'm not expecting greatness from Hoffman, but I'm expecting something special and interesting from PTA.

Yes

Quote from: pynchonikon on September 02, 2020, 09:47:30 PM
Quote from: jviness02 on September 02, 2020, 07:33:47 PM

Why?

To clear things up I didn't say I find CAH starring PTA's new to be creepy (actually I do think that's touching), I was talking about him potentially replacing his father as PTA's muse from now on by making several appearances into his movies.

And I'm still not buying that Bradley Cooper has a Martin Short-type of an appearance in this, there was no need to cast him in the first place then, he could just wait to return to the Nightmare Alley set.

I kinda buy it only because this is obviously one of PTA's smallest cast in terms of names and he probably needed at least one big name

Alma

It says Sara Murphy is producing this one and doesn't mention Joanne Sellar and Daniel Lupi. Would be his first film without them.

Yes

Quote from: Alma on September 03, 2020, 04:07:30 AM
It says Sara Murphy is producing this one and doesn't mention Joanne Sellar and Daniel Lupi. Would be his first film without them.

It still mentions Ghoulardi productions and they're credited on IMDB, so I assume they're involved. Weren't they announced when the film was? Only Sarah Murphy is the new takeaway

Tdog

Speaking of Ghoulardi productions, I hope Ghoulardi himself shows up as a character!

ThereWillBeOreos

Might be a troll but Letterboxd is saying this movie is going to be titled The Night of Counting the Years? https://letterboxd.com/film/the-night-of-counting-the-years-2021/

Same title as this flick https://letterboxd.com/film/the-night-of-counting-the-years/ (probably no connection other than title, but hey... cool?)

Tdog

Quote from: ThereWillBeOreos on September 03, 2020, 09:38:36 AM
Might be a troll but Letterboxd is saying this movie is going to be titled The Night of Counting the Years? https://letterboxd.com/film/the-night-of-counting-the-years-2021/

Same title as this flick https://letterboxd.com/film/the-night-of-counting-the-years/ (probably no connection other than title, but hey... cool?)

I'll take anything over Soggy Bottom.

I wonder if the story will unfold over the course of one day/night.

itwasgood

Feels too long of a title for PTA's preference though.